gyros on planes?

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
Has anyone ever played with them on their scratchbuilds? Like say on a delta, or the bloody wonder. I was wondering if it would be worth playing with. The other problem i have is how would you set one up if you were using elevons or would I have to go to a bank and yank with elevators and ailerons?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
CR,

Haven't played with it, but this one advertises it can run delta or vtail mixing out of the box. you'd set up your radio to normal mode(unmixed), plug the rx into the stabilizer then the output channles to the servos with the switches selecting aero-delta. you'll have to check the manual for which output to which wing.

alternatively:
- any gyro stabilizer w/ an aero mode (or single axis stablizer), followed by a delta mixer module should work.
- check the kk firmwares -- they may have an aero-delta firmware that'll meet your need with an older (cheaper) kk board.

Last edited:

CrashRecovery

Mentor
im just playing with the idea of adding it to my latest profile foamy. I'm ok flying them but i think it would help my son fly them. He really wants to fly the stuff i am but he does not get to have the stick time i get. With working shift work, I get two days off in a row. If I am not working my part time job I try to get out and fly. My boy doesn't live with me so he does not come out but once a month due to schedules.

CrashRecovery

Mentor
So if I go elevator and ailerons I mount one as close to cg as I can and for the two surfaces I want they will be mounted perpendicular to the wing? You know this could be really cool to add rudder and add a gyro for that so high alpha would be a snap!

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Sure, it's for your boy ;)

When you're done playing with it, you could also swap it to the Al channel, twist it 90 degrees and then let him fly a Y&B or 4 ch w/ self leveling wings. Would need a bracket (or good velcro) near the CoM, to firmly swap the axis at will. Wouldn't want to turn/pitch the plane and have the Ailerons "self correct".

OutcastZeroOne

Fly, yes... Land, no
Im running the Orange RX gyro reciver on my pusher canard planes. Fixed canrads with elevon control so same basic control set up as a delta. It works great. The trick is getting the gyro dialed in just right. but it helps so much. I can easily fly my little 200gram 26" planes in 15mph wind gusts with no issues (other than pilot error).

video of one of my planes in about 12mph wind gusts. I lose one of the tails durring the last flight, but the gyro help keep it stable.

Last edited: