Gyro stabilized pan/tilt camera mount?

ipetepete

Not sure if this is the best topic for this question, but seems appropriate. (Mounted on a multi-rotor, a tri-copter in my case)

Does anybody have any experience with a gyro stabilized pan/tilt camera system?

• If so, was it a pain to set up?
  • Are you happy with the results?
  • Can you share any resources for how people are putting them together without spending an arm and a leg on a pre-made mount assembly?

I'm getting into the whole aerial videography (not really FPV) and this seems like it would be ideal for taking steady moving shots, it may not be needed, as I've seen some really great footage taken with stationary cameras.

I just wanted to get a feel for what others have done, and opinions.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Yes. I realize most FPV-ers won't be using something like that...or do they/you?

It's in a way the same as a pan and tilt system, but with a stabilizer. Gimbals aren't only the undercarriage with two servos, it's also a controller board with accelerometers to counteract the copters tilt. These systems are usually very expensive.

Flying preferences depend greatly on the budget. If I ever start the Aerial Photography business that I dream of, I would use a quad or hexacopter with a motorized gimbal to point the camera in the wanted direction - while the quad is in GPS position/altitude hold.

For moving shots, you could have one person operating the gimbal and camera controls on a separate transmitter while you fly the desired path.

For flying just FPV, I think a gimbal system is too much weight, and if you don't have an OSD, it will make it impossible to visualize your roll and pitch.

UndCon

UndCon
I have a gimbal on my Quad if I will record movies or take stills to keep the camera more or less in the same position (but controllable by radio)

When I fly FPV I do not use a gimbal as i think it is important to know the tilt/lean on the vessel.

I use no auto gimbal on my planes but a gimbal that is connected to rudder/elevator with Y harness.
This gives the impression "look where you go"

On my Bixler i have Arduplane (APM1/Oilpan) and this has support for Gimbal (roll/tilt or pan/tilt) but I choose not to use it.

A fairly cheap gimbal system is MultiWii - has support for many vessels and modes including gimbal only

//UndCon

Last edited:

ipetepete

I have a gimbal on my Quad if I will record movies or take stills to keep the camera more or less in the same position (but controllable by radio)

When I fly FPV I do not use a gimbal as i think it is important to know the tilt/lean on the vessel.

I use no auto gimbal on my planes but a gimbal that is connected to rudder/elevator with Y harness.
This gives the impression "look where you go"

On my Bixler i have Arduplane (APM1/Oilpan) and this has support for Gimbal (roll/tilt or pan/tilt) but I choose not to use it.

A fairly cheap gimbal system is MultiWii - has support for many vessels and modes including gimbal only

//UndCon

Thanks for the info. Sounds like a gimbal is the way to go. Problem now is the cost, I'll start experimenting building my own. I do like the mutliWii option to self level, so I might experiment with that. I might try a simple 2-axis setup sort of like a steady cam rig (but without all the counter weight). I was hoping somebody had a cheap DIY setup I could glean some ideas from.

Again, thanks for the info.