Gremlin Disarms Mid-flight

Hello everyone,

My Gremlin has been giving me some issues lately. When flying anything more than gently, it goes dead and falls, almost like it was disarmed mid-flight. Usually, it could be re-armed right afterward, but recently, it has been staying disarmed (despite my flipping the arm switch) until the battery was unplugged and plugged back in.

Today, it won't even take off. It just arms (most of the time), spools up, then goes back to idle on it's own and disarms. Here's a video:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1o2U52Zqw0w-93qfN6InAchbXfsk01kjh/view?usp=sharing

I did just get some new batteries (2s Turnigy 500mah 20C from Hobbyking), but the issue started with my Hyperion Graphene battery recommended for the Gremlin.

Also, my soldering leaves much to be desired, so that could be a fault point too.

Anyone have any ideas on what the problem could be? I would appreciate any help!

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Can you post some screenshots of your betaflight configuration tab, as well as some close up shots of your connections to the FC?

Hi ElectriSean!

Sorry for the delay, my procrastination caught up with me all at once and I've been paying off homework debts all week! Here's a picture of my FC:
IMG_2406.png

And my configuration tab:
Fianl.png

I haven't touched the PIDs.

Thanks for the help!

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
You definitely want to start by cleaning up the solder connections... Check out Psyborgs soldering tutorial on here for some good tips and tricks.

Ah... I should have known! I looked at Psyborg's tutorial and went over the board again to clean everything up. I think my soldering looks uglier now, but it does fly! Thanks for the help everyone!

Thanks Daniel!

Careful! You might start a Mac/PC type war here! :) No, actually I'm using Frsky. The issue does sound like a rx/tx deal, but I think the issue was actually one of my ESCs shorting out. I noticed some of the strands of my ESC wires were loose, and once I re-tinned them to keep all the strands together, it flew fine.

Behold, I have learned! Don't forget to make sure I can solder correctly before soldering something important!

kpixels

Antigravity or bust...
Ah... I should have known! I looked at Psyborg's tutorial and went over the board again to clean everything up. I think my soldering looks uglier now, but it does fly! Thanks for the help everyone!

Looks like a foggy day at the beach. Glad to see you fixed it and you're flying again!
Ken

Hi everyone,

Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but I wanted to leave an archive for future internet sojourners. Looks like there may have been another solution to this problem.

I ended getting a new FC because I started having trouble again, but it didn't help. I changed the current sensor in Betaflight to be the ESC sensor instead of MSP sensor (whatever that is) and now it works without problems. I'm not totally sure what I did, but it does fly now. Maybe the FC doesn't have an MSP sensor, or the MSP sensor was messed up. Anyway, hope this helps someone!

Reactions: FDS