Guess what I built.

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Hmm,
What did I fly this morning?
Rocket plane!.JPG

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Double boom, not quite an O-2, its inspired by the photo in Model Airplane News.
Hint: It has one motor, but two ESCs.

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Rocket plane!!!
We have a winner!
! image.jpg

Actually, it's a cool looking trainer that just happens to have a rocket boost. I handed the transmitter to a total noob today and he flew it for 2 min while my hands warmed up. It was his second flight ever.

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
Rocket planes aren't as fun as they sound. But I plan on making another one anyway because I have two engines left from my first attempt. ;)

rcspaceflight

Have you tested this yet? I had my thrust CG, or whatever you want to call it, off on my first attempt so my plane did back flips during the rocket's thrust. I'm guessing you don't have that rocket centered right and the plane is going to nose dive during thrust. Your elevator isn't going to do a thing against the power of a C rocket.

I definitely want to see the video of it's maiden because I'm guessing it's going to fail.

rcspaceflight

Here is my whoopsie. The video is bad because it's the first RC plane video I made.

I'm not trying to be mean. I'm just saying, it looks like your thrust angle is all wrong for your rocket engine. Your plane should be able to balance with the nose straight up and your finger on the end of the rocket engine.

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Have you tested this yet? I had my thrust CG, or whatever you want to call it, off on my first attempt so my plane did back flips during the rocket's thrust. I'm guessing you don't have that rocket centered right and the plane is going to nose dive during thrust. Your elevator isn't going to do a thing against the power of a C rocket.

I definitely want to see the video of it's maiden because I'm guessing it's going to fail.
It flies beautifully, both under prop and rocket power. No offense taken, the thrust angle looks wrong because it is wrong. I fired the rocket in 22 f Temps, and the hot glue broke, I need to fix that. By the way, it isn't launched vertically, rather, the Rocket is an altitude booster. My procedure is to climb to 300 feet, pitch the aircraft into a 60 degree climb, and then fire the engine as I throttle back. On an A8-3 carrying 3000mah worth of two cells, it climbed nicely for about 3 seconds.

Last edited:

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
"My procedure is to climb to 300 feet, pitch the aircraft into a 60 degree climb, and then fire the engine as I throttle back."

I gotta see this fly. Please post video.