Greetings from Land of the Rising Sun

Obollox

Hi and greetings
Been into 'Radicon' planes for about 20 years. Stumbled across some videos on YT and now have the bug to build a foam plane.
Fed up of filling the house with balsa dust!
Got myself some 5mm (paper sided) foam board this afternoon.
Can someone tell me the thickness and weight of the foam board Flitetest uses?
When will the plans for the Master build Spitfire be available?

Englishman in Japan

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
H
Hi and greetings
Been into 'Radicon' planes for about 20 years. Stumbled across some videos on YT and now have the bug to build a foam plane.

Englishman in Japan

Howdy English,

Don't know about the plans, but the foamboard is 3/16" thick and about 111 gms/sheet. Welcome!

FL_Engineer

Elite member
Your name isn't James May is it? He just did a great series on Japan and has an obsession with the spitfire 😅. BTW it's a 20"x 30" sheet.

Obollox

No, I'm not 'Captain Slow' , but I also have an obsession with Spitfires. Unfortunately Amazon prime in Japan doesn't list his program. Pain in the wotsit that Amazon is region set.
Thanks for the data, I'll check the weight of my foam board. Might have to buld the smaller one while waiting for the plans.

speedbirdted

Legendary member
Hi and greetings

Englishman in Japan
Welcome. The foamboard that comes from dollar tree is usually 4mm in width or very close to that. However I'm assuming there is no dollar tree in Japan (109.75 Yen tree maybe?) so I'm really not sure about what is locally available to you. If your foam varies in thickness from 4mm, many plans found here will not fit together correctly with thicker foam. Good thing is, the maker foam that FT sells is shipped internationally so if you can't find the 4mm stuff anywhere, you can always get some shipped to you and start from there.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
I did a full check of FliteTest foamboard against Westboard, which is the normal stuff available in the UK.

198317_51e2cce0a43e632fd5d3e4dd048cdbee.png

Obollox

No Dollar tree here! We have 'Daiso' which is a chain of '100 yen' shops (110 yen with the tax). They have styro foam board in 5mm sheets. The paper coated foam board, I call poster board is available in the home centre, bit expensive at $12 for a 50x90 cm sheet.
I've built many foam and EPP planes, so I should be able to adapt.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
No Dollar tree here! We have 'Daiso' which is a chain of '100 yen' shops (110 yen with the tax). They have styro foam board in 5mm sheets. The paper coated foam board, I call poster board is available in the home centre, bit expensive at $12 for a 50x90 cm sheet.
I've built many foam and EPP planes, so I should be able to adapt.
Thanks for the reply
Westboard ? Is that Depron?
No, it's what is sold in the UK as foamboard. The foam is denser that the FliteTest stuff and the paper is more like thin card ... This makes it tougher and smoother than the FliteTest stuff but also much heavier :(

Obollox

First flight of my Ft Spitfire today. Nicely surprised how by how well she flew. Still snow on the ground from yesterday.
Day before it was 22 deg C. Managed to self isolate as I was the only one at the field. No lock down here. Government
is telling lies on the numbers and not testing.
Stay safe.

Attachments

• IMG_6794.JPG
    IMG_6794.JPG
    120.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6796.JPG
    IMG_6796.JPG
    163.6 KB · Views: 0