Greetings from Colombia !

SAG

I’ve always had a thing for WWII aviation and flight sims in general. I started out playing Microsoft Combat flight simulator back in the day, then I hit my teens so I had other interests for a while…

Fast forward to 2014 and I see the 3DLabprints p51 and decide to get a 3d printer. Got the printer but realized I had no money for the RC equipment (then I got heavily addicted to il2 sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad and discovered a new hobby, but that’s another rabbit hole). Moving forward to 2018 and after probably a couple years of watching FT videos I decided to take the plunge.

Bought some PLA rolls, printed a 3D LabPrint 109f, bought a qx7 and all the electronics, threw the plane into the air, nearly hit a window on the in-laws’ house, Climbed and rolled to the right, was going in a circle and BAM! Hit a forest, I had such a bad case of tunnel vision that I didn’t see a FOREST! XD, Fuselage exploded, electronics and wings where fine. Inspired by FT (they’ve shown me that anything can fly) made a fuselage out of packing tape, cardboard and a stick. Threw it into the air, it flew up, then I went for a pattern but at some point my plane just went out of control (due to a combination of noobishness, poor build quality and what I think was the wind) and hit a tree, this time everything exploded except the electronics. So I was grounded for the rest of the weekend. It was fine, if there is anything I was expecting, it was crashing on the first 5 seconds.

After my initial dream of 3D printing a plane had been fulfilled (even if by a 3-4 second flight) I turned to FT forums and looked for Trainer builds the day I got home. I scratch-built the Storch Tuesday through Friday (Today) and im taking it for its maiden crash this weekend!

Thanks FT for getting me into the hobby, because maybe my initial interest was because of a 3Dprinted warbird, but my willingness to commit was due to FT’s efforts.

Ohh… I almost forgot…

HI!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Hi SAG! Wow, that's jumping into the deep-end feet first! Regardless of my "Active Member" standing, I am very much a noob who hasn't flown yet. I absolutely love your attitude and hope I maintain the same when I get in the air (briefly). Welcome.

Reactions: SAG

d8veh

Elite member
That 109 was never going to be easy to fly for a beginner. Learning to fly on your own isn't easy either, though some have natural talent. Please let us know how you get on with the Storch.

If you still find yourself in trouble, get one of those 22 in 1 flight simulator cables. They cost about $10 and let you learn to fly on the PC, where there's a restart button to use every time you crash.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Upg...lgo_pvid=dd3d8442-d6dc-42f4-957d-044852f9a077

Last edited:

SAG

That 109 was never going to be easy to fly for a beginner. Learning to fly on your own isn't easy either, though some have natural talent. Please let us know how you get on with the Storch.

If you still find yourself in trouble, get one of those 22 in 1 flight simulator cables. They cost about $10 and let you learn to fly on the PC, where there's a restart button to use every time you crash.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Upg...lgo_pvid=dd3d8442-d6dc-42f4-957d-044852f9a077

Well i took the storch out for some flying today and i have to say it went a lot harder than expected, i got some video this time tho.

i get what you're saying about simulators, and ive tried a bunch of them, but even if i can fly land and takeoff in those, i cant manage to do a turn without stalling in the storch. i dont know if its the way i had my throws, expo, or the way it was built but now it is pretty much destroyed XD. any ideas for a slow, small and gentle plane that can fit a 1100kv motor?

i also dont know if the local foamboard i could find was heavier thatn FT's but my storch was like 300grams on the heavy side (i know, that is a lot)

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Well i took the storch out for some flying today and i have to say it went a lot harder than expected
Simulator are great but they can only take you so far. No substitute for just getting out there and doing it. Remember the moto Build, Fly, Crash, Repeat.

d8veh

Elite member
Well i took the storch out for some flying today and i have to say it went a lot harder than expected, i got some video this time tho.

i get what you're saying about simulators, and ive tried a bunch of them, but even if i can fly land and takeoff in those, i cant manage to do a turn without stalling in the storch. i dont know if its the way i had my throws, expo, or the way it was built but now it is pretty much destroyed XD. any ideas for a slow, small and gentle plane that can fit a 1100kv motor?

i also dont know if the local foamboard i could find was heavier thatn FT's but my storch was like 300grams on the heavy side (i know, that is a lot)
It's difficult to say what was wrong with the storch without seeing it. Can you show the video? It would fly very much like the simulator if it was built straight, C of G correct and properly trimmed. It's not easy to get those things right when you're a beginner on your own. After some time flying a pkane, you get a feel for what needs adjusting. The simulator gives you the muscle memory to react in the right way in response to how your plane flies, which is a massive help, so don't give up on that. It'll definitely accelerate your learning.

If I were in your situation, I'd build an FT Flyer. I knocked one up last night in a single session. You only need one board of foam. There are only 5 foam parts, plus firewall and hinge horns.

They're nice and slow (if you want). I'll be using one of those $4 2215 motors that you find on Ebay. I actually paid £7.50 for the motor, ESC and propeller as a set. The Flyer has the advantage that the front and rear parts of the plane can be separated, so if you crash it, you most likely still have something salvageable. The wing shape makes it very difficult to stall, so you can concentrate on steering. Even if you demolish one, you can build another one while you watch TV in an evening. I don't like the idea of the naked battery underneath it because if it hit a stone or something when landing, it could get damaged and catch fire, so mine will have a hinged pod over the battery.

SAG

It's difficult to say what was wrong with the storch without seeing it. Can you show the video? It would fly very much like the simulator if it was built straight, C of G correct and properly trimmed. It's not easy to get those things right when you're a beginner on your own. After some time flying a pkane, you get a feel for what needs adjusting. The simulator gives you the muscle memory to react in the right way in response to how your plane flies, which is a massive help, so don't give up on that. It'll definitely accelerate your learning.

If I were in your situation, I'd build an FT Flyer. I knocked one up last night in a single session. You only need one board of foam. There are only 5 foam parts, plus firewall and hinge horns.

They're nice and slow (if you want). I'll be using one of those $4 2215 motors that you find on Ebay. I actually paid £7.50 for the motor, ESC and propeller as a set. The Flyer has the advantage that the front and rear parts of the plane can be separated, so if you crash it, you most likely still have something salvageable. The wing shape makes it very difficult to stall, so you can concentrate on steering. Even if you demolish one, you can build another one while you watch TV in an evening. I don't like the idea of the naked battery underneath it because if it hit a stone or something when landing, it could get damaged and catch fire, so mine will have a hinged pod over the battery.

hey thanks for the tips, the thing is that i want something slow that uses an 1100kv motor because im on a budget. if i switch to another power plant, ill need more batteries and those are expensive here and cant get them shipped from banggod, hobbyking or amazon.

Ill see if i can upload the video, but maybe its my CG, how far back from the leading edge do you think it should be? i only have 1300mah 4s and even with an extended nose and the battery all the way to the front i can only get it about 1&1/2 to 2 inches from the leading edge.

Thanks for the help!

SAG

Hi SAG! Wow, that's jumping into the deep-end feet first! Regardless of my "Active Member" standing, I am very much a noob who hasn't flown yet. I absolutely love your attitude and hope I maintain the same when I get in the air (briefly). Welcome.

Haha my expectations as to my first few flights come from years of flying flight simulators and watching videos. planes are not an easy vehicle just to jump into and fly; that much, i know. i enjoy the builduing aspect some im fine witha little destruction :p

Ive seen a lot of posts from you mentioning that you're still not in the air, may I ask what is holding you back?

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Haha my expectations as to my first few flights come from years of flying flight simulators and watching videos. planes are not an easy vehicle just to jump into and fly; that much, i know. i enjoy the builduing aspect some im fine witha little destruction :p

Ive seen a lot of posts from you mentioning that you're still not in the air, may I ask what is holding you back?
House HVAC unit went out a little while ago and the repair bill set me back quite a bit. Digging my way out of that financial hole is taking a little while. Hopefully I'll be able to get myself some Christmas presents and believe me, I'll be airborne (briefly) just as soon possible after that.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Based on the plans, the CG is 2 inches from the LE and starting out I would try to get a few degrees nose down when balancing on the 2 inch mark. So you might be on the hairy edge of tail heavy. 1300mah is proprably a little light for this plane. Just add some nose weight until she's a little nose down when balanced at the 2 inch mark. She can handle a little dead weight up front.

DamoRC

SAG

Based on the plans, the CG is 2 inches from the LE and starting out I would try to get a few degrees nose down when balancing on the 2 inch mark. So you might be on the hairy edge of tail heavy. 1300mah is proprably a little light for this plane. Just add some nose weight until she's a little nose down when balanced at the 2 inch mark. She can handle a little dead weight up front.

DamoRC

Here we go, first successful takeoff! :D i had to glue like 4 large bolts to the front of the plane but it was worth it :D

I Crashlanded it thoough, and the wings got pretty badly bent on the tips, do you think it would fly alright if i cut the outer sections of the wings? (the part that extends after where the servo goes). i realize that it would generate less lift, but would it still fly on a 1100kv 9x6 4s setup?

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
do you think it would fly alright if i cut the outer sections of the wings? (the part that extends after where the servo goes). i realize that it would generate less lift, but would it still fly on a 1100kv 9x6 4s setup?
Well, the plane might fly if the wingtips are cut off, but the flight characteristics would get worse. The wingtips of ft designs are undercambered so that the plane doesn’t tip stall, therefore, removing the wingtip would just make the plane harder to fly.

SAG

Well, the plane might fly if the wingtips are cut off, but the flight characteristics would get worse. The wingtips of ft designs are undercambered so that the plane doesn’t tip stall, therefore, removing the wingtip would just make the plane harder to fly.

I-m starting to love this foamboard stuff!!

i made removable wingtips, that also makes the wing easier to fit into my car :)
WhatsApp Image 2018-11-13 at 9.21.20 PM.jpeg

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I-m starting to love this foamboard stuff!!

i made removable wingtips, that also makes the wing easier to fit into my car :)
View attachment 118544
That is a very impressive design solution. I would have just built another wing, but foamboard is really cheap where I live. You, sir are now amongst those who have inspired me on this forum. It's not a very exclusive club, but that's only because we have so many inspiring people here. I can't wait for more flight video.

SAG

That is a very impressive design solution. I would have just built another wing, but foamboard is really cheap where I live. You, sir are now amongst those who have inspired me on this forum. It's not a very exclusive club, but that's only because we have so many inspiring people here. I can't wait for more flight video.

Lucky you, a single sheet here is over 8 dollars. which doesn't seem like much, but if you take into account that i crash a lot, and that i'm an intern earning in colombian pesos, then it can be very expensive. so i try to be resourceful ;)