Great Planes Gee Bee R1

Michael9865

Elite member
Wait, so you finish a plane before starting a new one? That’s an interesting idea...

What a concept. I unfortunately have five airplanes in different stages of building/finishing. LOL. Yet I have started and finished other aircraft while the other airplanes remain partially completed.

Can’t wait to see you Gee Bee R1 completed.

chris398mx

Master member
What a concept. I unfortunately have five airplanes in different stages of building/finishing. LOL. Yet I have started and finished other aircraft while the other airplanes remain partially completed.

Can’t wait to see you Gee Bee R1 completed.

Yes, this is a problem, I started several new builds and had to steal servos and esc's from the planes that flew and havnt finished any of them. So, now I don't have any planes that will fly!! Doh

Tench745

Master member
I'm excited for this one. I'm not sure how I feel about the Vlog format. It's another thing I can just cue up in my Youtube playlist and watch while I work, but I do really enjoy your write-ups too.

The GeeBee Z is my favorite (The Rocketeer got me at a young age too.) but the R-1 is up there. I think I've got four planes "on the bench" that I need to get back to. Right now I'm forcing my way through the backlog of other non RC projects.

OliverW

Legendary member
I'm with @SquirrelTail , I think it's an R2, I believe the R1 version was open cockpit PT17 looking. Oops goggle proved me wrong, in that paint scheme it is a R1. Delmar Benjamin built a R2 copy.
Delmar is a family friend of ours. I've sadly never met him, but my grandpa and Dad always talk about how nice of a guy he is

chris398mx

Master member
@willsonman I noticed in one of your videos you are using what looks like 1 gallon cans to mix up your epoxy. What is the stuff you are using and where do you get it? I am guessing it is a lot cheaper than buying the tiny bottle the hobby stores sell. Thanks. Great build and sorry to see the result of the bearcat.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
That can has been nursing me along for years now. About 10 or so. There are companies around here that make drones for the military and they are constructed using composite methods. Much like any company, they have a quality control system that regulates expiration of their materials. The epoxy and hardener are one of such things. The resin and hardener were going to be simply thrown away! Still perfectly good for my use. Normally the epoxy (Fibre Glast 2000) gallon is $130 and the 2060 quart of hardener is $50. Considering how long I've been using it, paying $180 + shipping is a worthwhile investment.

I'll say it again since we are on the topic. The epoxy itself has a tendency to separate over time and become cloudy. The vast majority of hobbyist will throw it away at that point. The advantage of having such a large quantity is that it comes in a metal can and then you can heat it over the stove while mixing and the cloudiness will go away. I've done that at least a half a dozen or so times to my can.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I find the "heating epoxy tip' to be useful if the little plastic bottles get cloudy too, or if it's cold in the workshop and the epoxy doesn't want to flow. Holding the bottles in front of an electric heater for a few minutes brings it back to a happy consistency every time.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Jealous - the Gee Bee is one of those models I've been wanting ever since I saw The Rocketeer (albeit that one was in black and yellow "bumblebee" livery, as opposed to the red & white motif). I haven't been able to find one of the Great Planes ones for a reasonable price, and I don't think it's being manufactured anymore. Guess I'll have to settle for the HH UMX version. :(

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Sadly there aren't a lot of Gee Bee kits out there... I've seen one giant scale kit availble here but it's too big for my workshop. He's also got the Z and Y models too.

http://www.jackdevinemodels.com/geebee_r2.htm

If anyone knows where a 40 or 50" kit is please share! I've been watching eBay and swap meets looking for an out of production Adrian Page Gee Bee kit, but those are rare as hen's teeth.