Gyro on a Plane

PaulT

Mentor
After seeing this, I ordered two and can't wait to install them to steady the camera a bit better.
Let you all know how it goes.

Attachments

• 20151212_222029.jpg
    20151212_222029.jpg
    604.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1774.jpg
    IMG_1774.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1773.jpg
    IMG_1773.jpg
    278 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1775.jpg
    IMG_1775.jpg
    262.1 KB · Views: 22

labcopilot

Ordered HK gyro after seeing this video and plan to put in my fms p-51. Can't wait for straight take-offs and landings.

Trumpy

I run a Pg-02 gyro on the ailerons of my Techone Sukhoi profile 3d , It was very prone to buffeting and rocking in all but the gentlest of breezes . The difference is night and day , rock solid performance , and it frees you up a little to try a few more moves , without the worry of constant correction due to gusting . Maybe my thumbs are just getting lazy :p

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
Firstly it depends on which axis you want the gyro to act!

I would recommend you to place the gyro on the CG because any change of direction during flight will be compensated by the gyro and the CG is the point that will give you the reaction of the gyro you need.
It does not matter of it is inside the fuselage or outside but near the CG is the point to start with.

Then you place the gyro correctly according to the axis you want the gyro to act on.

Got it?

Gyroscope

Hey All,
I've recently brought a Bixler from hobbyking and the HK Gyros. I've got a Spektrum DX8 tx and i'm having a bit of trouble setting these up... I know it can be done because Josh uses a DX8 Too :D Are there any video tutorials on how to setup these gyros properly with a DX8 (it seems setup with a DX8 is different to other spektrum tx's). Thanks in advanced.

Luke.

I'll also add that the TX is in Aeroplane mode (Obviously lol) So the Gyro menu option doesn't pop up :(

Last edited:

ananas1301

I have actually no clue about how to exactly set this up, because I only a have a DX6i but I just wanted to ask you two questions:

1. How long have you been flying for? If you´re a complete newbee at RC I would recommend not using a gyro, because you might loose the feel for the plane.
2. How pleased are you with the DX8? I am thinking of what to get in the future as I can see I am running out of model saves with the DX6i (no I don´t have 10 planes but I share the tx with my little brother.)

Pilot Scott

FLY LOW
You don't have to set up the gyros on the DX8 or any other transmitter for that matter. The com lead(s) will connect to a switchable channel on the receiver (one gyro, use gear - two gyros, use gear and aux 1), the other lead will be the link between the servo(s) and the channel being controlled. The ability to switch these with the transmitter will allow you to transition between heading hold and rate mode. The gains will still be set on the gyro.
Hey All,
I've recently brought a Bixler from hobbyking and the HK Gyros. I've got a Spektrum DX8 tx and i'm having a bit of trouble setting these up... I know it can be done because Josh uses a DX8 Too :D Are there any video tutorials on how to setup these gyros properly with a DX8 (it seems setup with a DX8 is different to other spektrum tx's). Thanks in advanced.

Luke.

I'll also add that the TX is in Aeroplane mode (Obviously lol) So the Gyro menu option doesn't pop up :(

PaulT

Mentor
Bingo. What Scott posted.
I use my gear switch to lock and unlock and adjust
the throws and gain at the gyro.

Gyroscope

Thanks Pilot Scott, much appreciated :)

Sorry for the newbie question! You'll have to forgive my ignorance because I'm going to ask another one :) The two dials I can see on my gyro are 'Delay' and 'Limit'. I'm assuming that 'Limit' effects the maximum throws the control surface can have and 'Delay' maybe controls the reaction time of the gyro to external forces? How exactly do I change the gain of my gyro at the gyro? if that makes sense :) Thanks again in advanced.

Hey Ananas,

I'd say I was probably more on the beginner side of intermediate at flying RC. I've picked it up rather quickly though (flying real planes helps! :D). I won't be using the gyro to make the plane easier to fly, I just bought a Go-Pro and want to smooth out the flight a little bit.

I love my DX8, it's pretty awesome, heaps of model memory, great features! Buying extra Rx's for it is a bit expensive if you want to get Spektrum ones but I've found the Orange Rx from HK works well anyway... I was tossing up between an Aurora 9 and the DX8 and a lot of my mates had the DX8 so I went with that one. The only thing i'm having trouble with is trying to set-up the Gyro's lol hence the the reply in this thread :) Hope that helps

Cheers, Luke.

Last edited:

ananas1301

Thanks Pilot Scott, much appreciated :)

Sorry for the newbie question! You'll have to forgive my ignorance because I'm going to ask another one :) The two dials I can see on my gyro are 'Delay' and 'Limit'. I'm assuming that 'Limit' effects the maximum throws the control surface can have and 'Delay' maybe controls the reaction time of the gyro to external forces? How exactly do I change the gain of my gyro at the gyro? if that makes sense :) Thanks again in advanced.

Hey Ananas,

I'd say I was probably more on the beginner side of intermediate at flying RC. I've picked it up rather quickly though (flying real planes helps! :D). I won't be using the gyro to make the plane easier to fly, I just bought a Go-Pro and want to smooth out the flight a little bit.

I love my DX8, it's pretty awesome, heaps of model memory, great features! Buying extra Rx's for it is a bit expensive if you want to get Spektrum ones but I've found the Orange Rx from HK works well anyway... I was tossing up between an Aurora 9 and the DX8 and a lot of my mates had the DX8 so I went with that one. The only thing i'm having trouble with is trying to set-up the Gyro's lol hence the the reply in this thread :) Hope that helps

Cheers, Luke.

Cool, I am still deciding which radio to goot in the future but I think it won´t be a DX8. I´ll rather go for a Futaba T8FG or a Aurora 9 I think. Not sure about that yet. But thanks for your nice decription! OF course no one can reach the design of the Spektrum radios, which is just awesome.

bmsweb

Site Moderator
I've actually been thinking of putting Gyros on the Bixler to see how well it stabilizes the plane for videoing. Would be interested to see the results you get.

flying_student

Hi there,

In the review video Josh shows three modes of working with this headlock gyro: gyro-mode, headlock mode and off(no gyro).
I have successfully configured the gyro and even with the gain (which in 401B from HK can be controlled only from the TX, but I can't shut it off from the TX. I'm in airplane mode (not in heli, of course) and there is no gyro menu... my fear is that during flight I will find out that (for example) the limit was set too high or the delay is too god knows what... if I can disable it during flight from the TX then its all fine!.

Help anyone?
DX7 owner, Shachar
THANKS!!!

RCLEE

Will this work on a plane with elevons? Or do the channels need to be separate for the gyro to work. I want to put it on the ailerons of a flying wing.
Cheers Lee

flying_student

resolution for airplanes. ENJOY

Hi there,

In the review video Josh shows three modes of working with this headlock gyro: gyro-mode, headlock mode and off(no gyro).
I have successfully configured the gyro and even with the gain (which in 401B from HK can be controlled only from the TX, but I can't shut it off from the TX. I'm in airplane mode (not in heli, of course) and there is no gyro menu... my fear is that during flight I will find out that (for example) the limit was set too high or the delay is too god knows what... if I can disable it during flight from the TX then its all fine!.

Help anyone?
DX7 owner, Shachar
THANKS!!!

I have found a way how to do it! (I'm using DX7, so I apologize if you cannot use this for your own tx) currently I have connected the signal cable to the gear com on the rx (perhaps plugging to the aux is better - to preserve this channel to true gear need...).
There are 3 menus on DX7 that I have configured:
1. channel reversing: gear set to reverse.
2. Travel adjust (I think in other tx it called "end points"): under gear, the 1st value is set to "+5" and the 2nd value is "-5". This setting actually disables the gear switch function, but I did it only because I want 3 different outputs... (so I need to turn the control to the flap switch)
2. go to mix (can be MIX1, there are 6 in DX7) and do the next setting (i.e. your screen should look like that):
flap->gear ON
rate = +40% (this value is only an example, it can be any other number - because this is the GAIN when in normal gyro mode!!!)
+40% (this value is only an example, it can be any other number - because this is the GAIN when in headlock mode!!!)
SW=mix
offset=0
--------------------------
now the flap switch (3 mode switch) is in charge:
Flap on N (bottom)= gyro mode
Flap on 1 (middle)= gyro disabled
Flap on 2(up)= headlock mode

ENJOY!!!
Shachar, IL

Last edited:
DX6i

As mentioned above the gyro doesn't show up in airplane mode. This gyro from hobby king is only gain adjustable from the transmitter. Anyone know how to get around this and lower the gain from 100% with the Dx6i radio? I am trying this out on a Pitts from Hobby King(Art Tech) and it makes the tail wag like a fish swimming. I was able to bind to it in heli mode and cut the gain down to 60% and it seemed less sensitive when handled. Just can't fly in Heli mode for obvious reasons.

Thanks,

Jay