HAM's of Flitetest...Say Hello!!!

cgetman02

Really nice station there!

Say Hi to me on MidCars , 68 group 7.268MHz 2 to 4 pm central, 3.943MHz mornings or call me late night 160 Meters on 1.880MHz. If not there leave a message with one of the guys.
Thanks!!!

73 :)
Jimmy, ARRL TS, WX9DX

I'm not on the air currently but in a few years, after retirement, look out! HF gear and guns, should never sell either. Sold my TS-440at years ago and have regretted it ever since.

Curt N9GUJ

eeflyer

Ham radio and RC - it's a perfect match

Just want to say hi. I'm a ham (AC9FM) and plan on getting a plane soon.
I have a simulator and have been having fun crashing planes.
I hope to catch some of you on the air and chat about RC flying.

Ernie

VastGolem

NEWBIE HERE NEWBIE THERE OPE IM A NEWBIE TOO

probably a stupid question but any controller will work with a 900 MHz radio as long as there is a receiver right, and also what are the pros and cons to flying with.........ummmmm.............lower frequencies right? Also I looked into my technician license, looks pretty easy 3min. test and 14$ I believe, even found a group of, oh what were they called, Volunteer Examiners I think, right here in my local town of only 30000 people.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
30,000 people.......WE call that a CITY around here.:p

Nearest town to me is less than 900 people.

If you want to fly long range then 433MHz is what is most popular for aircraft control. 900MHz can experience issues from some cellular services in certain areas.

Thurmond

dlabrie

Hi All.
I got my general license back around 1980. I have kept up my certification but am no longer active. I am glad I hung on to my certification now that I am thinking about trying FPV :)

David, KA1JNK

BigDaddy0004

Hey everyone! Greg KC9PFX here. General license since 2010. Love playing around on HF digital modes, especially Olivia, JT65 and JT9.
New to RC with a RTF Delta Ray and a ElectroHub quadcopter build in progress. Shopping around for a new transmitter and having a great time! 73 de Greg KC9PFX.

electraman2

Village Elder
Hello,
KF7YVK here in Renton, Washington. I am an active HAM from time to time on the local 2 meter repeaters (PSRG Queen Anne hill or Cougar Mountain, Tiger Mountain K7LED). It took me 30 years to come full circle in the RC hobby. I need to retire so I can have time for all of my hobbies. My interests are in FPV videotography of my other hobbies and vacations traveling the world. I would like to thank the YOUTUBE RC community for the inspiration.

themistocles3

KD8NTJ here, not very activeg. Listen mostly.

I've had tech for 5yrs now? Never really been able to get involved. Nets always seemed intimidating and formal and my little vx7 only reaches so far. Moved to the country and listen mostly now. Would love to be able to use the license to its full potential. RC seemed like the most likely route.

Last edited:

Tritium

Guys, I have received a request for assistance from a member in the form of answering questions not clear to those studying for their Amateur Radio Technician Test. Many of us are capable of "Elmering" those who do not yet have a license so I will create a thread just for that purpose alone and ask FlyingMonkey or CraftyDan to Sticky it. This way all will have the thread for a reference.

This is the Thread link:
http://forum.flitetest.com/showthre...se-quot-ELMER-quot-Thread&p=175537#post175537

Thurmond

Last edited:

bitogre

Guys, I have received a request for assistance from a member in the form of answering questions not clear to those studying for their Amateur Radio Technician Test. Many of us are capable of "Elmering" those who do not yet have a license so I will create a thread just for that purpose alone and ask FlyingMonkey or CraftyDan to Sticky it. This way all will have the thread for a reference.

This is the Thread link:
http://forum.flitetest.com/showthre...se-quot-ELMER-quot-Thread&p=175537#post175537

Thurmond

Great idea and I will be happy to help in any way I can.

But do you have suggestions for those of us with a license but little to no experience on where to get more advanced questions answered (mine is not RC related as it has to do with setting up a vertical monopole antenna for 10m/15m/20m/40m bands)?

Tritium

Great idea and I will be happy to help in any way I can.

But do you have suggestions for those of us with a license but little to no experience on where to get more advanced questions answered (mine is not RC related as it has to do with setting up a vertical monopole antenna for 10m/15m/20m/40m bands)?

Post it in the thread also. I have not had much hands on myself (Only Licensed 2 years this month) but many here have lots of experience and I bet ALL questions can be answered by someone here. If not then I bet an e-mail to Gordon West can get it answered possibly even answered live on "Ham Nation".

Thurmond

Anyone in the Seattle/Monroe area that's interested in getting their license drop me a line. I'm a VE and I've got friends in a couple of the local clubs. More than happy to Elmer anyone who needs it. I've done a large amount of public safety type work for white water jet boat racing and the like.

I just recently started getting back into RC as I found Flite Test and doing builds on the cheap. I did it when I was little but stuff was way more expensive and after destroying some planes I spent months building I just got tired of it. Dollar Tree Foam Board for the win!

It's not that hard to make general, Exta takes a bit more studying but my wife is proof that anyone can do it. She doesn't have the engineering background I do, but she wanted her vanity callsign.

So yeah add another HAM to the list, AG7FO.

TannimKyraxx

KD9BFS tech class here from the Chicago burbs. Haven't quite gotten started flying just yet, but I am looking forward to this opening up new horizons for me. It will be nice to use my privileges more often.

steveo

I've had my Technicians license since the fall, do not own any equipment though.
KC1CMK Bedford, NH

I got it strictly because I plan at some point to get into FPV (haven't yet because of $) and will want more transmitter power than what is allowed without a license.

aslansknight

KB3QIB here

I'm mostly inactive, but occasionally I listen or hit up the local repeaters. I'm a General class license holder in the eastern panhandle of West By God Virginia. I started out in radio with FRS walkie talkies and, later, a CB rig. It just made sense to go for my Tech license but I was able to pass the General exam as well, so I ended up with that. I mostly use my Yaesu HT, but occasionally I power up the mobile rig in my car.

KB3QIB out.

Mike-n5ozj

You really can "Know (more) before you fly!" And we're all here to help! =-)

Nice thread Mark! Thanks for starting it. Consider me checked in. =-)

And what better forum than the fantastic family friendly FliteTest to bring awareness to the wealth of radio amateurs (HAM operators) that can make a positive contribution to the "Radio Control" hobby we all enjoy.

I have been inspired by the FliteTest team's encouraging, educating and very entertaining delivery in a consistent and professional-looking package. The message is always to have an awesome time of fun and fellowship exploring all aspects RC aircraft while ensuring respect of safety and responsibility. Nice job Chad, Josh, Josh, and the rest of the awesome crew!

If we are to protect our privilege of public flight, we will need to build and demand respect by being leaders in our field promoting the positive and discouraging the negative.

The Amateur Radio hobby is world-wide group of radio enthusiasts having fun with electronics, radio, and communication, willing volunteers of public service, a strong and respected community. We elmer (mentor) each other to deepen our skills and knowledge. We keep each other in line.

The RC flight hobby shares many of the same qualities and challenges especially with explosion of the very popular autonomous(gps)/FPV(xmit)/RC(rcvr) aircraft with its high density of RF generating/listening/suppressing/etc gear on-board. So many conflicting choices can be expensive and frustrating to integrate. Together we can (re)gain the respect of the community by working together, to challenge each other to raise the bar in knowledge, safety and respect, to differentiate ourselves from the negative, to lead.

Together we can be awesome and have fun and fellowship all while doing what we love!

-Mike
n5ozj