Grayson Hobby Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Hey Scott, welcome to the forum. How long have you guys been in GA? For some reason I thought Grayson was located elsewhere. And since you're in GA, and it's just a short drive, will you guys be at SEFF this year?

Pilot Scott

FLY LOW
We have been in GA for 9 years (online) but this is our first year as a store front and that explains our absence from the fly in scene this year. Basil and I will be at all the major and some minor events in the upcoming year. Come see us next time you're out this way. We are about 30 miles NE of Atlanta.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
We have been in GA for 9 years (online) but this is our first year as a store front and that explains our absence from the fly in scene this year. Basil and I will be at all the major and some minor events in the upcoming year. Come see us next time you're out this way. We are about 30 miles NE of Atlanta.

Scott, are you the owner of the company?

How is the brick and mortar side of things treating you?

Did you buy out an existing store? I am pretty sure I visited one in that area when I was traveling through with the wife. I'll have to look you up the next time we make a trip to the mountains!

Pilot Scott

FLY LOW
Yep, the shop is doing great considering we have invested zero in advertising. We have a fairly large following. This is the same old Grayson Hobby as before, we just added the store front and the addition of a dealership through Horizon. We have expansion in the works with the business model of a full bore hobby shop (trains, toys, games, etc).

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
You dropped some bank getting in with Horizon :)

Those guys want you to carry $30k minimum of in-stock Horizon merchandise!!!

Jeffrey Saelee

Airplane Dope
I've heard good reviews of the MJV3, and I have a friend that has it and loves it....I think I should get one in the future.

Pilot Scott

FLY LOW
The MJV3 is our best seller and the price is right for such a hot motor. You get the most bang for your buck. We have a thousand on the way. The Super Mega Jet is a great step up.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
The MJV3 is our best seller and the price is right for such a hot motor. You get the most bang for your buck. We have a thousand on the way. The Super Mega Jet is a great step up.
I'm so putting one on my Sky Surfer/Bixler..When do you expect them in?

Pilot Scott

FLY LOW
Ehhhhhhhh.......Yesterday? They should be in this week, fingers crossed. The MJV3, 20a esc and one of our laser cut 6 or 9mm motor mounts will get the job done and push that plane around with some serious authority. The 6 or 9mm motor mount gives you a perfect platform to mount the motor to and will screw and epoxy right on to the Bixlers existing motor tower. You just need to trim the foam back.

StoneKap

Executive Producer
Admin
Mentor
Sorry for being so late to the party... WELCOME to the forum Scott!

Last edited:

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator

Sir,

I am glad to see vendors on the forum. I appreciate the ability to offer feedback. I'm on my 2nd MJV3 and I've never had it malfunction. My first flew north on a plane in a wind that was beyond the pilot's (my) abilities.

I would like to add that I like the combo deals since I still am unsure about matching components and prefer to rely on recommendations of others in whom I choose to trust.

Do you have anyone who shows video reviews of your products? It's nice to see those before deciding on a purchase. I do like the tech specs provided on the website but I would like to see someone offering their opinions of your product.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Do you have anyone who shows video reviews of your products? It's nice to see those before deciding on a purchase. I do like the tech specs provided on the website but I would like to see someone offering their opinions of your product.
One would think that would be DP....buuuuuut, maybe Grayson will be FT's next sponsor?????

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
I initially bought the MJV3 from DP's recommendation. Since his YouTube posts have changed flavor I don't see him making recommendations like that anymore.

PaulT

Mentor
Here's a question for you Scott, I am going to order some Depron foam from you, as you have the best price that I can find, but why is there no consistency with sheet sizes? Every vendor seems to have there own sizes in what ever thickness they stock.
I find this weird but also a little frustrating as you can never really compare apples with apples. Qui?

Pilot Scott

FLY LOW
Hi Jim, Yeah Dave Powers is really the only one that has done videos/reviews of our products. We sponsor the RC Foam Fighters as well. We might have to work something out with FT.

Pilot Scott

FLY LOW
Here's a question for you Scott, I am going to order some Depron foam from you, as you have the best price that I can find, but why is there no consistency with sheet sizes? Every vendor seems to have there own sizes in what ever thickness they stock.
I find this weird but also a little frustrating as you can never really compare apples with apples. Qui?
We get this question a lot. Our white Depron comes in only two sizes 27.5" x 39" Full sheet and 27.5" x 19.5" Half Sheets. All distributors of Depron (true Depron, Depron brand) and there aren't many out there, get their foam straight from the manufacturer cut to their specifications. Why others differ from ours I am not sure. We get ours from Germany cut to maximize the packing for oversize 1 (84" total) to cut the shipping costs to the consumer and we offer the cut or half sheets to lessen it even more and to add variety. Our Black comes in a different size from the white because it is a different manufacturer and that is the box size they offer. The thickness depends on what the original use is/was for. Example, ours was used as insulation and floor underlayment for floors. Others might be getting it from a company that use it for sound dampening on refrigerated box trucks. As far as I know, there is no one extruding EPP or Depron for the sole purpose of model aircraft.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Hey Scott, I just got my MJv3 and the prop adapter that was included with the motor seems to be a bit too big. I put the prop shaft on the motor, slip on the collet, then the prop, then the nut to tighten everything down but it still slips right off? Am I doing something wrong?

e789ee09.jpg

PaulT

Mentor
Thanks for the reply Scott. I am just going to have to wait until my next trip into the U.S. for some full sheets.
Depron is a banned building product up here and it costs more than an arm and a leg to get anything wider than 13 inches.

Status
Not open for further replies.