H-Quad Scratch Build

wloebel

building...

IMG_0721p.jpg IMG_0722p.jpg

wloebel

Please keep the build log up to date!!! and what ESCs are you using? I think I may be making a trek to the HW store to get some supplies to build this today

I'll use the cheap RCTimer 30A ESCs reflashed with Rapid ESC firmware...this firmware was created to enhances the multirotors performance. Not only the RCTimer can be reflashed but also Hobbyking, Turnigy, Mistery, etc... just google "Rapid ESC" to know more about it.

I'll post new pics soon, stay tuned ;)

Last edited:

uavpilotjoe

Autonomous Build

Just started my build. Very easy to build. I am awaiting my Parts from HK.Com
I will be using
Motors:Turnigy D2836/11 750KV Brushless Outrunner
ESC: Hobbyking SS Series 35-40A ESC
Props: 11x4.7 Props
Controller: Ardupilot 2.0 IMG_1276.JPG

Last edited:

WCF

Well here is the sketchup virtual build. You can use it to make changes. I didn't put the dimensions as it's easy to get them, but they are correct from the plan. The propellers (CW or CCW) are in the same position as the video.
Motors dimensions are for DT 750 (The mount should be correct even though I didn't have one to measure)

Well I Can't insert the sketchup file (CAD) so if a moderator tells me how to send it to him so he can insert it, that would be good.

Attachments

• H Quad FT Top.jpg
    H Quad FT Top.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 381
  • H Quad FT bottom.jpg
    H Quad FT bottom.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 578

Mudgutts

I love this design for a Quad!

One question, since the KK board is configured for a Quad, but this is a "H", will it cause any problems with control?
I would guess not so long as the Board is configured for "X", not "+".....

also, Thanks for the Metric plans, but i hope rounding the measuments to whole numbers wont be too much of a problem for me...

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
One question, since the KK board is configured for a Quad, but this is a "H", will it cause any problems with control?
I would guess not so long as the Board is configured for "X", not "+".....

Think about it. In the H-quad, the motors are in the exact same positions than on an X-quad. It's just the frame that changes a bit. You can fly an H quad on + firmware, but it will be hard and it will look weird as the frame will fly at an angle.

Maximum

Thanks for the fast response!
I'm asking, because I would be able to get the four 20A ESC for a super good price compared to the internet prices.

To cool them down maybe just drill more or bigger holes in the bottom or a guy in the youtube video comments had the idea to put a small computer fan in the bottom.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
put a small computer fan in the bottom.

There are small 40mm fans, which would be perfect. You would make a hole for the fan to mounted on one side of the plate, and an outlet hole on the other side - so the air runs over the ESC's before it exits the compartment.

Chrizlle

First post first quad ;)

Not the prettiest but its my first and it flies very well !

Foto 14.07.12 18 12 59 (HDR).jpg Foto 14.07.12 18 13 26 (HDR).jpg

Thank you so much Flitetest to bring me into this part of the hobby. I was always struggeling with multirotors but your H-Copter videos gave me the kick to try it. And it worked ...

Best regards from Germany

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Welcome Chrislle! Your quad looks really nice, but I really recommend making air vents for the ESC's.

WCF

Thanks for the fast response!
I'm asking, because I would be able to get the four 20A ESC for a super good price compared to the internet prices.

To cool them down maybe just drill more or bigger holes in the bottom or a guy in the youtube video comments had the idea to put a small computer fan in the bottom.

Well since you already have 4 big fans on the vehicle, it seems weird to add another one. Maybe a bit of duct work would be useful.
Also holes at the bottom and top would vastly increase air circulation even without a fan. There is room for a few holes on top.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Re Fans for cooling. NEVER use an active power using solution on a battery powered device when a perfectly passable passive solution exist. IE for cooling on an aircraft use air scoops and/or ventilation holes in the structure. :cool:

Also using a separate switching BEC instead of the ESC BEC's for power will cause the ESC's to run MUCH cooler.

Thurmond

Maximum

Thanks for all the input! I'm going to test different methods as soon as the parts arrive.
I like the idea with a separate BEC! Going to test it! Thanks