Great Planes PT Electric/Need advice on Modification!

Silverdog

Hi Everyone!
Pulled out an old build that was just about finished when I decided to modify from the supplied can motor to a more modern outrunner. I'll post a few pics and describe what has been accomplished and what I hope I can get done. All help and comments are always welcome.
thumbnail_20160208_045956_resized.jpg 20180224_113015.jpg

One of these is an older picture and one was taken today.

Silverdog

The first modification was that I moved the servos to the rear on the airframe. No reason why...just wanted to try something new with the servos. 20180224_113030.jpg

Silverdog

Another modification that I will have to take a pic and add later is a second wing. The second scratch built wing is the same dims with no dihedral and added ailerons. I would track out to the shop and get the pic, but it's pouring rain here today.

Silverdog

My next up modification will be adding a steerable nose wheel assembly. The one that came with the kit was fixed mounted. 20180224_112956.jpg

Silverdog

This is where I just cannot decide how I will proceed. Do I sheet over the existing firewall for the front landing gear block or maybe mount a wood one inch strip down the center? 20180224_113200.jpg

Silverdog

I also could cut out the front can motor mount. I could sand and repaint motor area. Then attach another piece of sheeting just aft of the cut out can motor mount for the outrunner. But I just acquired a Great Planes mount for the motor that seems to fit nicely. Check out the pic and tell me what you think.

20180224_121414.jpg

Silverdog

The plane was originally designed for a monster NiCad battery pack. Check out the bottom battery hatch. Should be ample room for the lipo battery and esc.

20180224_113148.jpg

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
The first modification was that I moved the servos to the rear on the airframe. No reason why...just wanted to try something new with the servos. View attachment 102765

The new locations will give you much shorter pushrods, which is good and should give you less "slop". However, you're adding weight to the tail so it's likely that you'll have to add a bunch of nose weight to balance it. Pushing the battery forward is the easiest way to accomplish that. Or maybe the new motor is heavier and will help offset the tail weight as well. Just something to consider.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I also could cut out the front can motor mount. I could sand and repaint motor area. Then attach another piece of sheeting just aft of the cut out can motor mount for the outrunner. But I just acquired a Great Planes mount for the motor that seems to fit nicely. Check out the pic and tell me what you think.

View attachment 102768

So it has a nose wheel, but no steering? That's weird... :confused:

I'd mock up the new motor to see how it could fit. It's possible you could just add a new ply firewall on top of the old one which would be much less work than cutting the old one out to replace it, but that depends on how far back the firewall will need to be with the new motor.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Looks good, I like using the Great Planes motor mounts for my electric conversions they are adjustable, light and strong. Plus you can cut them down, drill them and mod them and they work great.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
If you had a cowl or could find one that would fit you could do this. Cut a notch and slide it on.

IMG_0293.PNG

Back in the day, there used to be a few planes without stearable nose wheels. My circa 1983 Carl Goldberg Ranger 42 did not have a stearable nose wheel. By the time I was done with it, it didn't have much of anything besides epoxy.... The little OS .10 didn't stand a chance!

Silverdog

Back in the day, there used to be a few planes without stearable nose wheels. My circa 1983 Carl Goldberg Ranger 42 did not have a stearable nose wheel. By the time I was done with it, it didn't have much of anything besides epoxy.... The little OS .10 didn't stand a chance!

I once had a Ranger back in the 90's. Purchased at a swap meet in Weatherford Texas. And yes it had an epoxy transfusion also. Mine had an Irvine engine that didn't run well on cold, hot, or even nice days. No knock on the Irvine motors, had several back in the day and they ran well.

Silverdog

Would love to find a cowl, but this build has dragged on for a long time. Need to get it in the air and then look for upgrades.

Silverdog

Here is a pic of the motor, mount, and esc. I know this is probably overkill for this little plane, but I have these items on hand and the heavier motor should balance out the rear servos. Motor is a G-Force 3530-1100kv. Esc is a Hobbywing Skywalker 50A-UBEC-5A. Will try to get this mounted sometime this week or next weekend. Spent my Sunday with my dad enjoying the last day of quail season in West Texas.

20180225_185512.jpg

Silverdog

Finally had a chance today to work on mounting the motor and a steerable nose gear. Started out by butchering the original firewall.

20180304_164836.jpg

Last edited:

Silverdog

Notice I didn't utilize the Great Planes mount. I found these Secraft Electric Motor Stand Offs on Ebay. I had actually purchased these some time ago and simply forgot that I had them. Love the way they match the motor.

Silverdog

Replaced the front tire in the picture as the old one was damaged by a critter prior to purchasing this kit.

20180304_164948.jpg