H-Quad Scratch Build

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
There are a number of ways to mount the board, based on what you have on hand. Usually the foam is adhesive on both sides like this stuff:http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...oam_double_sided_tape_10x5inch_4mm_thick.html
You can also use screws, zip ties, velcro, or even combinations of these for mounting. Just make sure you try to isolate the board from vibrations but that it's not coming loose during flight.
One of our members runs a zip tie down through holes in the board and through holes drilled in the foam and frame and uses the head off an extra tie to secure

c0p0ut

One of our members runs a zip tie down through holes in the board and through holes drilled in the foam and frame and uses the head off an extra tie to secure

That is a great idea. I will probably try that. Thanks for the quick reply!

c0p0ut

I am using the HobbyKing Multi-Rotor Control Board V2.1 (Atmega168PA). I flashed the firmware for the Xcopter configuration (I believe that is the one I am using). I am using a Turnigy 9x (er9x firmware) transmitter with default settings for all 4 channels at 100.

I am having a problem with the right rear motor spinning well before any of the other motors. I have tried different configurations with the 3 pots (roll, pitch, and yaw) on the control board at variables of 0, 50, and 100 to see how different configurations affect the point on the throttle at which each motor starts up. With the throttle all the way down, my transmitter identifies this position as -100. Exact center on the throttle is 0 and anything above this increases up to 100. So, the range of my throttle is -100 to 100.

With that said, I made a graph showing the different configurations and results:
H-Quad Pot and Throttle Variables.JPG

Can anyone tell me how I can get the motors to all start up together and spin at the same rate when level? Is there a specific setting on the pots that I am missing? Is there something I need to do with the trim, and how? Is there a programming setting I may have missed on the control board?

I would really like to get this thing flying.
2014-05-15 11.17.18.jpg

Mudgutts

hi. i just read in the manual that you have to set "ESC Throttle Range". Section 4. did you do that for each ESC separately or all 4 together? if you did them separately, you may have ended up with one not quite set the same.

c0p0ut

hi. i just read in the manual that you have to set "ESC Throttle Range". Section 4. did you do that for each ESC separately or all 4 together? if you did them separately, you may have ended up with one not quite set the same.

Oh My Gosh! Thank you SO much! I had no idea what the beeps meant and as a guy, refused (or in my case, overlooked) to look at the instruction sheet that came with the ESCs. I now read through those instructions and reset the ESC to default, then was able to set my throttle range, and now as far as I can tell, this is working like it should. I'm going to run a few more tests and mess with the pot ranges a little now to see what other adjustments will do before I put the blades on. I definitely think, well "know", that this was the help I needed.

You are so awesome! Thank you , thank you, thank you!

Ill try to get a video up when this goes airborne to show where your input got me. I'm thrilled!

Hi everyone,
I just finished mine up. Decided to take it up a notch and add a servo gimbal to the frame. It works really well and is controlled directly from the KK2.

I need some help with my tuning. Can't get it to fly smoothly enough for my aerial video needs. It still has some oscillation and I am wondering what values you guys are using on the KK2. Could you guys post your P&I gains and limits?

Some pictures:
IMG_20140504_073033290_zps9dedd777.jpg
IMG_20140504_073050524_zps916fe3a0.jpg

Can anyone please post their settings for the kk2.1? I had it working great on my version of davids tricopter but now on this h quad it is very unstable. The auto level changes altitude by 10 to 15 feet in each direction and the h quad is very unstable I have tried to tune it by turning up the p gain un u on it oscillates on its own but I went all the way to 600 and no oscillations just very twitchy when I try to fly. Any hel would be appreciated.

I've got the same story. Successfully tuned a batbone, but cannot seem to dial this rig in. Beginning to think that my instability has everything to do with frame rigidity.

Honestly this frame seems to be a really bad design. It takes very little to force to flex the frame. Mine will flex just by lifting it up. The more I beef it up, the more stable it becomes.

May ditch my first frame and go with thicker wood material, and space the motors closer together. We will see.

L60mcm

Hi I am very keen to build this H quad but could someone please take a quick look at my potential order list and see if there is anything you would not get. (What about the motor and Esc )

Thanks

1x #9171000268/39791 Hobbyking KK2.1HC Multi-Rotor Hard Case Flight Control Board With Remote Programmer = 34.99
2x #T3300.3S.30/9500 Turnigy 3300mAh 3S 30C Lipo Pack = 51.52
2x #9329000033/22453 Slow Fly Electric Prop 11x4.7R SF (4 pc - Green Right Hand Rotation) = 8.28
2x #9329000127/25312 11x4.7 SF Props 4pc Standard Rotation (White) = 8.28
4x #NTM2826S-1000/25082 NTM Prop Drive 28-26 1000KV / 235W (short shaft version) = 63.96
4x #NTM28-ACC/16719 NTM Prop Drive 28 Series Accessory Pack = 7.4
4x #9192000131-0/43709 Afro ESC 20Amp Multi-rotor Motor Speed Controller (SimonK Firmware)

Imperativ

Correct mounting direction

hello there!

I'm in the middle of my first multicopter scatch build and generally fairly new to the whole RC-Hobby.

I have a question, conserning the direction of mounting of the KK 2.1.5 board:

-In the fabulouse scratch build video, Josh is mounting the KK2 board diagonal to the main frame...for X-Configuration, as he says...

-but then I saw a couple of other h-quad scatch builds with the KK2.1.5 board, and these guys are mounting their boards parallel to the main frame, so each corner of the board is facing towards one prob...

I got the up-to-date KK2 board from Hobbyking, with the nice display and the 4 buttons on the bottom, AND THE ARROW TO THE TOP. (I actually don't recognize the KK2 board Josh is using...mine just looks different...).

So, whats right'? Should I do, as Josh says, and point the arrow towards the front of the copter (parallel), or should I do, as he is doing, and mount the HK KK2 board diagonal to the frame?

I did indeed some reading in this thread, but it seems I'm not searching for the right keywords.
Any help or link to an answer is highly appreciated.

Thanks a lot and
byebye

Imp

Mudgutts

Josh was using the KK2.1 board. it was built with one corner as the forward "edge", where as the KK2.1.5 has one edge as the forward edge. (the KK2.1.5 has one big white arrow, the KK2.1 has 2 big arrows. the new mini is the same as the 2.1.5)

follow the mounting instructions as per the sheet you should receive with the KK version you buy. if you don't get it, download it from the hobby king website.

Have fun. :)

Team_Monkey

Here's blast from the past. I'm on my second H-quad. The first was built a couple years ago and about 80% size due to materials on hand. It flew fine but I was learning and busting arms. Then I moved the equipment to an HK F330 frame. The poly frame did survive a bunch of knocks as I got better. It was twitchy, aerobatic and fun but I missed the stable H-quad.

So, I built a stock size H-quad using all poplar for the stick material, no balsa. The landing gear legs are from HK.
The motors are 1300kV, 24g HK, props are 9x4.7 Gemfan, ESCs are 10A Plush. It can fly on 3S but I prefer to run 2S. It's light and fairly quiet in hover. Amp draw is metered at about 10.5A at hover throttle setting. AUW with a 1600mAH 2S is 22.5oz, about 624g.

You can see I'm still flying on the old V2.1 HK board. I re-flashed it back to the "regular" kk4.7 mix. I know we all love power and this won't be as fast as some quads, but it is super efficient and fairly speedy in it's own right.

Last edited: