Great Planes Giant P6E Hawk--Electric Conversion

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Battery came in... initial impressions are interesting.
Definitely a 4S battery. In decent shape considering it was in a thin cardboard box in a mailing bag... no padding.
IMG_2442.JPG

So, 3S? 5500mAh? 35C? Well, we know this is 4S for sure. The size seems right comparing to my 4500 45C battery so the 30C and 5000 may be right... Clearly not labeled correctly.
IMG_2444.JPG

Initial balance is decent. At least they are all above 3.8 but what a spread!
IMG_2441.JPG

Balance under load and currently charging at 0.5C
IMG_2445.JPG

Given the cell condition I will for sure be conditioning this battery. I'll do 3 cycles of 0.5C charge and then discharge to 3.6V/cell. My charger will only do 3.3A on a 4S battery so I'll do that and discharge to 3.7V/cell three times. It will be a lot of work but I think it will help.

Once charged I will do a weigh-in and see if it really is 3oz more. It feels really similar to my 4500 45C packs.

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
Wow. Never had a pack show up mislabeled. Good luck with the cycling.

So you still thinking about Saturday? Weather is looking perfect :D Mid 50s, sunny, and calm.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Yeah, I am! I think 1PM would be good. I can grab lunch and get out to the field. It takes about 10 min to put her together. 16 screws! I'll probably bring the Goon too so bring a camera!

Currently an hour into the charge and have 2460mA put in and only at 16.62 V... soooo if it really was charged to 50% for storage... I'm thinking this may really be a 5500mAh pack... We shall see.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
189 minutes to a fully balanced charge. Added 3343 mAh. Pack weighed in at only 1/4 ounce more. Time to add lead.

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
Yeah, I am! I think 1PM would be good. I can grab lunch and get out to the field. It takes about 10 min to put her together. 16 screws! I'll probably bring the Goon too so bring a camera!

Currently an hour into the charge and have 2460mA put in and only at 16.62 V... soooo if it really was charged to 50% for storage... I'm thinking this may really be a 5500mAh pack... We shall see.

Cool. I'll plan on being there with the camera gear. I assume guests can fly if they have a member with them? If so I'll bring out the nnP-38 and some other stuff.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Well, I am very pleased to report that she does fly, and well at that! Carl (wilmracer) was kind enough to greet me at the field and we had a fun couple of hours together. I got two flights in.

First flight was uneventful. Quickly advance throttle with the elevator pulled and ease off at the plane got light. Gain some altitude and start to trim. A couple of clicks of down trim and a couple of left rudder. The speeds seems slow because it is slow, but I wanted it slow. At 1/5 scale a scale speed would be 41MPH. Roll rate is not the greatest but at the slow speed I think its fine. If I had more speed I'd easily be able to do some aerobatics. This thing is super stable. Landing took a couple of approaches and my first lading was a bit long but I got the feel for it... I nailed the second landing. Very happy with this bird and she should make a great showing at FTFF.

Carl got the video and he is working on getting it posted. Thanks again, Carl, for coming to hang out. Its always better to fly with friends!

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
Wow! Great Job! Looks like she flys awesome! :applause:

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Many thanks for the well-wishes. I've really come to love these electric conversions. They are pretty easy. It makes picking up a used model a little less intimidating.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
I wanted to mention that I got my 3rd sortie in on Sunday. Uneventful. Just a super airplane to fly. absolutely no bad tendencies and a pussycat to land. I think that as I go with this airplane I may end up going with a larger motor on 6S. It really lacks enough power to do anything more than basic flying. I guess that's what you get for about 100W/pound.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I dislike you right now.

I've been admiring that plane, but told myself it is probably a bear to fly. It's how I keep talking myself out of getting one.

Fred

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Nope. Absolutely zero bad tendencies. I actually have an update for this but I'll post it a bit later.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
I did the calculations and made the decision to go with 6S. I pulled the motor and prop from my P-47 that I do not have plans to fly in the near future. Same ESC.

Comparison. The larger motor is for the 6S setup. SK3 5055 320Kv. I looked and it seems that this particular motor is no longer sold. Oh well.
IMG_2552.JPG

18x12 Xoar prop. 3 more inches of spinny blade of death.
IMG_2553.JPG