Gyro?

Hi. I've got a Bix3, and I'm interested in finding out if I should get a gyro for stabilization.

I'm still learning to use the Bix, and I might use it for FPV sometime. So what I'm wondering is, would a gyro help, and which one should I get?

Thanks!
Nikolai.

(EDIT: typo)

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Mayyyyybe.

A stabilized RX or gyro setup might help make the plane more stable, but if you set it up wrong or backwards, it could make the plane uncontrollable. If you're using it to help make up for your inexperience, unless you have an experienced pilot or builder, for this reason I'd strongly advise against it. Even if you do, the Bixler is a very friendly airframe. The best way to fix inexperience is with experiences -- go fly more!

If you just want the added stability for FPV, and you feel you have good control over the airframe, the stabilizer will smooth out some bumps and help hold attitude. It's probably overkill on a Bixler, but either the Orange or EagleTree stabilizer modules function well with little adjustment. Just make sure you connect the servos/RX EXACTLY as the instructions direct, the board is mounted in the correct orientation and you test all the axis on the ground (surfaces will lean into the motion to resist the change, not lag behind the motion).

Mayyyyybe.

A stabilized RX or gyro setup might help make the plane more stable, but if you set it up wrong or backwards, it could make the plane uncontrollable. If you're using it to help make up for your inexperience, unless you have an experienced pilot or builder, for this reason I'd strongly advise against it. Even if you do, the Bixler is a very friendly airframe. The best way to fix inexperience is with experiences -- go fly more!

If you just want the added stability for FPV, and you feel you have good control over the airframe, the stabilizer will smooth out some bumps and help hold attitude. It's probably overkill on a Bixler, but either the Orange or EagleTree stabilizer modules function well with little adjustment. Just make sure you connect the servos/RX EXACTLY as the instructions direct, the board is mounted in the correct orientation and you test all the axis on the ground (surfaces will lean into the motion to resist the change, not lag behind the motion).

Hey Craftydan, thanks for the answer!
I've decided to buy a simple one for later use, maybe OrangeRX. It's just so I can pay less in shipping, because I'm already investing in some other stuff from HobbyKing :)

HawkMan

Just remember when you set it up to start with the gains very low, so much so that you can barely see movement when you move it around on the ground. that'll probably be all you want. or you'll end up with a crazy unflyable plane that oscillates in every direction. if it's not enough, you can tune them up later, but low gains won't screw you over, to high though....