Guys..I can't hover...

Carbon

Elemental Madness
So here's the story. I reeeeaaalllyyy want to get into 3d flying and have been practicing on my simulator a ton, but can't figure out how to hover. I couldn't really find any tutorials that gave any good tips. Does anyone on the forums(It seems that 3d isn't as common here) that can help me out?
Thanks!

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
So here's the story. I reeeeaaalllyyy want to get into 3d flying and have been practicing on my simulator a ton, but can't figure out how to hover. I couldn't really find any tutorials that gave any good tips. Does anyone on the forums(It seems that 3d isn't as common here) that can help me out?
Thanks!

First you need one of the better simulators. Try AeroFly Professional Deluxe if you want. Then use a plane made for 3D. In the sim I recommended, use the Giles202TOC model - i find that one easiest to hover. Another nice one for harriers is the cap232 - the yellow one, says "brietling" on it.

Then take off away from you, pull full back till you are in a vertical position, then reduce throttle to where the plane stops climbing. Sometimes it helps to use the throttle in quick bursts.

Then next step is to keep it in a hover. Use rudder and elevator to keep it pointing up. Use aileron to keep the top of the plane facing you, until you learn the hover and can go on with the torque roll.

Don't mind landing the plane - on the sim, just try try try try try. Trying eventually gets you there.

Most important thing? The right plane.

This is the Giles202 TOC:

hover.jpg

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Phoenix has 3D training, including hovering. But basically hovering (for more than a couple of seconds) is hard to master. Learn other 3D manouvers first and keep at trying to hover.

A really good plane that even I can do 3D stuff on is the Hobbyking EPP Pitts with motor. The EPP gives me confidence to try stuff and not worry about crashing.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
You are going to need to have a light weight plane with a high power to weight ratio. You also need to have a plane with large control surfaces and large throws. A rearward CG makes hovering easier but messes up the rest of your maneuvers. The right plane makes a huge difference. Caps, Edges, Extras, SBachs, Yaks, all great planes and most all have a version in all simulators.

It's easier if you start flying fairly slowly. Work into a high alpha by slowing the throttle and pulling back on the elevator keeping the nose high and being diligent on the ailerons to keep flying level. As you slow down, the plane is going to experience more torque roll so you'll have to keep adjusting your ailerons all the time. As you slow down you are also going to have less air moving across the ailerons so your throws will get larger as you slow down. The tail still has quite a bit of air from the prop so it's not as much trouble. Work on getting into high alpha and once you master flying around in high alpha, transitioning to hover is just pulling up more. Maintaining hover is difficult to learn. It's easier to hover lower because you have better visibility of the plane but you don't have any room for error. You are going to have a constant aileron input to keep from spinning. This is where less is more. If you are banging on the sticks it's going to jerk all over and be very difficult to maintain position. Small smooth inputs are key here. As with anything else, practice practice practice. Visualize your movements without flying and what you're going to do when in hover. If it goes wrong, how are you going to react. If it comes back over on you pulling back will plow it right into the ground. You need to be ready to nose back over into level flight.

Here's some hovering video in the gym with my galaxy, might help. It's the maiden flight video but there's some hovering in there.

Carbon

Elemental Madness
I have the pheonixRC simulator. I think as my first 3D plane I am going with the Sbach from Twisted hobbies.
thanks for the help guys. Good info Colorex and thanks for the video AK. Lobster; I think that I'm going with your idea. I'll learn some other stuff first. Where can I get a list of maneuvers?

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor

glydr

How many letters do we ge
Seriously, my 3D flying came along in leaps and bounds when I got a proper indoor 3d model (Breeze Pro). Problem is the thing was so big that it took up too much room and I sold it!

Carbon

Elemental Madness
here's the thing. I can hover the little indoor model on my simulator, and one other gas model, but all others I have trouble with the rest..

Bbjen

Colorex is right, you need the right plane...
In Phoenix, the edge540 is,in my opinion, the plane to use. Then to get things a step further, try the beast.

Carbon

Elemental Madness
I've had success with; e-flight 4-site (love to fly that one), mini yak, yak 30, and surprisingly, hanger 9 funtana 90

I can hold it for a while with the 4-site.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
The right plane makes a huge difference. I was able to hover pretty well with my other planes but when I got the Galaxy it was almost like it was made just for hovering.

Carbon

Elemental Madness
thats the way the 4-site feels! Yup, I think I'm going with the Crack Yak from twisted hobbies. I hear it is a great plane to start with.