Grunder Industries ADF-01 Falken build log

Mr. Gandalf

Elite member
I put the battery under the wing this time, and it flew much better!:D However, it is still yawing and I think it is torqueing over when I increase the throttle.

Mr. Gandalf

Elite member
It still seems a little unstable and maybe too light so it doesnt take much to make it move but some progress is being done.
Also, you really need a better naming scheme for your videos

Yeah, I need to add a rudder and get a motor that can use a smaller prop, hopefully that will help a lot.

Definitely need to get some video editing software so I don't have to post so many videos!

Wildthing

Legendary member
Yeah, I need to add a rudder and get a motor that can use a smaller prop, hopefully that will help a lot.

Definitely need to get some video editing software so I don't have to post so many videos!

Getting very close.
It does look like pitch control is erratic. Try increasing the verticals , make them larger and just tape it on so they can be removed if it doesn't change it.

It also looks like it is zooming slightly so you could try shimming the motor down at bit at a angle. Looks like it almost flew level a couple times.

Wildthing

Legendary member
For shimming of the motor I just loosen off the bolts a bit and stuff in some toothpicks and then snug it back up and break the toothpicks off.

Mr. Gandalf

Elite member
I would snug those guys up tighter then, if the motor is moving around your thrust angle is changing all the time. Something like have a tv setup but not under your control.

My arrow's motor is zip tied on and it flies great, but I think you're right, it would be best to eliminate as many possible problems as possible.

Mr. Gandalf

Elite member
I got to fly the falken yesterday but it was just more of the same.:( I was crunched for time so I didn't mess around with the falken for too long.

I did make some improvements before I flew it, I shimmed the motor down some and I think that helped a bit. I also added a rudder inspired by one of @L Edge's planes.

1572986737891.png

I didn't fly long enough to trim out the yaw but I am definitely glad to have a rudder. The torque is still unmanageable so I don't think I will be trying to fly this plane again until I get a smaller prop.

Also @Wildthing mentioned how the roll seemed erratic, and while I was flying I noticed that the wings started wobbling when I tried to counteract the torque with aileron input. Any ideas on what is causing that?

Wildthing

Legendary member
I got to fly the falken yesterday but it was just more of the same.:( I was crunched for time so I didn't mess around with the falken for too long.

I did make some improvements before I flew it, I shimmed the motor down some and I think that helped a bit. I also added a rudder inspired by one of @L Edge's planes.

View attachment 147267

I didn't fly long enough to trim out the yaw but I am definitely glad to have a rudder. The torque is still unmanageable so I don't think I will be trying to fly this plane again until I get a smaller prop.

Also @Wildthing mentioned how the roll seemed erratic, and while I was flying I noticed that the wings started wobbling when I tried to counteract the torque with aileron input. Any ideas on what is causing that?
Where it flexes , anyway to add some reinforcement ? Skewers or cf rod .

Mr. Gandalf

Elite member
So before getting started on another Falken I decided to build an ADF-11F Raven. This plane's design looks like it will be easier to fly than the Falken, so it will be some good motivation.

1597254880663.png

While modifying my Falken drawings to turn it into a Raven I ended up with a much better design for the fuselage. With the old design there was barely any room for a 450mah 3s, but now there's plenty of space!

1597255848675.png 1597255942144.png

@Vimana89, I know you've built lots of cool delta wing planes, and I'm in need of some advice. This plane will use elevons, but I don't know where or how big they should be, any ideas?

Mr. Gandalf

Elite member
Alright I flew the Raven this morning, and I think it flew well! Once it was in the air I was in full control until I made a turn. When it started to roll it didn't stop, and in fact even though It was only 6 feet off the ground it managed to roll about 3 times before it crashed!

This is probably due to the anhedral wingtips, so once that gets fixed it should fly great!