Greetings from Portland Area

kharms

Checking in from SW Portland area. Ive been flying now off and on for the last 2 years. I started with a firebird stratos and about a month latter moved up to my parkzone archer. Ive built a coule of prop pushers since then f18 & f22 that have over time meet there nemisis (trees and grass) and have resently upgraded to the bloodywonder.

Last year i was a member of a local club but this year just couldnt see putting the money out for it as just didnt feel like i clicked with anyone. Also was driving a 2 seat pickup And was a pain in the ass just to dissasemle everything. This year decided to pickup a quad to do some more local flying at schools and parks.

Just wanting to see if anyone else is out in the pdx area that would maybe like to get together and do some flying as even though i enjoy flying just not the same out by myself.

mjmccarron

I'm in Vancouver and fly at a schoolyard in my area with my son-in-law and several friends. We have formed an informal Bloody Wonder squadron and enjoy streamer combat from time to time. We also have some Quad's and balsa planes too. We all have very limited time for flying but you're always welcome with us on sat and sun mornings weather permitting and some of us fly in a big field behind the costco in the evenings. If you're interested, let me know and I'll provide directions. It might be fun to have some of us make the trip to your field too sometime.:D
Mike (mjmccarron)

kharms

I will more than likely hit you up one of these weekends. I too know what you mean by limited time as i just was blessed with a newborn son (4th and Last!!). So i dont know if I am going to be "released" for some time away quite yet as my wife is still getting use to the limited sleep.

As far as my Neck of the Woods im in Tualatin and have recently started to look for a new place to fly as while i was searching the City of Tualatin Website i found in there Parks area that they currently have the use of Remote Controlled Devices (planes or Cars) as Unlawful just like Portland. As far as the Schools well just haven't found one that i really like that have some open room that nothing is commonly going on at.

mjmccarron

Congratulations on your new little one! I know all about the sleep deprivation aspect you mention. I don't know of any parks with approved areas in the Vancouver area either. I do have a couple of places to fly but currently the elementary school where my kids go has worked out well for smaller "Park Flyer" planes. We go early so we don't conflict with other activities. We have limited windows of opportunity for foam board airplanes left this year. A couple of weeks ago I got up early on a Sat morning and met my son-in-law at the school for some "quality time" and we found that flying a Bloody Wonder in the fog quickly turned it into a big electric powered flying sponge. I have since built a new one and sealed the edges and minwaxed it. It will be interesting to see if that is enough. If not, I have a few small balsa planes that should hold up. Hope we can meet up sometime soon. You will love combat with the Bloody wonder. Even if you don't fly combat the streamer greatly improves the stability of the plane. Try 30 - 40ft of crepe paper sometime and see what I mean.
Later,
Mike

dafische

Hmmm. Kinda quiet here. I am finishing up a new penta-copter based on the Flight Test electro-hub.
Just some prop balancing to do then the maiden flight!;) There is a PDXdrones group here in the
Portland area that has a monthy gathering in the NW area at a local brew pub.
Dave
May your flights be smooth unless you intend otherwise! :cool:

bruckzone

New guy here in the Couve

Hello portland and vancouver flyers.

I am just getting back to restarting my passion for flying by taking another stab at building and learning this RC plane stuff. Almost done with a simple storch. Was planning to visit the fernprairy club out in Washougal on training nights (Tuesdays?) Just to learn how to not crash my new plane. Wouldn't mind seeing you all fly and ask for your advice about what is worth buying or staying away from, etc.....

Let me know.

defhermit

Hey all!

I'm a resident of Portland and I just bought my first plane 2 weeks ago, a Horizon Hobby Sport Cub S. I'm loving flying it around my local baseball field and trying to scope out other fields/parks nearby that work for flying. So far I've tried flying at the Jackson Middle School, Chapman Elementary, the Riverside Park in Clackamas, as well as other random fields.

I'm always looking for more places to fly! I'm working towards building my first flite test speed kit and I will likely want/need a larger area to fly in!

I've also considered checking out one of the RC clubs in the area. It would be really nice to have access to a large field like that whenever I wanted, but I wasn't sure it was worth ~$90 a year and it all seems a little overly-regulated to me. I need to pass some AMA test just to qualify to apply for admission to your club? Makes a guy want to stick to random school fields, right?

Stafford

Hi folks,

I'm also in SW Portland and will soon be trying again to learn how to fly RC aircraft - probably one of the Flite Test foam board swappables.

Have any of you tried out the large dirt parking lot area at the Alpenrose Dairy for flying? I often walk my dogs over there and as long as there aren't any events going on it's usually empty. https://goo.gl/maps/3r67S

defhermit

I am currently obsessed with flying. I'm itching to see some other planes flying around with me!

Are you flying this weekend? If so post in this thread. I'd love to join ya. I only have like 30 minutes of battery time. It won't get weird. I would really like to locate a nice open field to fly in for the summer. I am willing to drive.to get there.

Capt_Beavis

Posted a thousand or more times
I am planeless in Portland for a few weeks. I have gone to a couple of hobby shops looking for a UMX Radian but I haven't found one in stock. I am staying in SE Portland off of Foster near Gresham.

mjmccarron

Hey Capt,
If you can make it over to the Vancouver side of the river, I'd be happy to let you fly my UMX Radian. We fly at an old airport not far off the freeway. Let me know. I should be around on Sat.

Hobbies Unlimited on Interstate had a UMX Radian last time I was there. Also, Coyote Hobbies in Oregon City has a good stock.

Mike

highnitro

Master Maker
Hey Local Vancouver Guys,

I've recently got back into the whole flying RC thing and was wondering where you guys are meeting up? Im on the east side near 164th and mill plain. I tend to spend my evenings tinkering with foam builds and 3d printed parts, wouldn't mind some company here and there.

Matt

jburnett81

Hey guys,
Just got into the hobby a month or two ago, in Vancouver. Currently flying on the west side out by the dump. Not the prettiest place, but it is tree-free. I would be interested in meeting others without paying to join a club. If anyone is interested in company, let me know.

Capt_Beavis

Posted a thousand or more times
wow, I am sad to say I missed this post while I was in town. I did stop in at Coyote but I think it was in the last few days of my stay.

Hey Capt,
If you can make it over to the Vancouver side of the river, I'd be happy to let you fly my UMX Radian. We fly at an old airport not far off the freeway. Let me know. I should be around on Sat.

Hobbies Unlimited on Interstate had a UMX Radian last time I was there. Also, Coyote Hobbies in Oregon City has a good stock.

Mike

jburnett81

Hey guys,
Just got into the hobby a month or two ago, in Vancouver. Currently flying on the west side out by the dump. Not the prettiest place, but it is tree-free. I would be interested in meeting others without paying to join a club. If anyone is interested in company, let me know.