H-Quad Fall Sunset

skeplin

I'm still tuning my H-quad but managed to get some good footage with a Creative Vado 720p camera mounted to the front. Any idea what causes the oscillation problem that happens at about 1:30?

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Cyber hit it on the head. Descent through your own wash makes for really bad juju. Try descending on more of an angle and see if that is better.

skeplin

I had the same thing tonight which resulted in a crash that broke my boom. I was descending at an angle when it started. I'm using a KK2 and I had the "auto-level" turned off. It oscillated so bad that it was almost completely sideways. I couldn't control it at that point.

Any tips for what to do when that starts?

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
When you first power up, look at the screen. Since you are asking, I'm betting it's version 1.2 which has a horrid autolevel. Check first and get back to us. Then we can tell you that you'll need to get an USBasp AVR programmer to update the firmware.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Here's a video. You can also search for "flashing firmware KK2" and get a ton of other hits.

skeplin

Updated firmware to 1.6 and the auto-level mode looks great. If I give too much aileron input though, I still get the oscillation problem -- similar to what this guy is seeing:

I'm going to try the ESC calibration to see if that fixes it. Someone else mentioned setting height dampening to zero though I'm not sure exactly what that setting does.

skeplin

Problem solved! ESC calibration appears to have fixed it. It flew great today and I'm impressed with the autolevel mode (I actually prefer to fly with it turned on.)

Now on to bigger projects...

btw: KK2 board is mounted inside the foam box it came in with bolts down into the frame.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Sounds like it was the ESC's this time. I have seen/heard of the mounting causing issues, so keep it in mind if problems surface and seem to be coming from nowhere.