Gremlin Build trouble. Please Help!!!

Abyss9099

Hello everyone, I recently bought a FT Gremlin kit and followed along with TJ’s YouTube build video. The only difference is that I am running a FrSky R-XSR receiver. I know that it has Sbus and also features smartport telemetry. I looked at Emax’s documentation on the Femto F3 FC and wired my RX correctly according to both the FC wiring diagram and FrSky’s wiring diagram that came with my receiver. (Will include photos) I have also bound my X9D+ Transmitter to the R-XSR as per the instructions and it is bound successfully. The problem I am having is that when the FC is connected to Betaflight and I set up the configuration for Serial based Rx and then choose sbus and save, I go to the Receiver tab and none of my stick inputs are showing up at all. I have tried literally everything I can think of to remedy this problem and I can not figure it out. I have even tried flashing the FC and even when jumping the boot pads, it will not update/flash the firmware to the FC. Below are pictures of how my Gremlin is wired and how the FrSky R-XSR are wired. If anyone has any answers, Please, please help.
Thanks in advance,
Abyss9099
C1E5EF6B-7F85-4B69-B262-ECE83F31A5ED.jpeg
DE014CE6-17D3-489E-A1B4-407744EB8AB0.jpeg
3BCC955D-F5D7-4EA9-9538-7403E41EC972.jpeg
34CFA1E2-E8A2-4959-826B-18C081312525.jpeg
246E93D7-28A5-45E5-B36D-4BA378AC8A84.jpeg

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I would also go back and redo some of those solder joints as the exposed wires are kind of long and can short against adjacent pads.

Abyss9099

What version of the configurator and firmware are you running? If you were unable to flash, I'm guessing 3.0.x which is incompatible with the later versions of the configurator. Your flashing problems are probably driver related, try running the driver fixer from here - Downloads - ImpulseRC and attempt flashing again.
Thank you for the very quick response! 😀 I am running Betaflight Configurator version 10.2.0 (the standalone version) and the
Firmware on the FC says BTFL 3.0.1 (Target SPEV) according to Betaflight located just under where it tells what version of Betaflight I’m running. The problem I’m facing now is...if Google Chrome no longer supports nor carries any versions, esp. older versions of apps, in this case Betaflight, and all you can get nowadays is the standalone version starting at version 10.0.0, (unless I’m mistaken ) then wouldn’t this all make this build essentially a very expensive paperweight? I’m not willing to give up quite yet. There HAS to be a work-around. I’m just really discouraged at this point because I feel that I’ve tried everything that I personally know and this Gremlin build has fought me many steps of the way. Any ideas that you think may be of any assistance is HUGELY appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Abyss

Abyss9099

@ ElectriSean Thanks So much! I just ran the ImpulseRC Driver fixer and it worked!!! I was able to flash the latest firmware to the FC and now Betaflight sees my stick inputs under the receiver tab. Two of the motors are running in opposite directions though and wondered if it is better to just switch 2 of the motor wires around or if it is better to go into BLHeli suite.
I am running Emax 30A Bullet series ESC's and don't really know if they're BLHeli suite compatible. I suppose I"ll find out.
Sorry for all the NOOB questions. When I started in my multirotor adventures the Naze32 board was the latest and greatest thing and the tech has changed in such a short amount of time that its gotten hard to keep up. SBUS is completely new to me and is almost a foreign language in and of itself. lol. Thanks once again!
~Abyss

Abyss9099

Thank you to everyone who helped me troubleshoot the Gremlin build!!!
I was able to fix everything thanks to ElectriSean's suggestion on running the ImmersionRC Driver Fixer. That worked like a charm.
As far as changing motor direction, I just swapped two of the motor wires around on the ESC's and it worked as well.
The Gremlin just had its Maiden in my kitchen. I'm anxious for it to stop raining here so that I can put it to open air with the goggles on.
Thank You Everybody!
Happy Flying.
~Abyss

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Looking good :) You Should probably secure your Rx antennae, they are at risk of damage by the props. What I do is shrink tube them to a zip tie attached to an arm or standoff underneath the prop line.

On this one they are on the front arms, but using the rear arms or standoffs work equally well.

IMG_0785.JPG

IMG_0783.JPG