Gremliwhooping!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Spent alot of time evolving my gremlin gettin it set up to fly different types of flying.

Started with freestyle while finding a video system that made me happy.

Moved on to racing when I found a tiny gate set last year.

Now with focus gearing up on cinewhoop type craft I figured it was time to evolve again and go for a 3s open prop set up that handles close to what a tiny whoop does / would.

I am kind of guessing because I dont have a whoop to compare it to. I know they rely heavy on yaw and light on pitch and roll. They mainly get flown in some form of level mode but I dont like it.

This setup does work with both assisted modes as well as acro mode.

This video is all acro mode with me still trying to turn with yaw only after spending a year and a half learning to fly with 55+ degree camera tilt making roll the dominant axis for turning.

Here is what it looks like so you can see what gear I used and the configuration I built.

20190521_163238.jpg

And here is a screen shot of all the settings needed to fly like a tinywhoop.

Disclaimer: use the pids at your own risk unless your build is a mirror image of mine and weighs the same and flys on 3s. The rest of the settings are what makes it handle like it does.

Gremwhoop PIDS.jpg

cnc_dave

hum pretty interesting.
are those props for those little things fairly durable. seems like they would be as long as you didn't absolutely grind them into something hard.
i've been thinking about giving a 3 inch a try???

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
hum pretty interesting.
are those props for those little things fairly durable. seems like they would be as long as you didn't absolutely grind them into something hard.
i've been thinking about giving a 3 inch a try???

This thing is comin up on or sligtly past 3 years old. I am about to buy my second box of props. Maybe a dozen props in its life.

They are so small its hard to really kill one. The leading edge corner gets ground up pretty good depending where you crash.

The bends just get gently moved back into place as the generally tend to bend right at the hub. They do eventually stress and show white lines. Gives an early warning it may be close to its end. I fly em til the blade splits or comes off in my fingers 😂.

If you want something fun that can be fun inside and out that is crazy durable the original gremlin is it.

Extremely docile on 2s with settings like this yet a serious outdoir ripper on 3s with proper tune.

Getting it tuned to 3s is a slow process without frying the motors and with so many different ways to build them cookie cutter pids are not reliable as you can litetally smoke a motor and or esc in seconds.

The rates and angle / horizon setting will transfer to any quad for cinestyle flying. Just have to manage your throttle with a gentle touch.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Did some tweaking to the rates to smooth out pitch and roll. Really liking this for this stlye of flying.

Over 8 mins actual air time makes it that much nicer.

I will screen shot changes when I plug into the computer to back it up so anyone interested can try them.

Next step is to see how the Alien flys with these rates for cinestyle flying. May have to start shootin hd footage again.

kdobson83

I'm interested!!! Just getting back to my 2s Gremlin and have no idea how to tune it... I got into betaflight when I realised I didn't know what any of the pid's meant... Lol a screen show would be appreciated!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Ill get the screen shot up soon but my pids wont help you. I fly 3s on mine with a heavy build.

The rates and the auto level / horizon settings are what make it fly like a whoop.

You can scroll up a few posts and see the settings I started with to let you see or get you close till I hook the gremlin to the compy.

I have to be careful as my fc is bear 3 years old and the usb is getting hard to plug in.

Stevo430687

Did some tweaking to the rates to smooth out pitch and roll. Really liking this for this stlye of flying.

Over 8 mins actual air time makes it that much nicer.

I will screen shot changes when I plug into the computer to back it up so anyone interested can try them.

Next step is to see how the Alien flys with these rates for cinestyle flying. May have to start shootin hd footage again.

Wow, eight minutes...nice!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Had to go with wider normal velcro to hold the battery to make that work.

Otherwise the batteries and normal straps are too grippy and it would flio over everytime.

@foamy. He bro thanx for the compliments and comments on the video. I did not understand what you were asking about on the yt comment. Can you clarify for me mate?

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Sorry. The autocorrect on the phones is killing me!:poop:
The comment was supposed to read, How were you able to get it dailed in?

You were slow and controlled not racing. Reading the thread here. I see the answer.