GREMSICLE

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
I wanted a Gremlin, but not everyone else's Gremlin, so I had to make my own. Since just getting a 3D-printer, it had to be printed, but I didn't want to have to reprint the WHOLE frame if it broke, so I got creative and the GREMSICLE was born!

It's 7 3D-printed parts and 6 popsicle sticks, using typical (or upgraded) Gremlin "guts".

My other personal goal for the Gremsicle was to build a frame that could handle slightly bigger 2-blade props, a bigger battery, and fly more docile for a longer time. Not long distance necessarily, just a longer flight time to allow more 'exploring' time around wherever you're flying. Recently, I flew my Gremsicle on a 2000mAh 2S for over 15 minutes, maneuvering in moderate wind at very various altitudes. Not racing or acro, but I think that's a decent endurance setup.

I used RedBottom 1106-4500Kv motors, 12A Bullets and 3x2 2-blade props, but this should fly just peachy-keen with totally stock G-Pack parts.

Anyway, I'll talk more about it if people ask, but for now I just want to get the files out there and share it with y'all if anyone is interested.

Have fun, go fly!

Files are also on Thingiverse here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2715860

Body STL: https://drive.google.com/open?id=14hr0gyCHyMFBL7lUu7y6or7Yu8WuvG2v

Motor Mount STL: https://drive.google.com/open?id=19mGAxeFFbZ6IFCfsl5nV23WXV3WZA-1M

Side Arm STL: https://drive.google.com/open?id=14P7vShVTxmwJ3kBaqXyVNcPAf6RFh3Ie

ALL PARTS STL: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1JJFYyqSfSXIFXmbfRNUJUjAMWaih0emp

:cool:

Gremsicle_Arm.jpg

24879314_10154810788701082_900882344_o.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5693.JPG
    IMG_5693.JPG
    740.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
That is the intended Gremlin spirit. Nice work, Ben! And very nice having you share the print files. Have you/will you post on thingiverse too?
—Jim

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
So it's been a while since I posted here - I've been a LITTLE "distracted" lately ;)

After flying the Gremsicle around the woods a bunch, I had a few crashes - all recoverable and repairable in the field - I finally slammed it into a tree pretty bad.

Here's a good video first:

And here's the header into a tree trunk:

That crash tore one of the wires out of one of the motor windings, so I was done for a while. When I got home, I updated the motor mounts and center body a bit - making a bit more protection for the motors and removing some of the sharp corners - and printed a new set of parts.

I also realize I haven't actually put it on a scale or posted any weights here. So here's what it looks like now, updated, and with weights:

Frame and electronics (no battery): 110g
RTF with 950mAh 2S: 155g
RTF with 2000mAh 2S: 209g

FullSizeRender 7.jpg

FullSizeRender 6.jpg

FullSizeRender 8.jpg

The other new update is I am now gonna try it on Gemfan 3-blade, 3035 props. I'm hoping that the larger diameter will get me the efficiency and endurance I'm looking for. What I'd REALLY love to try are some 2-blade, 4" diameter low pitch (2" or so) props, but I haven't been able to find any that will fit the 1106 mount.

Also, huge huge HUGE thanks to Psyborg for his patience and guidance getting me and my frame squared away. Thanks dude!!

Last edited:

French

Construire Voler S'écraser Répéter
What an awesome spot to fly a micro. Glad you’re back up in the air.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Awesome job with this Ben. Good to see you have got to where you wanted to be and this has met the expectations. As far as my help you were already on the right track. At best we just saved a little time getting there. This should be something to maybe promote for STEM as the design aspects and the 3d printer work would be a nice progression from a normal quad build. The wood work would also be a nice way to explore other media and how it reacts with the flight systems.

Another successful Ben project in your portfolio for sure. :applause:

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
I've got two heavy-lift updates to report from this weekend:

1. The Gremsicle will fly for a full 15 MINUTES solid, on a 2000mAh 2S battery. FIFTEEN MINUTES!

2. On a smaller 950mAh 2S, the Gremsicle has the ability to lift a full-HD Foxeer Legend2 camera, which opens up the ability to capture awesome HD footage on a micro-brushless quad.

IMG_6246.JPG

Both of these setups are using the 4500Kv 1106 motors, turning 3-blade 3035 propellers. I really like this setup.

Just be careful when descending in a ravine ... :p

AMAZINGLY, the frame is entirely still flyable, less its "head". The motors and all the electronics are still good. I love this little machine. :D

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
No fair!!!!

Your out there in shorts on a bright sunny day and I still have calf deep snow with more on the way...

Great vids mate. Them motors were not happy carrying that camera hehe I can hear their anger. How was heat on them and the esc's after that? OHH wait STEERMAN!!! two words... BEEE PER!!! ( I know dont help when you eject the battery) Think about latency if you do anything but slow higher altitude flying with just the action camera.

I think I saw the camera launch in that last video. If it was what I saw it had a high trajectory and would not have been to far. I assume from what I think I saw it would be not to far on the other side of the v shape of the rocks in that gully. Like just over your right shoulder in the last part of that video maybe in the 20- 30 foot range from where you stood. You almost point to where I think it went around the 5:50 mark

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Keep up the great work Mid7Night! Really love the diversity of your projects.

Gotta agree with PsyBorg.... VERY jelly of the shorts. Rain, snow, Sleet, Wind, gray here.... :-( AKA Indoor Season.

We are living vicariously through your great adventures here!

Cheers!
LitterBug

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
No fair!!!!

Your out there in shorts on a bright sunny day and I still have calf deep snow with more on the way...

Great vids mate. Them motors were not happy carrying that camera hehe I can hear their anger. How was heat on them and the esc's after that? OHH wait STEERMAN!!! two words... BEEE PER!!! ( I know dont help when you eject the battery) Think about latency if you do anything but slow higher altitude flying with just the action camera.

I think I saw the camera launch in that last video. If it was what I saw it had a high trajectory and would not have been to far. I assume from what I think I saw it would be not to far on the other side of the v shape of the rocks in that gully. Like just over your right shoulder in the last part of that video maybe in the 20- 30 foot range from where you stood. You almost point to where I think it went around the 5:50 mark

LOL! Yeah, the motors were definitely crying for mercy! Even through all that though, I didn't feel much heat off them or the ESCs after each flight. And I flew three "heavy camera" flights in a row yesterday.

I heard that beeper noise too, what is that? It sounded like the noises from the Legend2 - but you're saying that was from the flight controller?

Camera: I probably won't actually try flying through the Legend2, but it's nice to know I can. I'll probably widen my center-body piece a bit and make room for a SplitMicro setup. :)

Yeah, I saw the same thing - what looked like my camera flying off out of frame, but I didn't see it 'til we were already gone. I did look off in that direction while I was there, but there are SO many little rocky crevices for it to hide in.... and it's likely smashed to bits anyway.

Happy to bring some warm smiles to the rest of the chilly country! :p

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
hehe Still mad you was out in shorts already... I may have to hope you stub a toe er something.. haven't decided yet.. I didn't hear any beeping noises I was suggesting to put a beeper on it so you don't have to wander as long as you did to find a downed quad in all that. Try finding a Gremlin in an alfalfa field that is over a foot deep.

You will be surprised how much them lil cameras can take. I full throttle smashed one into that play set out back on one of the rock climbing thicker pieces and all I did was crack the orange casing for the lens. Other times I head on smacked the metal uprights and all that did was tilt the camera up or down. I have lost three of them stupid little lenses already though. Teflon tape is on the list of needs to be ready for summer so I can keep them from vibrating out. Them lock rings don't work so well. They either strip out just before you get them tight tight or they split in either case making them useless.

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Hey! I'm still playing with the Gremsicle after that horrendous crash... I ordered myself a Split Mini, redesigned the frame a bit to be a little wider and have mounting holes:

30706904_10155113062306082_4994882072863571968_n.jpg

30729485_10155113062311082_6692300985588514816_n.jpg

Finally got a few minutes to fly OUTSIDE, so here's the result:

I love love LOVE this little camera! The FPV view is so clear, so much better than the MicroSwift. And the fact that I can record 1080p60fps on board without the weight of a GoPro or bigger Runcam is AWESOME. just what I wanted. :D

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Nice!.. is there a setting to lower the input sound levels to lessen the windy harshess? I got one for my Alien last year before the V2 came out and was scared to add it in with the specific voltage requirements it has. I may add it in now anyways since you said FPV video was nice and clear. I was worried over that but I think the sensor in my original HS 1177 has worked loose as I can not tune the wobbles out of the FPV video yet the quad is flying silky smooth right now.

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
I don't know about the sound input levels...I know there are settings you can change in the menu, but I haven't messed with it AT ALL. That was a completely out-of-the-box stock flight, and I was 100% satisfied. Maybe it's that good, or maybe I'm just not picky enough, either way I recommend it for sure.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Well I shall make this my next priority project since I flew again today and still can't get my darn camera shake to go away. took every axis from 3's to over 6 for p gains not a lick of change. Could hear the change but can't SEE the change so that kinda confirms its a camera thing

Guess I know what I am doing tomorrow.

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
I went to a men's retreat this past weekend with my dad (and other guys), and I took my Gremsicle. Exploring the forest was a blast, and running down the river was SOOO much fun!!

Flying starts aroung 4:05, if you want to skip my rambling ... :p

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Haha I love it when you include your Dad in these vlogs. He is like your own personal hype man like they have in music videos. Funny stuff.

Looks like you got your Gremsicle flying nicely now. I been mulling over a video on rates since I watched Stingys latest video. Seems like a lot of people are a tad off on how they work and how to manipulate them. I say this because of the flying part in the tunnels where you were getting a bit excited and maybe over correcting a bit. That thing flys tight enough that should not be happening which tells me you are probably running a tad high on the rates and relying on just expo like on planes to smooth center sticks a bit. If you don't mind maybe I can use you as a guinea pig to show what changes can be made so things like that don't happen to people specially newer FPV pilots.

The retreat looks like a great place to be. Its cool you have the memories AND they are kept on record for you to go back to and relive making them. You and you Dad looked a touch more happy and relaxed then usual. Glad you had a good time up there.

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
I surely don't mind being a test-case for you, but I don't know how much I would read into the apparent response or lack of control that was demonstrated in that tunnel section. I don't use any expo on the radio-side, but I do have some baked into the rates in Betaflight. That said, I also have different rate profiles on a switch, and I probably should've selected something a bit more detuned for those quarters. The first couple clips flying around the ground were flown with lower rates and less expo, and were much smoother. Also, I didn't do ANY practice runs; that was the first raw run through the tunnel. The main thing I failed to anticipate was the added speed I would pick up when coming back DOWN the tunnel, because while your visual reference (the walls and ground) appear to be "level" relative to your video frame, the tunnel IS sloped down, and I picked up WAY more speed than I was ready for. It's a miracle I saved it as much as I did! :p

Sorry I kind of rambled there... all that said; if you've got some tips that can help improve a newbie-FPVer, then I'm up for it! :D

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Oh I was not picking on your flying at all mate you did fine. Just using the video at hand as an example of a symptom that is common with stock rates or too high rates that can easily be smoothed out. I will take a guess that you have the same rates for pitch and roll and use different amounts of expo for each axis.

You should see the flights I do that don't get put in videos.. I do some seriously ugly flying at times trying to do something or learn a new trick. The odd motor spacing of the Gremsicle is also a great platform to use in contrast to my Stretch Reaper and my Alien. That will give a true X frame, a stretch X, and a squashed X to compare and show different settings and how they work for eact type of craft.