Great Planes 2m Spirit Build

johnnycarlos

also be sure to keep an eye on the rcgroups slope soaring section. Every year we (BAMF ie bay area model flyers) has a big may 5th event down at sunset state beach. Slope soaring for 4 days on the beach.

Oh that is a great excuse for an annual camping trip! I'll have to try to get out to Tick Point too. Still a bit tough for me.

johnnycarlos

Newest addition to my workflow. Sheet metal and magnets....

SheetMetalAndMagnets.jpg

johnnycarlos

Helpful link, manual and parts list: http://www.greatplanes.com/airplanes/gpma0530.php

Attaching manual here for posterity

My kit did not come with instructions and I started the build with tremendous difficulty determining what's what since the stuff that isn't die cut does not have a parts label. I assumed it's because this isn't a modern laser cut easy kit and so that's just how it is. Here is your plan dude, figure it out, what more do you want? After more trouble, I online searched one of the labels and found there is a parts list, and that greatly simplified things because I could match stuff up by their dimensions. To my surprise, there is a manual too!

Perhaps the original owner took the manual out? Hopefully no other critical part is missing.

Attachments

• 2M-Spirit-Manual.pdf
    5.9 MB · Views: 0

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
my kit shipped today so i could take pictures/measurements for you if you think somethings missing. Being my first balsa build i need to get a area setup. I think @flitetest did a video on how to get a nice table to pin stuff to...searching

johnnycarlos

my kit shipped today so i could take pictures/measurements for you if you think somethings missing. Being my first balsa build i need to get a area setup. I think @flitetest did a video on how to get a nice table to pin stuff to...searching

Awesome, are you going to start a build thread? There's a good chance you'll finish this before me.

I'm going to try using the magnet method instead of pins. We'll see. It's more expensive but I really like that it doesn't put holes in the plans. I'll be starting the wing soon so I should have a better feel for how it's going to work out.

johnnycarlos

I'll start my thread when I get to this. Really intimidating seeing all these parts lol
View attachment 139114

Nice manual you got! hehe. Take a look at the parts list above. There's not as much as it seems. It also makes it easier to find the stuff that's not labelled. Group all the like parts together and the dimensions and quantity in the parts list it makes it really quick to find what you're looking for. Once I sorted them all out, I labeled them with 3x5 cards so I wouldn't need to use my brain to find it again some time later when I'd forget.

johnnycarlos

Wood gluing one part at at time here-and-there over the last couple weeks, finished the outer panels except for the tips. I get to learn how to use this razor plane.

Attachments

• OuterPanels.jpg
    OuterPanels.jpg
    1,013.7 KB · Views: 0

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
How did your build go? I just picked this up again after doing a smaller balsa kit. Coming back to this now its not any where near as intimidating as before.

1626902038239.png PXL_20210717_184403384.jpg PXL_20210719_135347408.jpg