Gyro on a Plane

JoeyG

I have a gyro (not used it yet) and also use the DX8, I believe its no harder then plugging the gyro in the RX say AUX2 then toggle that switch on your Tx.... I could be wrong.. I'm looking at putting my gyro on my RooJet (skyfun) to counter act torque roll on fast hand launches.

J.

I have a gyro (not used it yet) and also use the DX8, I believe its no harder then plugging the gyro in the RX say AUX2 then toggle that switch on your Tx.... I could be wrong.. I'm looking at putting my gyro on my RooJet (skyfun) to counter act torque roll on fast hand launches.

J.

It's a little tougher than that. Google mycoolrc and there is a great tutorial. I have one on m6 Art Tech Pitts and just put one on a Hangar 9 Sopwith that I bought used. It works wonderful. I am willing to bet that it becomes commonplace to have gyros, even three axis gyros on everything we fly in a few years.
Jay

SkySlayer

ARC=Almost Ready to Crash
THIS IS IMPORTANT
WHAT EVER YOU DO,DO NOT USE GYRO's ON PLANES!
They make you an inexperienced pilot and make it harder for you to learn properly so DO NOT PUT GYRO's ON PLANES

fred0000

hmmm, this video proves that it works. they even state that its basicly cheating and eventualy you would want to remove it, but it is a great learning tool.

just an FYI, no ones going to like you if you go around acting like everyone is wrong but you. so far thats what we're getting from you. go ahead and share your opinions but to go and tell people they are wrong and insist on things you believe is NOT the point of a forum.

good luck.

(saying that you don't think gyro's on planes is a good idea with a few supporting facts would have been MUCH better)

Last edited:

PaulT

Mentor
I have a hk 401 gyro hooked into my ailerons of my Bixler to counteract for gusty winds.
Steadies my video a great deal. I even have it linked to my gear switch on my DX6i so I can lock and unlock at will.
It works great and it hasn't made me a worse pilot. IMHO.
I would think that it should work just as easy on a DX8.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Quote: DO NOT PUT GYRO's ON PLANES

Nonsense! Do whatever you want to make the hobby enjoyable to you!

Thurmond

Klonas

Gyros are a great way to stabilize prototype RC planes because they don't always fly very well...

PaulT

Mentor
I forgot to mention a couple things. I use the gear travel adjustment on the DX6i to adjust the gain. Not sure exactly how this works but it does. I don't see why it would differently on the DX8.
Also, I remember when I was 14 and was an expert on everything too..again not sure how that works...

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
THIS IS IMPORTANT
WHAT EVER YOU DO,DO NOT USE GYRO's ON PLANES!
They make you an inexperienced pilot and make it harder for you to learn properly so DO NOT PUT GYRO's ON PLANES

Seriously? Have you seen what they do? If you couldn't fly without one, you aren't going to be able to fly with one.

Horizon beat us to the punch anyway. You might have seen the UMX series with the AS3X flight system. It's a 3 axis gyro that tames the plane and makes it flyable for people who otherwise couldn't. It takes a GeeBee which is known to be a dangerous plane in real life that killed most of the people who tried to fly it, and makes it into a plane that's fun for most anyone to fly.

What about helicopters? Real helicopters don't have gyros, does that mean I should take them off all my helis so they're nearly impossible to fly?

Who says you have to be a great pilot to have fun? If you don't want to use a gyro then don't, but if you enjoy the experience more by using it then so what? That's like saying you can only fly warbirds, or only gliders. Or only nitro fuel models are worthy. This is the exact same attitude that we're trying to prevent.

oagh

well I have had a GYRO on my tail , its ok , but its not .
I spent all day 7 or 9 flights trying it out .
Off it whent .The tail did hold :) and not let go ,lol
I was fighting half the time ,Thean I loved it .
I gave up on it ......:)

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
The firmware is constantly improving and I think it is worth it for the cost of a KK board. I sure couldn't fly in 15 to 20 mph winds before adding it to my plane. Unfortunately the wind lately has been 30 to 55 mph and I am not even going to try it at that speed.

Thurmond