Guillows Cessna 170 RC Build

Citabria

Okay, tackling rc again after a few more builds and a failed rc cherokee. Currently the gear weighs 31gramsšŸ˜¬ shooting for 55-60 grams flying weight. The plane the gear was pulled out weighed 66 grams flying weight, wouldnā€™t loop and basically flew just off of stall. The 170 kit comes in Friday so expect posts soon. This is my first rc conversion and tissue isnā€™t my strong suit the stuff wrinkles so easy on curves for me so it probably wonā€™t be pretty.

Last edited:

Citabria

So the kit came in and the formers are drying. Since this is my first conversion Iā€™ll be taking it slow and doing it one step at a time. Anyways here is a shot of a the one piece wing so far. I have 2 1/16 stringers top and bottom on there for strength, but they arenā€™t fully level with the cabin so that the wing sits flat.

Attachments

• B7947D91-D8B5-4982-AB5D-13FD8A9A33C9.jpeg
    B7947D91-D8B5-4982-AB5D-13FD8A9A33C9.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1

Citabria

Alright, hereā€™s what I got so far fueselage is almost ready for rc gear but the landing gear is beefed up with 1/16 inch plywood which is overkill in the weight department . But on my rubber powered super Cub it has just 1/16 ply and not 1/16 balsa with it, and that thing handled hard landings really well it never broke and it was held in with hot glue and the wire was too. I guess hot glue is the answer for landing gear because itā€™s spongey and flexy.

Attachments

• CB674682-647D-4BA4-927B-CF2973F96669.jpeg
    CB674682-647D-4BA4-927B-CF2973F96669.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0

cyclone3350

Master member
I've never used water-slide decals on tissue; that sounds like a real pain in the neck. Any tips?

Dope the tissue & let dry. Slide into place as close as U can as moving decals on wet tissue is not easy. Let the tissue dry, & make a thin 30/70 white glue to water. Wet a small brush with the white glue mix & carefully slide that back under the decal & blot the excess. I use waterslide decals on almost anything. U can see some examples here https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/new-to-ft-my-stuff.66655/

Citabria

Alright guys weekend was a little busy but Iā€™ll try to get the elevator posted tonight. What do you guys think about a dumas bird dog with a cox 0.49 theyā€™re pretty cheap right now and I already have the kit, I would use the same receiver and servos as this build but with no throttle control.
Iā€™m currently looking at two engines the silver bee and black widow IDK what is better I know they have more power than a normal 0.49.

Last edited:

Piotrsko

Master member
The black widow had 2 benefits: fuel tank and a better fit piston/cylinder. another minute of run and it didn't drain the tank while inverted. Not sure what current ones use for a tank.

If you shave the glowplug and match the piston better you can get to the power of an 051 butnot the TD051. Or just buy the 051 cyl assembly.

Citabria

The black widow had 2 benefits: fuel tank and a better fit piston/cylinder. another minute of run and it didn't drain the tank while inverted. Not sure what current ones use for a tank.

If you shave the glowplug and match the piston better you can get to the power of an 051 butnot the TD051. Or just buy the 051 cyl assembly.
The black widow sold šŸ˜ so I bought a golden bee. Might be underpowered but I donā€™t even know if Iā€™ll put it on the bird dog.

Piotrsko

Master member
Golden bee was the same as a black widow just gold anodized. Figure about 4lbs thrust on a 6-4 and high nitro fuel, same as a FT C class motor on 3S pack