Hammerhead - Spider Hex Build Log

HawkMan

A kit quad/hex on a 100 dollar budget would be tough, I'd say the home made one would be impossible as well, but you seemed to use a lot of existing get so not impossible.

HawkMan

Hmmm somewhat, if you ignore that UK has VAT and higher income and thus higher costs :p somewhat avoided with ordering from HK of course ;)

Still not much to build a multi rotor, but more realistic.

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
The black look to some of the booms was because of the laser burning through the material, at that point we hadn't sanded it all off.

No I mean the strip of wood that runs down the boom . . is it fully adhered to the boom along its edge, or just at the slot?

helinor

Last edited:

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Ok, sorry. Yea, this thread is confusing, since the one with the vertical support has more pics here than the original poster's.

Ocean

Hmmm somewhat, if you ignore that UK has VAT and higher income and thus higher costs :p somewhat avoided with ordering from HK of course ;)

Still not much to build a multi rotor, but more realistic.

Yeah it isn't much. Luckily I had batteries, Tx and Rx, Charger and a KK 2.1.5 available to use, so our only real cost was the motors and ESCs.

Ocean

This build might be returning. I have some spare money and this hex could be the cheapest option to build an hex which is what I ideally want.

Having re read this thread again, it seems like some reinforcement to the booms could help.

I'm thinking is sandwiching the ply booms between 2 bits of Carbon Fibre or Glassfibre, as HawkMan suggested. I'm open to any other ideas as well. Glassfibre is cheaper and easier for us to do (laser cut).

If our frame fails I will probably buy one of Twitchity's frames or a HK Thorax.

Last edited:

Ocean

Components wise I'm looking at Sunnysky X2207S 2100kv and KISS 12A. This might seem expensive but if I buy the ESCs from flyduino and motors from Banggood its the same price as buying Emax motors shipped from the UK. In addition I think I will use a Naze32 acro for the FC.

Ocean

I just had a look around at the KISS ESC thread. With all this supposed 'balls of fire' and poor QC. Is it really worth getting these ESCs? Is the performance difference substantial compared to SimonK/BlHeli>

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
The KISS are great ESC's - but there have been some QC issues resulting in solder balls being left on some of the boards that can come loose and cause shorts.

Personally I've had direct experience with 8 of them (and 2 more still in the package) and haven't had any issues. The first 4 where right after they came out and before the reports of them going up in smoke so I didn't take any precautions with them. The difference they made was similar to the difference going from a stock ESC to simonk made as far as flying impression.

The other 6 I just got recently from CranialRectosis who decided to stop using them because of how many he had go up in smoke (sometimes taking motors with them.) I put the first four on my Twitchity 250 and they again made a HUGE difference. I never got that build flying the way I wanted it to until I put the KISS on it.

That said...unless you're building a high performance multi with acrobatic abilities they're probably not worth the extra cost. They make the biggest difference on builds that need the level of performance they can deliver.

Myself? I would put them on all my multis if I could afford them. If for no other reason than because I absolutely love how quiet and smooth the run brushless motors. The first time I fired up a quad with them I thought something was wrong and the motors weren't even spinning because they were so much quieter. It's amazing how much noise from our motors comes from the ESC! The regenerative braking is great as well and makes things MUCH more responsive. Then toss in oneshot and it's just icing on top that pushes things that much further towards remarkable.

Best advise is buy spares and inspect them carefully under magnification for any stray solder balls and even then a good cleaning with alcohol and a clean toothbrush isn't a bad idea. They are also small which makes them somewhat tricky to solder to which can also lead to issues.

Ocean

Thanks for the info jhitsema.

I think I will get them then, and carefully check them over and clean with some alcohol. The price isn't bad for me, since a 12A Emax is £10 compared to £12 for a KISS.

Going from Turnigy Plush to BLHeli blew my mind, the performance difference was substantial, hopefully the regen breaking and oneshot can do it again.

I think I'm set on the Sunnysky X2207S 2100kv w/ 5 inch props. Warm up on 3s and then racing on 4s. Will probably use Gemfan 5030 to start and then move to HQ5040, if I feel I need the speed

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Wow, Usually the emax are more like $7-$10 USD (£4.6-£7.5) - but while I have them on my emax 250 fpv and am not unhappy with them I don't see myself buying anymore of them. The FETS on them are slow so they can't do damped light (regen) with blheli even though they come with blehli on them from the factory.

Don't forget the KISS don't have BEC's so you'll have to plan on a different way to power your FC/RX like a pololu or a standalone BEC (the pololu regulators are tiny which makes them a popular option.)

The switch from simonk/blheli to kiss is substantial and very noticeable. The change enabling oneshot is more subtle and mainly shows in being able to increase your PID's to get an even snappier response.

Ocean

I have a 5v BEC lying around so I might as well just use that. Yep the usual conversion rate for RC Products in the UK seems to be $1=£1. Just ordered KISS Escs and Sunnysky X2207S 2100kv. Hopefully their higher W (350W) will be able to hand 4s on a 5x4 prop.

Ocean

My Sunnysky 2207 and KISS 12A have arrived. I think they will pull around 16A with a 5040 prop on 4s, but buying new 18a KISS is simply too expensive for me, so I hope these 12A will be able to cope.

I was offered a 3d printed frame, that vitally had the 10 degree angled arms I was looking for. It is 100g less than my original frame, and is more aerodynamic so hopefully will see a large improvement in speed. I'm only waiting for a Naze32, some 20 Awg wire and the frame then I will start assembly. http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:607681