H-Quad Scratch Build

uavpilotjoe

Update on my build of the H-Quad....
photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG

Maximum

Can anyone recommend different props for the recommended setup, because the recommended props are on backorder. Please post links if possible! Thank you!

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Did you get your APM2 sans GPS module or did you remote it afterward? I have two APM2's so far and LOVE it on my DJI Clone quad. I have the new telemetry radios as well rather than the xbee radio.
Do I also see the new APM2 case in your pic?

Thurmond

uavpilotjoe

I have the new APM 2 case on order as well as the new 3dr 915 MHz modems. I hope to get them next week. I have been haveing so many ossues with the xbees burning up on me it crazy.
I have not seen it perform on a quad yet this is my first. I have experience with the APM 1 on fixed wing. Works great for that. I hope it works as well in a quad.
And also yes it will have gps waypoints, sonar for low alt. hold.
I will be testing it out this weekend. I will moving in a crawl, walk, run testing format. I will let you know how it works out.
I bought the APM 2 without the on board gps and opt. For the ext.

Flash1940

Hi guys....
I have motors, props,& ESC's on the way in from HK. Can't order batteries....not shippable here in the U.S. Also had to pay 10% duty charge on the order.....jacked the price on up there even more. I did not order a controller board yet. I'm pretty much a nooby at this quad stuff. Need to know transmitter programming & everything. Have the stuff to construct the flight platform and can at least get that much done on my own. I'm gonna need help.....
Flash

Flash1940

Question.....
Do the two green props rotate CCW and the black ones are reverse pitch and rotate CW .....?????
Flash

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Question.....
Do the two green props rotate CCW and the black ones are reverse pitch and rotate CW .....?????
Flash

No, the setup FliteTest uses has four kinds of props:

Green CW
Green CCW
Black CW
Black CCW

The two front props need to be green (any color) but they need to rotate in different directions. So the need for two kinds of green props.

The two back props are both black but also need to spin in different directions. So you need two kinds of black props.

If you want to make it cheaper, get one color only, with CCW and CW packs. And paint the booms for the visibility and orientation.

uavpilotjoe

Well I got my H-Quad in the air a few time and the Ardupilot APM 2.0 keeps it so level it crazy. In stable mode it feels like a Blade MCX. I like it. I have to do a little bit of tuning but all in all I am happy with the motor choice. Smooth and quiet. Thanks to Flite Test I was able to break into Quads at a low price and easy to build frame.
I will get a video of it flying this weekend and I will post my .parm file for the APM 2.0 once it is tuned better.

Damage

Well I Can't insert the sketchup file (CAD) so if a moderator tells me how to send it to him so he can insert it, that would be good.

WCF, awesome render, I was going to do this myself to get a better idea of the build. Could you send me a copy of it via email? send it to tom [at] damage[dot]cc

Also, Does anyone know of a good source for 1/8" light ply in the states? I checked a couple of local craft stores as well as home improvement stores and I was not able to find any.

g828

Stickman
Hi guys....
I have motors, props,& ESC's on the way in from HK. Can't order batteries....not shippable here in the U.S. Also had to pay 10% duty charge on the order.....jacked the price on up there even more. I did not order a controller board yet. I'm pretty much a nooby at this quad stuff. Need to know transmitter programming & everything. Have the stuff to construct the flight platform and can at least get that much done on my own. I'm gonna need help.....
Flash

For the batteries, did you try the HobbyKing warehouse in the United States? You should be able to get batteries from the U.S. Warehouse. Also shipping should be cheaper and faster.

Flash1940

Thanks g828.....I have ordered batteries from them before.....I had forgotten. Since they are a USA company....are we still required to pay the additional duty charge??? Have you ordered from USA Whse. lately. Are you flying an "H" quad??? Which board are you using? and how are you programming your transmitter?? Thanks for your response....
Flash

Flash1940

WCF, awesome render, I was going to do this myself to get a better idea of the build. Could you send me a copy of it via email? send it to tom [at] damage[dot]cc

Also, Does anyone know of a good source for 1/8" light ply in the states? I checked a couple of local craft stores as well as home improvement stores and I was not able to find any.

Here's where I've been obtaining my balsa and plywood http://www.nationalbalsa.com/default.asp

Flash

g828

Stickman
Thanks g828.....I have ordered batteries from them before.....I had forgotten. Since they are a USA company....are we still required to pay the additional duty charge??? Have you ordered from USA Whse. lately. Are you flying an "H" quad??? Which board are you using? and how are you programming your transmitter?? Thanks for your response....
Flash

I do not think you have to pay the duty charge.

Unfortunately, I cannot help any with programming or setting up multirotors. :( a total newbie for RC
If anyone else can hop in and help, thanks!

uavpilotjoe

I am tuning my ardupilot autopilot system. I have to tune the system for altitude hold and gps position hold. So the stabilized condition needs to keep the copter in a perfect hover in those modes. I am pretty happy so far with the results so far. I also think that one of my props is a little bit out of balance.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
uavpilotjoe, According to what I read over at the ArduCopter site and from personal experience (IMHO) your craft needs to be a few meters up to escape the ground effect from the props downward wash for best tuning. I had a lot of trouble tuning my APM2 until I started flying 10 to 20' high. It seemed to just fall into place then. Problems I thought I needed to tune out were actually ground effect. This also applies to a lesser degree (less sensors) to anyone who is trying to tune the KK2 board as well.

Thurmond

WCF

Sent