Gremlin Emax motor faulty, need replacement!

Ajaxster

Hey Flitetest,

I already submitted a Support inquiry about this but I haven't heard anything in 24 hours now and these things always bother me to no end so I feel impulsive to try and get a response lol. (But sorry if I'm being pushy)

My Case number is 43646

Basically, one of my motors on my gremlin was completely faulty, and it refused to spin smoothly, it would jitter or twitch like it was trying to spin and then just stop all together. I tried switching the position of the faulty motor with a different one because I thought perhaps I had accidently ruined the ESC when I soldered it but apparently it was perfectly fine, the same motor still didn't work regardless of the ESC. I checked the motor wires with my multimeter and there didn't seem to be any problem, so I inspected the end of the wires that connected to the copper windings in the motor and apparently, one of the wires was just poorly connected, and it ended up breaking off completely. I took it to a local hobby store and they told me it would be too difficult to repair and it would just break again over time. So long story short now I'm out one lousy motor and after looking on Emax's web store it would cost me over $50 Canadian just ONE new motor and have it shipped here within a reasonable time (Not waiting for months) which is absurd. To be honest, I was really careful about damaging the parts and I know for certain that nothing I did should have caused the wires to break, I guess it was just a manufacturing error, which is not surprising considering Emax's reputation with motor durability, from what I heard it's not the greatest.

If someone from support could please help me with my support inquiry so I can get a one new motor, even if I have to pay for it, that'd be great! At this point, I just want to get my motor so I can get up and fly already. Also it would be really cool if you guys could try and get Spare parts for the gremlin on the store, to help fix these kind of situations, as I'm undoubtingly sure they will continue to arrise, and so we have easier access to new props and parts without having to pay absurd amounts of money to expedite parts that in reality cost nothing to manufacture from china.

Thanks for reading!

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Hello again Anthony.

Good news, Jen, Josh's wife is handling your customer service issue again. She has asked they send you a motor, but I'm guessing with just having got back from Flite Fest West and catching up with all of the other issues she hasn't written a reply to your email. I have let them know you need one.

Thank you for your patience.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Yeah they are a tad behind on things. I ordered a Gremlin kit April 28 and they had a product mix up with a vendor that took a few days to straighten out. It should be arriving this afternoon according to the tracking. With ALL the gremlin packs waiting for that resolution I assume they were quite busy repacking kits and getting them out the door let alone other problems while they were low staffed for the event.

Be patient its all good FT is on top of the game when it comes to customer support.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Yeah Psy, I'm still waiting to receive mine.

Just a word of advice to anyone building one of these kits, and I'm not saying it's the case here, but these are small motors with small wires and if you try to spin them up without securing them they could damage a wire.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Actually, I'm expecting this build to have lots of people that find the soldering challenging. It's small, delicate wire and if people are using cheap soldering irons they'll be melting the insulation off the wire, or pulling tabs off the flight controller, or bridging components with too much solder and burning up the flight controller or escs.

Ajaxster

Hello again Anthony.

Good news, Jen, Josh's wife is handling your customer service issue again. She has asked they send you a motor, but I'm guessing with just having got back from Flite Fest West and catching up with all of the other issues she hasn't written a reply to your email. I have let them know you need one.

Thank you for your patience.

Ah thank you very much! Don't worry I completely understand, I hate to sound like I'm impatient or demanding I just like to get an idea of the situation. It's a tempermnet of mine lol. If I don't I will literally loose sleep over it. Take your time of course and thanks for the quick response! :D

Ajaxster

How is it that hard to solder a wire :confused: :black_eyed:

For me the problem didn't actually occur with the soldering what happened was the wire connected to the motor windings completely came undone somehow. But besides that, I was totally shocked with the size of these components and just how small the soldering points were. Thankfully I didn't do any worse damage like fry my flight controller like I did the very first time I tried soldering lol. I have quite some experience now so it wasn't hard but for some other people who want to do it as a first build may definetly struggle.

Ajaxster

Yeah they are a tad behind on things. I ordered a Gremlin kit April 28 and they had a product mix up with a vendor that took a few days to straighten out. It should be arriving this afternoon according to the tracking. With ALL the gremlin packs waiting for that resolution I assume they were quite busy repacking kits and getting them out the door let alone other problems while they were low staffed for the event.

Be patient its all good FT is on top of the game when it comes to customer support.

Yes I think your absolutely right, just bad timing with flite fest just finishing. I hope you get ur gremlin soon! Be very careful with the motor wires of course theyre delicate! On any other day though my experience with flitetest's support is superb its one reason I always try to buy components and things from them if somethings ever wrong or I have questions they answer and always help. And I thank them for it :D unlike some experience with other companies like Readytoflyquads their customer support is non exsistant. It's been probably over 8 months and no one's replied to my emails lol but they can sure as hell ship your order out asap when it comes down to taking your money.
:p

Ajaxster

Yeah Psy, I'm still waiting to receive mine.

Just a word of advice to anyone building one of these kits, and I'm not saying it's the case here, but these are small motors with small wires and if you try to spin them up without securing them they could damage a wire.

Yes that's true, I did have them fully secured to the frame. In fact the whole quad was ready to go flying I had checked all my soldering with a multimeter. Configured it in betaflight and then as soon as I setup the motor settings the motor was twitching and not working. All I did was solder it to the ESC like the other three working motors. Man its so depressing. The one time you think everything works out, But of course when is that ever the case with building haha.

Ajaxster

Actually, I'm expecting this build to have lots of people that find the soldering challenging. It's small, delicate wire and if people are using cheap soldering irons they'll be melting the insulation off the wire, or pulling tabs off the flight controller, or bridging components with too much solder and burning up the flight controller or escs.

Yes indeed, exactly why I think if at all possible they should put spare components on the FT Store aswell. For obvious things like props that might inevitably break but also because I think a lot of people who are just getting into flying quads may look at the gremlin and think it's good for them as a beginger quad, but are not very good at soldering have a pretty good chance at accidently ruining their components. I did it in the past when I built a much bigger quad and with the gremlins size it's a no brain-er. It would help clear up the support for people like me who get a bad conponent or happen to mess up if I can just buy a new one. You know... without paying 50 dollars canadian for a motor that probably costs less than a dollar to make :black_eyed: lol

Last edited:

Beau_LunaWolf

Similar Issue

It appears I may be having a similar if not the same issue. In the BLHeli suite only 3 of my ESCs are detecting. I checked all of my solder points and could not find any issue. Needless to say I'm pretty bummed out right now. I didn't even get any Gremlin stickers with my kit. I have submitted a form to the store and hopefully something can be done. Was really looking forward to flying this.

Ajaxster

It appears I may be having a similar if not the same issue. In the BLHeli suite only 3 of my ESCs are detecting. I checked all of my solder points and could not find any issue. Needless to say I'm pretty bummed out right now. I didn't even get any Gremlin stickers with my kit. I have submitted a form to the store and hopefully something can be done. Was really looking forward to flying this.

I know exactly how you feel my friend. Jen was just abe to finish sorting me out with a new motor hopefully they will get to you soon. Now waiting another week or so for it to arrive is gonna feel like forever. Hopefully I can get it sooner than that, I want to get flying too!

Cheers~