Great day for Allen Middle School's Science Olympiad team!

earthsciteach

Yesterday, our Science Olympiad team competed in the regional tournament. Along with two other teachers, I coach the team. Science Olympiad is an engineering, science and mathematics competition consisting of 23 different events. We have 15 students on the team dividing the events amongst them.

Yesterday, for the first time, we placed 1st overall in our region. We medaled in 18 of the 23 events; 9 1st place finishes, 7 second place, and 2 third place. We go to the PA state competition on April 27th.

I am so proud of these kids! The team is comprised of the most motivated and talented 7th and 8th graders you could ever meet. They are not kids solely focused on this competition. Almost every one of them participates in music, sports, or both. Of the 15, we have only two boys. And the girls we have are not wall flowers. These are the leaders of the school, academically and socially. What an amazing group! I am so fortunate to be able to work with such talented, driven kids!

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
That's awesome congratulations. These are the kids with a shot of making a difference along the way.

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor
Congrats Teach!!! Sounds like you have a wonderful bunch of students and you couldn't be prouder! Nice to see kids trying to be something!!! Go win state!!!

earthsciteach

Thanks, guys. I am so very proud of them. It makes every minute of stress, worry and hours of work totally worth it when they are successful. Let's not get carried away with the state thing, though. We'd have to go to Nationals in Orlando, then. No idea how we would pay for it! It would probably be the most stressful month for all of us!

teflyer

Full Circle
If you do qualify for nationals at State, I am pretty sure you will be able to find an organization, or the school district, to fund you. At my school, there is an organization that campaigns for funding for our science club. If the school district thinks they can gain from our activities, we get more funding. It is that thing about if the school district sees it beneficial to themselves to fund a competition in order to gain recognition of the school or the school district so that more kids will go to that school.

earthsciteach

I'd love to think that my district would fund us, but they are facing a $7 million budget deficit next year. I'll just be happy to have a job!

teflyer

Full Circle
Ooch! That is quite a sum of money. Hmm... I am pretty sure there must be other sources. Maybe you can ask large businesses in Pennsylvania to sponsor you and then you have their company name and logo on the back of your team's shirts to bring them some business. Just throwing an idea out there.