Gremlin battery

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Most people I am seeing are selecting between 400mAH-850mAH with around 35C. You can use 2S or 3S and make sure the power connector will fit what you have on the Gremlin. You can find 2S and 3S with JST and XT60's.

SpazC

Just wanted to follow up on this with a few questions.

Finally got my Gremlin in the air the other day with the batteries I currently had on hand.

First was a no name 450mah 2s that is supposedly 25c, the gremlin feels nimble, but not peppy and no punch.

Second is a set of 3 Turnigy 850mah 2s 30-40c's. Definitely feel the weight here. Decent flight times, but feels like there is no power.

Third is a set of 2 Turnigy 700mah 3s's 30-40c's. These actually feel good, and have enough punch for me to attempt to do flips, rolls ect (mostly resulting in crashes at this point in my limited quad experience)

I'm looking at getting some more batteries for this quad and I'm not sure where to go. Should I ...

1 - Get some more 600-700 mah 3 cell batteries

or

2 - Try some name brand 450-500mah batteries with higher c-ratings.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is this. Are folks running 2s batteries with higher c-ratings able to get their Gremlins to be more acrobatic or do we really need a 3s battery for that kind of thing?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I started with mine on heavy 3s 800 mah 20c batteries from a heli. It was still very agile at 180+ grams. After some changes to fpv gear several time and new gens ace 25 c 2s and 3s 450 mah batteries it rips even better at 157 grams. If you feel sluggish on what you say you have as far as c ratings you need to tune it better or up your rates a lot. These this are mean lil buggers when set up properly.

Take a peek at my Gremlin build thread I documented the entire process from start to current and have all my settings posted including rates and auto level settings for horizon mode. I would make another rip the sky video but I have a cracked frame and can not replace it with the Carbon fiber one just yet.

TazRC

Obsession, not hobby
PsyBorg, I'm curious to know typical Gremlin weight vs Babyhawk. My Babyhawk AUW with TP 325mAh 2S 70C is 95g (23g battery). How does this compare to your Gremlin, and does it have a Delrin or CF frame? Thx!

SpazC

Thanks for the info!

New to multirotors, I'll have to look into getting it tuned correctly. Assuming all goes well there I'll get some more 450 MAH batteries.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
O.K. here are some weights. Gremlin build with props, velcro battery strap, and foam camera mount minus any FPV gear is 83 grams.
The 2s 450 mah gens ace 25c battery is 32.4 g, The 3s 450mah gens ace 25c is 45.6 g, and the monster no name 3s 800 mah 20c I started with is 71.8 g.

I have a runcam swift micro to put on it but not a vtx agaian as the last video system with a runcam swift mini and 25/200/600 vtx that was on it has moved on to a race quad build. When that system was on it auw was 157g with the 3s 450 pack That will lighten even more with the smaller camera and smaller vtx.

Currently I have the Josh B Delrin frame.

This was one of my first flights with the Gremlin at a fat 187 G AUW.

My other crappy Gremlin videos were all the process of finding a usable video system as that hyperion set up is junk in my mind and I will NEVER buy another CMOS based system for FPV again. Only CCD.

TazRC

Obsession, not hobby
Thanks for the info! I miss all the greenery there... but that's it, lol! Now I understand why everyone's wanting to use 3S with the Gremlin. Do you know the weight difference of your frame between Delrin and CF?

So when it comes time to upgrade my BH to a CF frame, my 2S 325s are going to have to find a new ride. :D

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I do not know the difference as I never weighed the raw delrin frame before I built it.

If you do go 3s on the Gremlin I suggest short test hops til you have it tuned as stock pids heat the motors fast on 3s and you can fry them or the esc's. Just keep a CLOSE eye on temps for the first few flights as you dial it in.

imjosecampos

How do you guys monitor your battery? I got a gremlin with a FrSky XM+ and since there is no OSD or telemetry I have no idea how to make sure I don't discharge my batteries too much... Any ideas?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I use a runcam swift 2 micro on mine that has the osd with voltage. I also use the %timer on my Taranis which is in my opinion the best way to fly any multi rotor and get the maximum performance out of your batteries. I can bring my Gremlin down nearly perfect at 3.7 - 3.8 v per cell every time no matter whether I fly hard or just cruise around using it. Still working out the timer on my Alien since the rebuild being lighter and no longer having a working action camera to carry around on it. Taz is pretty spot on for 4s but that one is getting upped to 5s in the next week or so and hopefully 6s before FFO so timers will have to be re spec'd I am sure.

Oh and Welcome to Flite test mate. Just noticed that was your first post. Maybe at some point you could do a "Hi I am here" post and let us know a bit about what you do within our hobby and your interests and goals for the coming season.

enrico

Quasi Flying
How do you guys monitor your battery? I got a gremlin with a FrSky XM+ and since there is no OSD or telemetry I have no idea how to make sure I don't discharge my batteries too much... Any ideas?
The best thing for me has been adding a buzzer. I installed after crashing in 1/2 inch grass and having to look for it for ages.... The best thing however is that the buzzer also beeps to indicate low voltage! Which I find much better that having to rely on me looking at numbers in the OSD...too busy trying to stay in the air at the moment to be concentrated on lil numbers...

enrico

Quasi Flying
O.K. here are some weights. Gremlin build with props, velcro battery strap, and foam camera mount minus any FPV gear is 83 grams.
The 2s 450 mah gens ace 25c battery is 32.4 g, The 3s 450mah gens ace 25c is 45.6 g, and the monster no name 3s 800 mah 20c I started with is 71.8 g.

I have a runcam swift micro to put on it but not a vtx agaian as the last video system with a runcam swift mini and 25/200/600 vtx that was on it has moved on to a race quad build. When that system was on it auw was 157g with the 3s 450 pack That will lighten even more with the smaller camera and smaller vtx.

Currently I have the Josh B Delrin frame.

This was one of my first flights with the Gremlin at a fat 187 G AUW.

My other crappy Gremlin videos were all the process of finding a usable video system as that hyperion set up is junk in my mind and I will NEVER buy another CMOS based system for FPV again. Only CCD.
Interesting weight... mine is 79grams flying weight minus battery (delrin TJ frame).