Greetings from the Cradle of Mankind - South Africa

RobZ_ZA

Hi all,

I live in the Gauteng Province of South Africa, in the Cradle of Humankind world heritage Site.

My current list of hobbies / interests:
  • Machinist ( Rescued Mill & Lathe & 40w CO2 Laser)
  • Builder ( Bult the house i live in - ok not a hobby, more like a self induced punishment !)
  • Electronic & Embedded design ( digital only - scared of analogue)
  • Scratch built my first 3d printer.
  • CNC conversions, scratch built laser , Plasma, PCB Drilling Machine.
  • Member of SA's Oldest Maker Space ( House4Hack.co.za)
  • Sport Shooter ( Ex IDPA & 3gun - Now compete in a local discipline - has its roots in IDPA, but focuses on "surviving" the stages (all stages shot blind) rather than speed
But I have never Flown or Owned an RC Plane ( i do have an ancient DJI Phantom 2)
So my ADHD self decided i needed a new challenge! Was originally looking for an electric assisted Glider build, but then discovered Flite Test! Which seems to tick a lot of boxes for me: Self built, cheap, repairable, extendable. ( and i get to buy myself a brand new RC Transmitter :cool: )

Only challenge seems to be finding a local brand name equivalent or alternative to the FOAM BOARD as used by flite test.

One Question.....
Is the Paper backing / coating necessary for strength, or can judicious amounts of Glue, Tape etc. work for securing uncoated foam boards?

Rob Z

Whit Armstrong

Elite member
Hi all,

I live in the Gauteng Province of South Africa, in the Cradle of Humankind world heritage Site.

My current list of hobbies / interests:
  • Machinist ( Rescued Mill & Lathe & 40w CO2 Laser)
  • Builder ( Bult the house i live in - ok not a hobby, more like a self induced punishment !)
  • Electronic & Embedded design ( digital only - scared of analogue)
  • Scratch built my first 3d printer.
  • CNC conversions, scratch built laser , Plasma, PCB Drilling Machine.
  • Member of SA's Oldest Maker Space ( House4Hack.co.za)
  • Sport Shooter ( Ex IDPA & 3gun - Now compete in a local discipline - has its roots in IDPA, but focuses on "surviving" the stages (all stages shot blind) rather than speed
But I have never Flown or Owned an RC Plane ( i do have an ancient DJI Phantom 2)
So my ADHD self decided i needed a new challenge! Was originally looking for an electric assisted Glider build, but then discovered Flite Test! Which seems to tick a lot of boxes for me: Self built, cheap, repairable, extendable. ( and i get to buy myself a brand new RC Transmitter :cool: )

Only challenge seems to be finding a local brand name equivalent or alternative to the FOAM BOARD as used by flite test.

One Question.....
Is the Paper backing / coating necessary for strength, or can judicious amounts of Glue, Tape etc. work for securing uncoated foam boards?

Rob Z

To answer your question, yes the paper adds strength, but there are some brands without paper that work too, like depron. If using foams like that, you will have to modify your building technique a bit. There are a couple threads on this topic if you search "depron building"

I think @Matthewdupreez also lives in South Africa, and makes his own foam board. There are also a couple threads on the topic.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Hey @RobZ_ZA ... So pleasant to find another sa"er active on this forum.
I've built a total of about 30 planes so far...
All from my homemade foam board.

Basically what I do. Is get left over roof insulation foam/ packing foam that our local build it.. gets with some of their deliveries..
I use a homemade hotwire, to slice the foam to 5mm sheets..
If they are skinny sheets I hot glue a couple together.
Then I mix up a batch of homemade glue.
1cup white flour.
4 cups warm water.
Place in pot and cook until thick like crumpet dough aka a runny cake dough.
Cover on side of FB, with the glue ... Spread Kraft paper the brown one, over it and use a scrap of foam, to squijie out the excess glue from under the paper .
Do on other side.
Then hang up outside... Smells kinda funny so don't do this indoors... Also it's kinda messy .
When dry use like ft uses their FB ..

I am planning on opening up a RC club, in magaliesburg, in our farm .. if u
Want when I open it I'll let you know, and you can pop around sometime...

If you want some pics let me know and I'll post plenty 😜.

Matthew

RobZ_ZA

Thanks @Matthewdupreez , a few of the guys @ h4h are serious Slope Gliders, using scratch built wings made from corro-board? (plastic corrugated sheet) - do you have any windward slopes on your farm? im sure they would welcome a new site.

regarding FT, I want to dip my toes in first, would you consider selling some sheets ( enough to make the trainer or the cub? )

cheers RobZ

RobZ_ZA

To answer your question, yes the paper adds strength, but there are some brands without paper that work too, like depron. If using foams like that, you will have to modify your building technique a bit. There are a couple threads on this topic if you search "depron building"

I think @Matthewdupreez also lives in South Africa, and makes his own foam board. There are also a couple threads on the topic.

Thank you - I will give that a go.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Thanks @Matthewdupreez , a few of the guys @ h4h are serious Slope Gliders, using scratch built wings made from corro-board? (plastic corrugated sheet) - do you have any windward slopes on your farm? im sure they would welcome a new site.

regarding FT, I want to dip my toes in first, would you consider selling some sheets ( enough to make the trainer or the cub? )

cheers RobZ
Yes I would be more than happy.. to sell a few sheets at cost price.

Where is h@h? I've never heard of it before.

If you need any electronics, batteries, props... Etc I would highly suggest Rcedge...
They have the best prices, and are very helpful.

If you are just learning how to fly I do not suggest building a plane out of depron... They break really easily..
It's ok once you are a decent pilot... But it won't stand many crashes, or hard landings.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
I've heard of corro board.. aka corrax.. but for me it is too heavy... And the shipping of it to me is ridiculous.. R1500 for 1 2.4x1.2 m sheet

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member

cheers RobZ
Hmmm. Kinda... But on the public land just off our farm.. there are some nice slopes.. I should actually test them out sometime... Yesterday would have been perfect... 45kmh winds... Except for the smoke that is.. never seen Sooo much smoke in my life

RobZ_ZA

Yes I would be more than happy.. to sell a few sheets at cost price.

Where is h@h? I've never heard of it before.

If you need any electronics, batteries, props... Etc I would highly suggest Rcedge...
They have the best prices, and are very helpful.

If you are just learning how to fly I do not suggest building a plane out of depron... They break really easily..
It's ok once you are a decent pilot... But it won't stand many crashes, or hard landings.

House 4 Hack www.house4hack.co.za in Centurion Pta