GREAT PLANES EXTRA 300S, 60 SIZE, ELECTRIC CONVERSION, 2019 BUILD ALONG

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
1/3 scale? Nice! Got any pics handy?

I have a thread going for the work done on the Cessna that’ll scratch the itch.

Here is the Pup patiently waiting for the full rescue and rebuild:

0E8F8F57-E553-4220-968A-93778FBA4835.jpeg

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Did some Watt testing, power systems test, range check and final control surface adjustments today. On a half charged 6s its putting out around 1,700 watts at 77amps, about 186 watts per pound so it should fly. It’s maiden ready, but not I just yet. It was hard to get a pic of the watt meter, lots of thrust and wind coming off the spinning blades of death near my head.

Attachments

• 6A8EFF30-956B-4F05-BBF8-F678AB591D2C.jpeg
    6A8EFF30-956B-4F05-BBF8-F678AB591D2C.jpeg
    148.4 KB · Views: 0

TooJung2Die

Master member
On a half charged 6s its putting out around 1,700 watts at 77amps, about 186 watts per pound so it should fly.
These numbers boggle my mind. "It should fly" :eek: I can't comprehend how much power that is producing. With 186 watts per pound it should be a rocket. Here I am futzing around with motors producing 2 ounces of thrust. :sleep: You're in a whole 'nother league.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Ya, I was being funny, this is a high performance plane for sure. It’s a rush flying planes that have this kind of power. But, it’s stressful too as crashing really hurts.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Ive been in Pittsburg all week on business and the Flight Test farm is only an hour away, but no time to go there...darn! Anyway, I come home to Seattle today and may try for a maiden on Saturday. I need to double check everything and also hoping the plane will fit in my truck without having to take the wing off. I think it will...

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Yeah, 1700W should be fine any way you slice it. You may change props to get better thrust over speed but I'm glad to see this project is coming close to a conclusion.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
I have another True Turn turbo spinner and a two bladed Xoar wood prop that I could switch to also. Its from my Hog Bipe build extra parts and exact same power setup that puts out 1800 watts. I set this plane up for top speed just for fun for a while.

Bricks

Master member
I have the same plane Great Planes Extra 300 only in a 40 size I have a 55 OS Max in it and basically flies like a trainer just rock solid.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Maiden eve is upon us and the weather will be perfect tomorrow with dry grass, mild temps and wind around 5knots. I was pleasantly suprised when I test fitted the Extra in my F-150 tonight and it barely fits with about 4mm on each side to spare without having to take it apart. I really like transporting planes when I dont have to take the wing off. My camera batteries are charging and my friend may help me shoot video tomorrow so I will post up a video when done.

Attachments

• IMG_1644.JPG
    IMG_1644.JPG
    710.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1645.JPG
    IMG_1645.JPG
    537.2 KB · Views: 0

OliverW

Legendary member
Maiden eve is upon us and the weather will be perfect tomorrow with dry grass, mild temps and wind around 5knots. I was pleasantly suprised when I test fitted the Extra in my F-150 tonight and it barely fits with about 4mm on each side to spare without having to take it apart. I really like transporting planes when I dont have to take the wing off. My camera batteries are charging and my friend may help me shoot video tomorrow so I will post up a video when done.
Goodluck! Remember to ease on the elevator on takeoff because my GP RV-4 likes lots of speed and the extra is the exact same about that.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Well, it flys great, but I had an issue on landing and lost it below our plateau landing strip resulting in some repairable damage. Not serious, but it will take me a few weeks to repair. I’m really bummed out, but it’s another learning experience and thats why I built this, so it’s all good. I have video and will put together a maiden vid. I was also really nervous on this maiden and that didn't help matters. It is extremely responsive and needs expo, plus a little tail heavy so the plane was outflying me and I had a hard time keeping up with it. It certainly lives up to the Extra name as a high performance aerobatic machine.

The landing gear sheared of at the plastic bolts as designed and saved major damage to the fuse, but the fuse did suffer some structural damage and the wing has some minor damage where the wheel pants punctured it.

Attachments

• 85B446E7-B4DD-48CE-9D16-95CD8FDA352F.jpeg
    85B446E7-B4DD-48CE-9D16-95CD8FDA352F.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0