Guinea Pig, addicted to FT planes :)

pdxflight

New guy here. Been out of the hobby for a while. Purchased a Eflite mini-apprentice for the kids last Christmas, now we are building FT plans...like crazy

Just needs to electronics (I am taking the SAFE system out of the apprentice and using dx6) installed.

Mods:
1. Cargo door is not tapered. Plane tapers aft of cargo door
2. Added more scale "windows"

FT Guinea Pig.jpg
FT Guinea Pig.jpg

kdobson83

Looks nice. I ahvent painted my mini Guinea yet. Was having trouble with my BEC 's on my esc giving me brown outs after I added the cargo door servo. This caused a few crashes that now requires me to rebuild the nose and wing. The crushable nose is awesome! Lol Ordered 2 esc's without BEC's and and an external 5a ubec that should fix the brown outs.

Anyway, good luck with the addiction. I've got 8 planes with more I plan to build this winter/spring. I plan to build till the wife says stop. Lol
Welcome back to the hobby.

d8veh

Elite member
Looks nice. I ahvent painted my mini Guinea yet. Was having trouble with my BEC 's on my esc giving me brown outs after I added the cargo door servo. This caused a few crashes that now requires me to rebuild the nose and wing. The crushable nose is awesome! Lol Ordered 2 esc's without BEC's and and an external 5a ubec that should fix the brown outs.

Anyway, good luck with the addiction. I've got 8 planes with more I plan to build this winter/spring. I plan to build till the wife says stop. Lol
Welcome back to the hobby.
That's right, you have to be careful with the BECs that are included with the ESCs. I'vehad all sorts of weird effects. The more cells you have in your battery, the less servos you can use. Some don't like having two servos on one channel. Some get compromised if you accidentally touch the battery with the wrong polarity - they still work, but can't provide enough power. I'm now thinking that it pays to get well-proven ESCs or maybe use a separate BEC if you have a plane that you care about.

PoorManRC

Master member
NICE!! I just started my "addiction"! I REALLY want to do a Guinea Pig. Don't know why, it's not the sexiest of Aircraft....
I'm just drawn to it.
Really like your Cockpit Window Details! I still have a different mindset from what seems to be the FT norm. SOME of these, I DON'T WANT to be disposable Aircraft!!

I'm likely going to DESTROY my first few.... But it's my Mission to seriously increase the durability and longevity of some of them!!
I hope yours keeps looking good for quite a while!

pdxflight

That's right, you have to be careful with the BECs that are included with the ESCs. I'vehad all sorts of weird effects. The more cells you have in your battery, the less servos you can use. Some don't like having two servos on one channel. Some get compromised if you accidentally touch the battery with the wrong polarity - they still work, but can't provide enough power. I'm now thinking that it pays to get well-proven ESCs or maybe use a separate BEC if you have a plane that you care about.

Have the brownout issue with the emaxx 12A speed controller I bought for the Pun and mini's. I replaced it with the Eflite 18A out of the apprentice and the Pun is ready to fly.

pdxflight

NICE!! I just started my "addiction"! I REALLY want to do a Guinea Pig. Don't know why, it's not the sexiest of Aircraft....
I'm just drawn to it.
Really like your Cockpit Window Details! I still have a different mindset from what seems to be the FT norm. SOME of these, I DON'T WANT to be disposable Aircraft!!

I'm likely going to DESTROY my first few.... But it's my Mission to seriously increase the durability and longevity of some of them!!
I hope yours keeps looking good for quite a while!

Yes, I plan on keeping the pig for a while. Dropping things out of the sky is fun and the kids can learn on it. The impression FT gives is that these are cheap so yes, disposable, but part of that is them just releasing so many models we get that illusion. In the past, with Mhz radios, most of my planes never made it to retirement anyway :)

basslord1124

Master member
Welcome to the craziness! Cool looking little G-Pig. Never flown or built one, but I always thought the concept of the Guinea Pig was cool.

PoorManRC

Master member
Yes, I plan on keeping the pig for a while. Dropping things out of the sky is fun and the kids can learn on it. The impression FT gives is that these are cheap so yes, disposable, but part of that is them just releasing so many models we get that illusion. In the past, with Mhz radios, most of my planes never made it to retirement anyway :)

Yeah, I get their concept.... And several of the one's I'll build will end up in the bin (saving Wings is apparently a tradition though).
The Keepers are getting MonoKote, and will have ALL squared edges rounded. ;)