Travisf250

I'm kinda new I have been flying for a few months now in real life and in simulation. I fly in not so big parks and do not have a runway. So my question is what are some 4 channel planes that are not super fast or big that can always belly land without breaking props or other things?

razor02097

Rogue Drone Pilot
You could get a plane with a pusher prop like the easy star or hobby king bixler. The prop is located on the top of the plane and it is designed to belly land

Bayboos

With FT Simple Storch you will not need runway. You have slow flying, high wing plane with the nose rised up high enough to fit 10" prop (not to say it needs one) and a lot of "leg room" to put huge "bush wheels" on (it does not need those either).

You can find more details about ultra light setup (suitable for flying in limited space) in this article:
FT Simple Storch LIGHT

quorneng

Master member
Travisf250
Ultimately it will depend on
1. Just how rough/long the grass is.
2. What sort of planes you want to fly.
Obviously something like the Storch (or a Super Cub) can handle log(ish) & rough(ish) grass but if it is so long and rough that you have to hand launch then belly landing does sort of become the best option and do away the undercarriage all together.

This is exactly where I am at so I have several pusher and some EDFs that are hand launch/belly land and handle the rough grass without damage but they are all on the light side so landing speeds are reasonably low.
I do have a few conventional tractor planes (both belly land and with undercarriage) that could break a prop (or worse) but by careful 'power off' landings I have not broken a prop yet - except of course as the result of a crash!

Last edited:

Travisf250

Yea I have a gamma 370 with a prop saver and it does fine but with out the prop saver it will break a prop or bend the prop shaft. I can only hand launch and belly land the grass is way to tall.

Capt_Beavis

Posted a thousand or more times
Most of the ultra micros have removable landing gear. The Sport Cub S is great for small parks. I haven't broken a prop yet even with the gear left on. If the grass is long enough to make it flip it is soft enough to keep from damaging it. The UMX radian is a great small park plane too but it is 3 channel.

Travisf250

Most of the ultra micros have removable landing gear. The Sport Cub S is great for small parks. I haven't broken a prop yet even with the gear left on. If the grass is long enough to make it flip it is soft enough to keep from damaging it. The UMX radian is a great small park plane too but it is 3 channel.

i have well had the ultra micro t-28 i loved it but the servo went out and crash it bad.i also have a ultra micro habu they are great and easy to fly but i am looking for a step above that trying to work on my skills

Capt_Beavis

Can you post a google map link to the parks where you fly? I would recommend a Delta Ray but I don't like landing it in less than a football field. Small doesn't mean easy to fly, if you can handle the Habu and T-28 you already have skills. My UMX P-51D is my hardest plane to fly. How about a UMX Pitts or SBach? They are 2s systems that reward good skills.

Flynn

I think Landing on grass is something that comes with some practice for sure. A plane with the landing gear very close to the CG will be tough to take off from grass and really tough to land without nosing over. I have a Dynam P-51 that almost needs a pane of glass to take off on. For a new pilot I would recommend the FT Spitfire with a prop saver. Then once you've gotten the hang of landing on the belly, go for something more like the FT Mustang. Don't be discouraged! The guys I fly with all found grass landings to be something to work on but if you keep at it, it will get easier. Personally, my problem was trying to time the stopping of the plane with the landing of the plane. As a result, I would always come in too slow. Good Luck!

Travisf250

Bayboos

That seems to be a big park with the grass mowed frequently. You shoud not have any problems flying high wing planes with bush wheels there.

Bayboos

That's just an impression from the street view. If you check the earth view (from above), you will see that more than a half of this part is open area, surrounded by trees that are not very high. It's a wonderful location for slow to madium speeds plane. I would love to have such park area around; unfortunatelly it's just buildings and forrest over here...

Capt_Beavis

Boy there are a lot of parks around there, do you ever fly at the soccer field? A Delta Ray without the gear on should work well there. In beginner mode you can do full flare and bring it down fairly quickly just make sure to hit some throttle at the end to smooth out the landing.

Travisf250

Boy there are a lot of parks around there, do you ever fly at the soccer field? A Delta Ray without the gear on should work well there. In beginner mode you can do full flare and bring it down fairly quickly just make sure to hit some throttle at the end to smooth out the landing.

When I can I fly at the soccer field but most of the time they have stuff going there. I fly most at the park I posted cause it is always open. It is about 6 inch grass witch is my I can't use landing gear. I'm thinking maybe the aircore or skipper from hobbyking or ft mini guinna.