great fun

irekkin

I just built the ft flyer exactly as shown on the video and used the recommended electronics and it is super tail heavy as was the nut ball. I had to add 3 3/4 washers (taped on) to get the cg correct according to the plans. well, it gets about 20 ft. in the air, banks and slams the ground, just like the nutball. can't wait to get the delta out and start slamming it in the ground (sarcasm). this rc flying is so much fun, my grandson has learned a life time worth of cuss words (more sarcasm).

earthsciteach

Sorry you are having a hard time. In the grand scheme of things, its better your grandson learns those words from you than from some kids at school. ;)

One issue may be the distance that the control surfaces travel. If the control surfaces have a lot of throw, these planes can be twitchy as heck! Try adjusting them to minimum throws (control rod on inner hole of servo arm and outer hole of control horn.

Also, the prop and motor torque may be causing that bank you are describing. Try hand launching the planes at about 1/2-3/4 throttle.

Beyond that, if you wish to continue in RC (and I hope you do-it is a great hobby) consider purchasing a plane such as the Hobbyzone Super Cub or Bixler. Both are great first airplanes that can grow with your experience.

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
I've become a big advocate of learning with a simulator. I didn't start with one, but I admit that I should have.

If your Tx can be hooked up to a computer and used for a sim, then it won't cost you anything to use www.rcdeskpilot.com and download the FT Flyer, FT Nutball, and FT Delta that I made for that sim. http://www.flitetest.com/articles/flite-test-planes-for-rc-desk-pilot Master that, and you'll have a much better experience with the real ones.

irekkin

thanks to both you fellas , you've been very good about answering this and other posts. actually, I originally purchased a dynam hawksky along with their flight simulator. i ran up on flite test and the swappables and really liked the idea behind them. I thought the three pack would be a good start instead of busting up the store bought one to start with. the hawksky simulator was some help and i'll continue to practice with it. also i'll try changing the control linkages as suggested. as soon as the weather permits I think we'll just go on and give the hawksky a try and use this guys method.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfiNOMvXZjM