GREAT PLANES EXTRA 300S .60 SIZE KIT

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
My wife ask me what I wanted for Christmas and I told her the Great Planes Extra 300s .60 size kit. She seemed on board with it, so we will see...Anyway, I am teaching myself precision aerobatics, pattern flying and some 3d and I am learning new stuff everytime I fly now. I bought the advanced aerobatics book by David Scott- https://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Aerobatics-David-Scott/dp/0981722644- and it is helping me to learn a lot. So, I am thinking my next plane, after the Hog Bipe, should be a more precise flying areobatics plane, like the Extra 300s. I dont want to buy an ARF as I get the most enjoyment from building and then flying. This build will, of course, be an electric conversion...again...

Anyone have any thoughts or experience with this plane? I chose it because the price seems right and the size is around my prefered size for storage and transport. It is also one of the only Extra 300s kits out there in this size, there are smaller and way larger out there, but I dont want to spend $2,000 on an airframe.

http://www.greatplanes.com/airplanes/gpma0236.php

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
That appears to be a slightly bigger and slightly lighter version of the Extra 300 I'm going to be doing in the Build Along. Mine is from Hobbico, and other than the fact that it's completely different, it's somewhat similar to your choice. ;)

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
That appears to be a slightly bigger and slightly lighter version of the Extra 300 I'm going to be doing in the Build Along. Mine is from Hobbico, and other than the fact that it's completely different, it's somewhat similar to your choice. ;)

I have scoured the internet for Extra 300 kits in the .60 size and also checked out Hobbico, but they only have the ARF version. Is this an old kit that is discontinued or something? If I am missing something can you put a link? Thanks.

It is funny, you can find all kinds of ARF balsa built stuff that is really cool, but the manufacutures dont put up a kit version for a lot of these planes. I would rather build my planes than fly an ARF. I like to get intimate with my aircraft and it becomes a part of me when I build it from a kit or scratch.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
The Hobbico Extra 300s I have was an ARF (I think?) that's been discontinued for a while. I was lucky enough to find a .pdf copy of the original instructions which will make it all much easier to build, at least until I find missing parts! :)

Another strange thing is that it appears to have been sold with covering installed, but mine is just balsa sheet, as if it were stripped. Maybe they offered it in a few different versions?

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
I think Great Planes and Hobbico are the same company, because the copyright at the bottom of the page for the GP Extra kit says Hobbico. Interesting...

IMG_0235.PNG

Hobbico is the umbrella corporation. They own great planes, Flyzone, tower hobbies, and some of the sub brands associated with those. They've been around for a long time now.

Bricks

Master member
I have a Hanger 9 300 SX 40 size with a OS Max 55 in her. Have only done one maiden flight so far been winder then snot here. One thing I would recommend set up a switch with flight modes for the ability of more control throws. Stock recommended throws with this 300 was hardly enough to fly it with any control really mushy feeling and flying..

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
I keep wondering why Great Planes hasn't developed any new kits in a long while. They actually have a link on the website for new kit ideas, but I think its been years since they have done so. Anyway I think the Extra 300s .60 looks like a winner.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
I think the wife ordered this today for Christmas. The Extra 300 has been on backorder forever and it just came out today. Fingers crossed, I am super excited about building and flying this precision aircraft and electric conversion of course!

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Happy!

My last Christmas present arrived today. My project for later in 2018, the Extra 300s. It was out of stock forever and my wife had a heck of time getting it, but she prevailed, bless her heart. I will be using a Scorpion power system and most likely Hitec digital servos in this build for a super high precision aerobatic machine.

IMG_0277.JPG

My wife also made me a really cool airplane blanket for Christmas, I am a lucky man!

IMG_3596.JPG