Great Planes Gee Bee R1

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Yes, I was. I wanted to see what her full-speed looked and sounded like and It really is exactly what I wanted. Our modern perspective of "fast" is skewed by the jet age and reno racing style of vintage aircraft. I really like how she just cruises along at WOT like a steady ship. In my eye, it is a very scale speed and exactly what I was looking for. Not too fast but not looking like a flying pig either. This airplane plays tricks on you though. For it's size you think it needs to be faster but it really does float very well.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
LOL, Thank you. Been a fun week for sure. Onto the next thing.
Are you gonna get back to the Mustang now that you are settled into the new house and got a couple of builds in the new shop out of the way? Maybe replace the Bearcat with another Go To plane? Or go right outside the wheelhouse and do an EDF? Just tossing out guesses at this point lol

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Are you gonna get back to the Mustang now that you are settled into the new house and got a couple of builds in the new shop out of the way? Maybe replace the Bearcat with another Go To plane? Or go right outside the wheelhouse and do an EDF? Just tossing out guesses at this point lol
No, the Mustang project will require some serious build time and focus. With all that's going on right now, I don't think its wise. I purchased a great restoration project that I'll move onto next. EDFs interest me very little. They have just never been an interest for me. I've tried a couple but in the end, just not my jam.

PM me what that is. I don't want to hijack this thread, just in case there is some crash footage Josh would like to share lol
No hijacking here, friend. Sometimes a subject sparks interest and what makes a forum great is the discussion. The builds and such a great, don't get me wrong, but so many of my FT friends have been made through discussion and co-inspiration.

TooJung2Die

Master member
For it's size you think it needs to be faster but it really does float very well.
For its size and shape it doesn't look like it's flyable. :LOL: The full-scale reproductions have proven remarkably aerobatic! I was just wondering how conservatively you were flying it because it was an unfamiliar airplane.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Well, I never go crazy with first flights but if you watched the video to the end, I did to a single roll on the second flight.

TooJung2Die

Master member
I did to a single roll on the second flight.
I saw that and you threw in a turn to the right too! It was a very smooth flight. (y) I've been thinking about trying a flight stabilizer but the cost of an Aura Lite alone is more than you pay for a FlySky FS-i6 transmitter and receiver. Can you switch off the Aura while in flight to see how much stabilization it is contributing?

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Can you switch off the Aura while in flight to see how much stabilization it is contributing?

Yes! That is also worth mentioning. I have my rates and expo all setup on the Aura. It is on a 3-pos switch. I have a high gain, high rate, low gain, low rate, and no gain low rate. On the second flight I did try the low and no gain settings and the low gain was more relaxing but lacked authority for my taste. The no gain setting lasted about 10-20 seconds before I got scared and flipped the switch back. The rudder corrections were quite notable and certainly contributing to a steady flight. While not unmanageable without the gyro, it would certainly be more of a handful, especially in a cross wind. The Aura 8 comes in at a hefty $100 point. I managed to get mine at an event when they were first being introduced to the market and they mine was a promotional $50. Granted it was intended for my Bugatti, which to this day has only had 2 flights, I took the opinion that I would rather have tried it than not tried it and wished I had.