GREAT PLANES EXTRA 300S, 60 SIZE, ELECTRIC CONVERSION, 2019 BUILD ALONG

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Got the elevators sorted out and ready for some soldering on the Golden links. Im trying to figure out the pull pull rudder now using fishing line to check my wire runs. From my research you dont want the cable to touch anything, so I am using the dremel to clean out the run a bit and I may have to add a little support as Im grinding one of the formers away a bit.

Attachments

• 091E14EB-3056-4183-A09B-26955C00F452.jpeg
    091E14EB-3056-4183-A09B-26955C00F452.jpeg
    905.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 09CBF146-457A-4BC0-B934-E4CF00F05581.jpeg
    09CBF146-457A-4BC0-B934-E4CF00F05581.jpeg
    611.3 KB · Views: 0

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
It didn't click with me just how big this is until I saw the spread on the pull-pull servo horn. That's pretty wide!

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
I'm still learning a bit here. I worked on the setup some more and finalized my geometry. Since I have a very narrow window for the cables to run out the back of the fuse on this plane I had to cross the cables, ideally you want a parallelogram ( both cables the same length, not crossed and both servo and rudder horns the same length). But, when crossing the cables I have read it's recomended to use an offset arm (towards the tail) to help keep the cables at a 90deg angle to the servo pivot point. I read this in a few articles and manufactures recomend this too. My servo and rudder horn arms are about the same length. I ran the program and also hooked everything up with fishing line tight and it all works good. According the the program I should only have 0.003" of slack and it does seem that way. I cleared any wood out of the way of the cable runs and it looks good too, although I'm not sure if I should glue in some reinforcements where I ground the formers away. My brain is tired now, so I'm calling this one good enough.

Attachments

• IMG_0776.JPG
    IMG_0776.JPG
    204 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0777.JPG
    IMG_0777.JPG
    174.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0780.JPG
    IMG_0780.JPG
    297.7 KB · Views: 0

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
It's *probably* ok as-is, but some CF CA'd in there certainly wouldn't hurt. Are you going to add some type of material for the pull-pull lines to exit the fuselage cleanly? I've used short section of pushrod tubes for that in the past, which helps keep the cable from hitting the covering.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
"They" say to have the cables as free as possible and not touching anything, so I'm centering them in the slots and leaving the slots open as possible when covering. That way the cables will have ample room to move about and this will also allow some extra air venting in the rear. It may deter from the "scale" look, but it will be functional.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Got the Extra on her feet for the first time and beginning to sort out all the electronics. I realized I did not have a radio for it yet and had to get a Spektrum AR6600T on order. I'm also going to use the Castle Creations telemetry link as I did on my Super Dragon build and I like how simple it is and how it gives you very accurate ESC temp and voltage reading. I just need to remember how the throttle power wire and where it is disconnected when using this set up. I guess I can take the Super Dragon apart and see what I did in there if I cant figure out the wiring...I just cant remember for some reason...

Soon I will have a picture of it in the bones and ready to cover. This getting the house ready to sell business is really messing up my build time though...

Attachments

• IMG_0796.JPG
    IMG_0796.JPG
    571 KB · Views: 0

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Im working on hinging the ailerons and servo linkage now, when thats done the plane will be ready for full assembly in the bones and covering will be next. I still need to glue in a battery tray, but that will be easy and straightforward, I’m waiting for the radio so I can check balance before installing battery tray so I can shift things around if needed. We are going into full “sell the house mode” and progress may halt on this project for a while.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Got the Extra finished today, now just need to make a battery tray, solder some Golden clevises on the linkages, paint, apply Ultracote and decals.
I used some Sullivan ball links on the aileron servos and I like how that came out and got nice 90deg angles on the control linkages, then got the Extra all up in the bones. The weight is at 2900 grams (6.393 pounds) with no battery, battery tray, radio or covering, so I think it will be around 7.5 lbs when all done which is the heavy side of the scale, but thats ok as it will have plenty of power.
Unfortunetly, I need to pack it up and postpone the finishing process as we are gearing up for a move and the house is going on the market in two days...to be continued...

Attachments

• IMG_0826.JPG
    IMG_0826.JPG
    723.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0827.JPG
    IMG_0827.JPG
    689.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0828.JPG
    IMG_0828.JPG
    648.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0829.JPG
    IMG_0829.JPG
    639.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0831.JPG
    IMG_0831.JPG
    711.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0820.JPG
    IMG_0820.JPG
    500.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0822.JPG
    IMG_0822.JPG
    556.8 KB · Views: 0

jaredstrees

She's a beaut! Good luck with the move as well. My house goes on the market March 15th, and I know what you mean about the getting the house ready to sell insanity. I haven't touch my build pile in two weeks.

Captain Video

Great looking kit! I have one sitting in my workshop waiting for me to begin assembling her. I hope mine looks as good!!

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
It is a challenging build and I’m not sure I like the build design, but the end product is nice, just be careful as the sheeting is easy to damage with no covering on yet.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Well, we sold the house in 6 days, turned a good profit and purchased a new home already. All rc activities have halted for the past week as we move and we are getting mostly moved in today. Im hoping to get back to this project in a few weeks after we unpack and get settled in.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Couple of weeks should be up and running. We only have 1/4 acre of land here in the city of Kent, but we could set up a multirotor course in the back yard.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I'll be sure to add extra hamburger and salsa to the grocery list. Make a batch er two of my shotchos to snack on between packs. 😁

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Had to clean the gutters and heres the view from our roof. Its way up there! Got my build table, in my allocated space, in a spare room, the rest of the house belongs to the wife. Hopefully get working on the extra soon.

B98F8B0F-F0AB-43C6-A6A4-79D9B61222BD.jpeg

16F3C5A4-1F62-4657-AFBF-A33BC609E6C2.jpeg

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Finally got some work done on my RC room. Managed to get the airplane hanger set up and some planes on it. The Extra is on the rack and soon I will begin the finishing work... I had enough room to build an airplane hanger that can possibly accommodate an 80" wingspan plane, the Super Dragon on top is 64". When I add the top rails on the wall it should hold around eight, or more, 60 sized planes.

IMG_0980.JPG

IMG_0981.JPG