H-Quad Scratch Build

rootcanalguy

uavpilotjoe, According to what I read over at the ArduCopter site and from personal experience (IMHO) your craft needs to be a few meters up to escape the ground effect from the props downward wash for best tuning. I had a lot of trouble tuning my APM2 until I started flying 10 to 20' high. It seemed to just fall into place then. Problems I thought I needed to tune out were actually ground effect. This also applies to a lesser degree (less sensors) to anyone who is trying to tune the KK2 board as well.

Thurmond

I had a hell of a time tuning in the garage, but when I stepped out in the green: WOW ! much more stable.

uavpilotjoe

I know what your saying and that was not a specific tuning section of flight. It was a test of the sonar alt hold and it works pretty good. I need to tune everything a a higher alt and now that my 3dr radio modems are here and working I can change settings with out plugging in all the time which is great. Thanks for all the advise I appreciate the support.

capkill

Ehh, fail..

i'll try again... :)

I'm building my own h-quad from flitetest plans. It looks awsome. Waiting for parts.

I understand the motors can lift about 1kg each 1kg times 4 = 4kg, is that right...? or am i missing something.....

capkill

Frame ready for electronics :)
jpeg.jpg

Last edited:

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Ehh, fail..

i'll try again... :)

I'm building my own h-quad from flitetest plans. It looks awsome. Waiting for parts.

I understand the motors can lift about 1kg each 1kg times 4 = 4kg, is that right...? or am i missing something.....

They will have 4 kg of thrust, but will not necessarily be able to lift 4 kg. In a perfect world with perfect data, it would only be able to hold 4 kg static in the air. But that would mean full throttle and no throttle left to control the copter.

I'd say you could lift 1, maybe 2 Kg of extra load. But at higher loads they will be quite sluggish!

Flash1940

Additional parts you may need

I'm new at the quad technology.....in looking over the system, I couldn't see a way of getting the signals from the RX to the connections on the control board....which have the same gender as the RX output ports.....so you may need these or you will need to destroy a standard servo extension.
Flash

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
I'm new at the quad technology.....in looking over the system, I couldn't see a way of getting the signals from the RX to the connections on the control board....which have the same gender as the RX output ports.....so you may need these or you will need to destroy a standard servo extension.
Flash

True.

capkill

Flash

S***, forgot those. Guess i have to k*** some extensions.

Last edited:

capkill

Thanks... :)

My airframe weighs inn at 345g... it's a bit more than Johs said in the video.... is that allright...?

klaxalk

Hello guys, I am in trouble. Previously I had an HobbyKing x525 with board v2.1 and it was great! Now I have build the H-quad and installed the new KK2 board and it is terrible. So I tried the previous HK v2.1 and it's terrible too. E.g. it doesn't respond for rudder at all. When I fully turn right, it almost stops 2 motors on diagonal, and the other two are blasting, but it don't turing. It's very unstable to. I tried everything I could imagine. Please help.
IMG_20120730_112531.jpg

capkill

Is it possible you may have glued your booms to the wrong piece of plywood???
Flash

That is very possible :) i'm a complete noob. And such a poor scratch builder. But it's fun anyway. And i get to spend time in the mancave :)
But i think it is the right way. The booms are glued to the BOTTOM plywood plate, where the extra plywood sticks out for camera mounting. i hope it's right...

EDIT: Yes it's the wrong way... well back to the cave and make version 3 :(

-capkill-

capkill

I have bad eyes.... Need a way to see the orientation... So here are my crappy paint job...
Parts comming tomorrow.... h_quad use.jpg