Gremlin Guardian motors work in Betaflight, receiver is getting data-- last setup steps?

dansteeby

Hi all,

I'm close to getting my Gremlin Guardian into the air. I'm following the steps in the setup video at:

Everything seems good to go: motors spin up when commanded to do so in Betaflight, are in the right location, and spinning in the proper direction; transmitter is bound and I can see the expected graphs and whatnot move around in the "Receiever" tab when I twiddle my transmitter; Mode Switches are set up; Props are on.

In testing, I install a charged battery and confirm it is connected to the transmitter. Flipping the switch to "Arm" mode doesn't cause the motors to start to spin in 'idle' mode, and and adjusting the throttle up doesn't cause the motors to spin, either. I seem to be getting the signal and have verified that the motors will spin, but they're not doing it yet. Are there any other steps I need to take to get the signal that I've verified that I'm receiving to spin the motors that I've verified will spin? Thanks again for any help!

Bricks

Master member
BetaFlight will give you the reasons it is not arming with arming flags, check your transmitter I went thru something similar. In modes ARM tab make sure the tick is covering the arm section. There should be NO throttle cut setup in your transmitter this is what got me. Aux 5 ( aux 5 is the source ) is controlled by the switch you choose not mixed to any throttle, as the flight controller controls the ARM sequence not your transmitter.. If using a Spektrum transmitter you need to go into the radio and change the Throttle range to %125.

It will not ARM connected to Betaflight so make sure your USB cord is not connected.

AND ALWAYS PROPS OFF

dansteeby

Thanks again! I finally have a success to report: further fiddling resulted in the following discoveries:

- My ARM switch was backwards from what I expected.

- I didn't realize that I could not make things work fully while connected to betaflight (props off). My assupmtion was that if the motors would spin up on the motors screen and the receiver data was going on on the receiver screen, then I would be able to send commands to the receiver and see the motors respond. Good to know that Betaflight does not allow this.

- One thing I found was that I had to play with the ARM switch several times to get it to arm. In Betaflight, the Mode does not change when I flip the switch, but the change gets reported as soon as I adjust the throttle after flipping the switch. Not sure if that is an odd behavior or another normal behavior that I'm just not familiar with.

All said, I Gremlin lifted majestically into the air for a few brief seconds before the only battery I have for it died, but I'm counting this as a success. Thank you again for all the help!

Bricks

Master member
Thanks again! I finally have a success to report: further fiddling resulted in the following discoveries:

- My ARM switch was backwards from what I expected.

- I didn't realize that I could not make things work fully while connected to betaflight (props off). My assupmtion was that if the motors would spin up on the motors screen and the receiver data was going on on the receiver screen, then I would be able to send commands to the receiver and see the motors respond. Good to know that Betaflight does not allow this.

- One thing I found was that I had to play with the ARM switch several times to get it to arm. In Betaflight, the Mode does not change when I flip the switch, but the change gets reported as soon as I adjust the throttle after flipping the switch. Not sure if that is an odd behavior or another normal behavior that I'm just not familiar with.

All said, I Gremlin lifted majestically into the air for a few brief seconds before the only battery I have for it died, but I'm counting this as a success. Thank you again for all the help!

Go to the receiver tab and see what your throttle channel is showing should be 1000 low throttle ( or lower ) and 2000 high throttle, if you are not getting 1000 or less adjust the travel in your transmitter. Actually should do this to all channels it will make a better flying quad 1000- 1500-2000 ( course throttle is just 1000-2000 ). Once you do this go back into the receiver tab with quad hooked up move the channels then hit save for the new end points. If the 1500 center is jittery it will make the quad wonder a bit this can be set up in BetaFlight add a little expo in the center position, do not forget any changes be sure and hit save or they will not be..

dansteeby

Go to the receiver tab and see what your throttle channel is showing should be 1000 low throttle ( or lower ) and 2000 high throttle, if you are not getting 1000 or less adjust the travel in your transmitter. Actually should do this to all channels it will make a better flying quad 1000- 1500-2000 ( course throttle is just 1000-2000 ). Once you do this go back into the receiver tab with quad hooked up move the channels then hit save for the new end points. If the 1500 center is jittery it will make the quad wonder a bit this can be set up in BetaFlight add a little expo in the center position, do not forget any changes be sure and hit save or they will not be..

Thanks for this advice-- I'm using a Radiomaster T8 light transmitter, and when looking the throttle values on the receiver tab of Betaflight, I see that the range goes from 855 to over 2100. Both the low and the high are outside of the 1000-2000 range. When I push my sticks to the max values while flying, my quad seems to go into failsafe mode until I back off on the controls-- this behavior occurs in both sticks. Getting the quad to arm is very tricky, and requires minutely adjusting the throttle controls at the bottom of the throttle position range while toggling the ARM switch back and forth until it arms, sometimes this takes a dozen or more attempts before it finally arms.

Is this behavior because the transmitter is sending values less than 1000? I've found instructions on how to calibrate the T8 Lite and have done that process, but the range values did not change after performing calibration. Is there some other way to tell my transmitter not to send values outside the 1000-2000 range?

Bricks

Master member
You are below the thresh hold of 1,000 as your transmitter shows 855. When hooked to Betaflight PROPS OFF and battery plugged into quad are you getting any arming flags?

When you mentions modes are you talking about the arm status in the modes tab? If your switch tick is not covering the orange it will not arm.

Not familiar with the T8 Lite can you adjust end points in the transmitter?

Explain how you have your throttle cut switch setup?