Grifflyer Bell P-39 release

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Before I begin I would like to dedicate this release to my parents, because when I was learning how to fly I had no idea of the forums so I couldn't ask any questions and was struggling severely and wanted to quit trying and leave the hobby but they helped me and got me to where I am today, so if it wasn't for them I might of never gotten here.
And to nerdnic with his clear and descriptive "designing planes build series"

Now, I am proud to introduce the Grifflyer Bell P-39 Airacobra, a scale warbird that is easy to build and fly.
Until now I have had a FT swappable mustang on my list as my favorite airplane but, that has now all changed with my new P-39 that has knocked the P-51 off the podium. The P-39 is only made with TWO sheets of foam, incorporates cheaper electronics, faster to build and repair, easier to fly, much more scale looking (in my personal preference), and it's small size makes it more convenient for transportation and easier it's to store.

OVERVIEW
-Parts list
-FT F pack or similar electronics
-2 sheets Adams readi-board
-1 sheet poster board or three 8.5 x 11 inch. cardstock paper

-Flight characteristics
Although this is a warbird that doesn't mean it needs to fly fast or be a challenge to fly. I specifically designed this plane to be a great way to learn to fly warbirds while being stable, yet having the ability to do some basic aerobatics, as well as having very little bad characteristics.

-Stalls
stalls will occur but happen near a dead stop, but when it does stall is is quite gentle, without dropping a wingtip which makes for easy landings.

-Speed
This is not a plane built for speed nor is the power setup, but in a full power dive it picks up some speed but nothing impressive.

-Handling
When flying you will notice that it is very stable and when put into the hands of a new flier it makes a great 3-4 plane

-Aerobatics
You will be able to do you basic wing overs, very scale looking rolls, large or tight loops, inverted with about 1/3 down stick, knife edges, and stall turns.

-Build difficulty
Following all basic FT build techniques makes for a very simple build

-Glide slope
Although it's not meant to glide it is VERY respectable which makes landing easy

-CG
1.25-2 in. 3.1-5 cm.

-Sum up
So as mentioned above this is a great 3-4 plane, but with a seasoned pilot it is a great plane to take to the field and have some fun without taking up much room in the car.

Now all that's left to do is download the free plans and instructions linked at the bottom of this post and build one for yourself!!

-Gallery

1.jpg

4.jpg

a (1).jpg

b - Copy.jpg

c (1).jpg

d.jpg

e.jpg

-Maiden

-Plans
Bell P-39 Plans

-Build instructions
View attachment Bell P-39 instructions.pdf Note: These instructions are outdated but should still suffice in building, if any differences are spotted in the plans go with what is on the plans NOT the instructions

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
It's a great looking plane - don't forget to add a picture or two in the first post so when people find this a year from now they will know how cool it's going to look when they build it. :)

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
how to print the full size plans that are offered with any paper size

Screenshot (18).png

open your plans in Adobe Acrobat Reader

Screenshot (19).png

move your cursor up to the top left and select print

Screenshot (20).png

now select poster mode

Screenshot (21).png

it is also helpful to add cut marks to help when tiling your plans

Screenshot (23).png

you can now print

Last edited:

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
I thought I'd try to add some oil and smoke residue coming from the exhaust stack, and this is what I ended up with.

1.jpg

2.jpg

I also have a spinner coming in the mail to add, and complete the looks of the plane

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Looks like I have another DTFB warbird to add to my queue! Looks great.

glad to here that, and if you have the ability could you post some pictures of your build progress because I would love to see them,
and never hesitate when asking a question about the plane I'd be glad to answer them.

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Ouch! Looks like you might be able to just amputate the nose and put another front end on though.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Ouch! Looks like you might be able to just amputate the nose and put another front end on though.

Yep, that is my plan

also just realized that their is no CG on the plans or instructions, what I usually fly at is 1.25-1.5 inches from the leading edge of the wing

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Really nice Job. I'll have to give this a try. This might help me fly my Ft F4U corsair, Thanks!:D

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
FoamyDM sounds great, I'd love to see some pictures of your build, and have fun with the corsair.

my plane is all fixed, after doing inverted low to the ground, with the whole "when inverted up is down and down is up bla bla bla" and I augured her in, but she'll fly again.

rear turtle deck is done in foamboard NOT posterboard

P1240498.jpg

P1240500.jpg

P1240501.jpg

I also added a popsicle stick cut in half where the "old" and "new" foam meet for support