Greetings from the southeast!

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I figured I might as well kick off the new regional section with a post. A request was placed in the Ask Chad section for a way to reach out to fellow FT viewers by region, so here it is.

I'm in the Florida Panhandle in the quaint town of Santa Rosa Beach. There's not much close by for club fields but there's several places you can fly if you don't need a lot of space.

The closest sanctioned fields are (off the top if my head…)

1) Eglin Aero Modelers at an old bomber runway on Eglin Air Force Base just north of Niceville, FL.
2) Defuniak Springs, FL just a few miles north of town (hwy 90), west off of 331 North.
3) Panama City, FL. I'm not sure exactly where this one is, if I recall correctly it's off from 231, behind a ball field.
4) There's a scattering of flying fields associated with a club out of Pensacola.

bitogre

Hello,

It is nice to see that there is a section on this forum to help find fans that are relatively local. At the same time, I am sad to see only one post in the SouthEast region.

I too am in Florida but I am in the southern part of Florida, near Fort Lauderdale (which is north of Miami). I fly out of Markham Park which has a decent RC Airfield with a 700 foot runway. I know there are other places near by but I do not know most of them.

I am new to flying RC planes. I got a RC flight simulator after Christmas, joined the AMA on January 1, 2014, had 2 hours of one-on-one training where I was able to land the plane at the end, and bought my first plane (an E-Flite Apprentice) last Friday. I am already flying it solo in advanced mode and landing it without significant damage (I suspect it helps that I spent so much time practicing landings and takeoffs on the simulator before doing the one-on-one training).

I would definitely like to meet up with other Flite Test Fans that are in Florida (preferably closer to where I live than FlyingMonkey).

Tactical Ex

Shout-out from the Tampa Bay Area of Florida. A few clubs and club fields here but a lot of dense city. Park flying seems decent.

Freaky_1

old headcase
Freaky, I want to fly FPV under the waterfall in your town.

Lol ditto, but if you're ever here, there's 3 even better places.
Yellow Creek Falls
Little rock city (renamed cherokee rock village during the filming of failure to launch, but still LRC to us locals)
Little river canyon (make sure you've got at least a week or you'll go home wishing you had.)

All of the above are key riding points for bikers that come to ride the hills so find a way to pack your gear if you own a motorcycle and do both.

Frank

jdyal

Hello everyone! I'm Justin from south west Orlando (Mickey Country). I don't have anything big enough to take to a field yet but I hear there's a field on property owned by Kermit Weeks near his Fantasy of Flight attraction so I'm planning on checking that out soon. I'm going multi-rotor for my first few aircraft because I'm planning on doing aerial photo/video when it's legal but I definitely want to build a foam-board viggen that David from FT designed. That thing is amazing!

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Hello everyone! I'm Justin from south west Orlando (Mickey Country). I don't have anything big enough to take to a field yet but I hear there's a field on property owned by Kermit Weeks near his Fantasy of Flight attraction so I'm planning on checking that out soon. I'm going multi-rotor for my first few aircraft because I'm planning on doing aerial photo/video when it's legal but I definitely want to build a foam-board viggen that David from FT designed. That thing is amazing!

Fantasy of Flight is an awesome museum. I'm heading that direction next week, but won't be getting quite that far south. I'll be camping, and hopefully flying some FPV in the Ocala National Forest.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Yes, Yes we do :D

and the Pecan patch . . . and HHAEFI . . . and Nall is just an hour over the border . . .

Only downside is Malvern, Ohio is SOOOOOO far away.

Kurt0326

Your ADD Care Bear
Mentor
Marysville, WA, USA... That's about 45 miles north of Seattle up I5. I feel sooo far away from everyone. :( Everyone I talk to out here has never heard of Flite Test. So I do my best to spreed the word. That's right 'bird' is the word. It's good to fly!

I did finally visit a R/C club out here the Snohomish Radio Aero Club. They were a little interested in the ideas from Flite Test, but they are serious modelers with some beautiful planes. I even handed them one of my FT planes to fly at their field and he wouldn't fly it. Even after telling him how much I put in to it "$50". He laughed said that's how much his motor cost. Told them they could use our planes for CHEAP trainers. He laughed again and said they bought trainer aircraft sitting in the hanger. Sigh...

I will find someone out here to fly my planes, they'll give some time.

Oh, they did invite me in to their club, for $200 a year on top of the $60 AMA card. Nice field but can't afford that.

Last edited: