greetings and salutations!

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
a question about trainer planes. by trainer, I'm assuming that is to suggest it will be a good plane for a beginner...or just fun / time to reminisce about the good 'ol days for the veterans, by which I mean old people. :ROFLMAO:

if that's true...why aren't the push planes suggested or recommended as much? I have read repeatedly that pushers like the Bixler are good for beginners as when, not if, there are crashes it saves the motor and prop from damage and punishment.
A trainer is defined by it's flying characteristics.. ie... Easy of control, stability, forgiveness... Etc...

Flyingshark

Master member
a question about trainer planes. by trainer, I'm assuming that is to suggest it will be a good plane for a beginner...or just fun / time to reminisce about the good 'ol days for the veterans, by which I mean old people. :ROFLMAO:

if that's true...why aren't the push planes suggested or recommended as much? I have read repeatedly that pushers like the Bixler are good for beginners as when, not if, there are crashes it saves the motor and prop from damage and punishment.
Assuming you mean a pusher plane, like the Explorer, I think they might be harder to get dialed in. The couple I've made (FT LongEZ, a pusher of my own design...) have been way more finicky and less stable than tractors, although that's not always the fault of the motor placement.

A well-designed pusher (mine was not) might be a good trainer, but then that raises the question of crash damage. Personally, I'd rather break an $2 prop in a crash than an entire nose.

@Flyingshark might have landed a win.
It's been my experience that you're not likely to break the motor no matter where it's placed.
As you're learning (don't worry, you'll probably get the hang of it quickly) you might take a bit of a nose dive one or more times. This will crunch the nose. It's only foamboard. When this happens you may or may not bust the prop. No worries. It's just a toy you made out of craft supplies.

Taildragger

Legendary member
@Flyingshark might have landed a win.
It's been my experience that you're not likely to break the motor no matter where it's placed.
As you're learning (don't worry, you'll probably get the hang of it quickly) you might take a bit of a nose dive one or more times. This will crunch the nose. It's only foamboard. When this happens you may or may not bust the prop. No worries. It's just a toy you made out of craft supplies.
this man speaks the truth. I have only broken 2 props in the last year. Mine only break if it takes a nosedive and the power is on. As long as i cut the throttle before I hit the ground it doesn't break

Taildragger

Legendary member
Just my opinion, built up from my observations
I think in general what you are referring to the STOL/Bush flying techniques, which are definitely not for an inexperienced pilot. The planes themselves are usually pretty stable (ESPECIALLY cubs) and are great in level flight and normal takeoff/landing techniques.
1631648375308.png

Marzipan

this is a stupid question...but my brain won't give it up, so here I go.

has anyone made a video of running a Lipo battery down until it goes critical and explodes while still flying?

Mr_Stripes

Elite member
this is a stupid question...but my brain won't give it up, so here I go.

has anyone made a video of running a Lipo battery down until it goes critical and explodes while still flying?
Nah at that point the thing cant fly anymore. I have made emergency landings where one or two cells of my batts never recover. Then they get surgery and we have a new(ish) battery.

Marzipan

is a forum thread made to discuss the YouTube videos that you cannot post on unless you have a membership?

I did a forum search for 'B17' but no results talking about shooting a plane down with fireworks came up. :p

they should have used some sort of mass rocket fireworks...but I suspect they really didn't want to bring the bomber down, LoL!

also I get why they used what they did as it looked like the bomber was taking flak. :D

Flightspeed

Convicted Necroposter
is a forum thread made to discuss the YouTube videos that you cannot post on unless you have a membership?

I did a forum search for 'B17' but no results talking about shooting a plane down with fireworks came up. :p

they should have used some sort of mass rocket fireworks...but I suspect they really didn't want to bring the bomber down, LoL!

also I get why they used what they did as it looked like the bomber was taking flak. :D
Is this what you where looking for?

Marzipan

Is this what you where looking for?

not quite. I can find the video no problem...but you can't comment on the video unless you're a paying subscriber, so I was wondering if there was a sub-forum on here that talks about them.

or perhaps I'm an idiot and just cannot figure out how to post on their YouTube channel... :censored:

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
not quite. I can find the video no problem...but you can't comment on the video unless you're a paying subscriber, so I was wondering if there was a sub-forum on here that talks about them.

or perhaps I'm an idiot and just cannot figure out how to post on their YouTube channel... :censored:

I haven't seen any youtube videos with comments disabled or restricted...

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
well...perhaps I am an idiot then. can you send me a hotlink to the button you click to post a comment on their videos?
you have to be logged into YouTube, then you scroll down to the top of the comments section and click here (the icon next to that will be your profile pic from YouTube/Google):

Starting to make me wonder if your just trolling.

1632518986813.png