HAM's of Flitetest...Say Hello!!!

Mike-n5ozj

Find a HAM Volunteer Examiner (VE) testing session...

Testing for FCC licenses in Amateur Radio and commercial radio is conducted by accredited Volunteer Examiners (VEs) and Volunteer Examiner Coordinators (VECs) as administrative liasons to the FCC.

The two largest VEC organizations are the ARRL and the W5YI Group.

In my area I usually see regular testing sessions (monthly or more often) hosted by clubs and posted on the ARRL "find an amateur radio license exam session" web page.

I usually see the W5YI "HAM IT UP!" Group hosting testing sessions in annual HAM radio conventions. They also have VE contacts list to determine area testing.

My dad was licensed when HAM radio was still pretty new, there were not as many "usable" frequencies, not as much equipment, it was in big (hot) boxes all with big fat discrete/individual components with lots of glowing vacuum tubes (no transistors yet) and big beam antennas with rotators on tops of crank-up towers on HF (High Frequency 10mtr(28MHz), 15mtr(21MHz), 20mtr(14MHz), 40mtr(7MHz), 80mtr(3.5MHz)). My older brothers Scott and Chris were licensed, too. Morse code was very popular. My brother Chris was awarded for 5,13,20,40wpm (words per minute) on a certificate with smoke drawn around the 40wpm because that's smokin' FAST.

I waited until college to get my novice license callsign or "call" ka5zxc, later upgraded to technician and got my n5ozj call. My awesome wife also tested and got her novice *with code*, then later upgraded to tech then tech-plus, and I upgraded to general. With the summer 2014 HAMCOM on the horizon, my daughter and I signed up with HamTestOnline to study. This browser-based service made it very convenient to study by logging in from anywhere or any device, like my phone, to squeeze in just a couple more questions. We attended a W5YI-VEC testing session at the convention. My daughter passed her first HAM test and got her own callsign as a technician! =-) And I passed my Amateur Extra.

Anyway... drifting down memory lane there.

Like you've seen in other posts, its a very approachable test and group of examiners... low cost and no penalty for failing and trying again. Many of us do that all the time when we build->fly->crash->build->fly again!

When you prepare for the test you may find some of it boring, some of it a little difficult; but more you may realize that it is really a broad bunch of material much of which is practical for more than just radio, familiar, common sense; some memorization. You will have basic electrical, radio, procedural, safety, rule book knowledge that will answer questions you have had and give you confidence, tools, community, and ideas for even more. You may find that more power makes it worse, that good connections are actually a really good thing, and that you may be the cause of your own radio interference. You will likely save on parts when you avoid risky radio-conflict situations, and you will know why there is a conflict.

The HamTestOnline web site will let you try studying/testing a bunch (I think the first 50 questions out of the question pool) of each test (technician, general, extra) for free without requiring you to even log in... just pick the course and press [ OK ] to start. I don't get compensation for talking about it. I just found it to be a very helpful tool to me for studying. =-)

While you're at it, think about joining the AMA to stay informed about our hobby at a national level and to help them speak on our behalf.

You CAN actually KNOW BEFORE you fly!

See you on the air and in the air,
-Mike
n5ozj

arizona98tj

Hello fellow hams. N7QJP, General class. Got my Novice ticket back in the early '70s when I was still in high school. Updated to a Conditional class back then. Have been in and out of hobby over the decades. It is one of several hobbies I enjoy, with RC being the most recent one which started last fall.

Stu

Cad

Hello, KF4GWB here. Had my Tech since about '96-97 and in and out of the HAM scene since. Just now picking up this extra wallet drain hobby with a Nano QX 3d as a learner in quads while I research to build an fpv tricopter.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Um . . . Cad . . . wow.

Stay in beginner and intermediate modes. I wouldn't suggest a QX3D as a beginner quad to *anyone*. She's twitchy a all get-out in Evo mode, and the collective control is simply too different, especially as a trainer for a camera ship . . . and the transition between intermediate and evo isn't steep, it's a massive cliff face.

If the money hasn't left your wallet yet, I'd redirect from the QX3D and go instead for the NanoQX FPV.

Cad

Thanks! Yeah I've had the 3d for a few weeks and ran through about 30-40 battery cycles (across 3 batteries) so far. Have done pretty good following the training plan in one of the videos. Heck spent the first few nights just hovering in the living room. Then back and forth, back and forth, facing and away, then side to side etc... I still have all my leds working and still on the original props so I haven't had any really bad crashes yet! Finally moved it outdoors this past weekend and into intermediate mode. Lot of fun! Pattern flying is way easier outside I must say though I still have to work on circling nose in. I purchased a DX8 radio at my LHS when the price dropped and programmed the 3D into it and also flew it flipping the switch between beginner and intermediate mode.

I thought about the Nano fpv but was just too far beyond my wallet right now. I must confess my son has an old original Blade CX I've spent more than a few hours on in the past with him. ;)

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Fair enough.

You should have good success, but when you switch over to evo, add expo to the flap's third position and you might want to mix in some opposing throttle on the lower half to keep the "pitch" positive (or off). Perhaps a good reason to switch over to a "heli" model type and add on a throttle curve.

I've never flown CP before, and my muscle memory is fighting me. Rocketing into the ground when I chop the throttle because I've lost the maneuver (instead of falling dead from the sky) has been less than gratifying . . .

I'm back to feeling like a beginner, but it's worth it! (I keep telling myself) ;)

Last edited:

Cad

yeah, I programmed it in on heli and had no issues so far. Can't remember the switch name but its a 3 position one, short, on the top left that I'm switching modes with. On intermediate I don't have to tap anything to do a 180 flip, just heel the right stick over all the way. The throttle is still normal and not 50/50 too. Did play with the rates between safe and intermediate to get a feel for what's doing what. Played with the mixing to smooth out altitude loss in rotations to just a little success. Goal right now is to get a strong handle on intermediate before moving to bigger craft. I can save the acro (EVO) mode for later.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Actually, if you can keep evo tame and upright (props spinning "forward", simulating positive pitch) you'll be pretty close to the nanoQX's expert behavior, which is a full acro mode . . . and useful for you to learn.

My big complaint with this quad as a trainer is the only non-self-leveling mode is the full-open-CP-3D mode, so there's no graduation from the self-leveling/angle-limited intermediate to flying without self level, but keeping the throttle positive. Just doing that is a valuable skill, especially if you plan to use a tri for aerial photography. If you can use your throttle curve to lock the pitch positive in evo mode, a little bit of expo on the pitch/yaw should train you to keep her level, without having to learn both positive and negative "pitch" at the same time.

My biggest overall complaint with this quad, however, is I don't know how to fly CP!!! (yeah, that's my problem, and I'm working on it ;) )

knowmercy

Just Passed

Just took my HAM technician test and passed. They highly suggested I take the general but I decided not to. Looking back it was a free chance at the test. I'll update with my call sign when I get it. :) Cheers! And there she is! KE8ARB!

Last edited:

edthefox

Greetings All! W5ABT General class reporting in from Oklahoma. I was working on saving for a HF radio when I fell into this hobby.

rondefly

Hi all, just wanted to jump in and say hi. handle is rondefly call is KI6VEY I am a Extra class ham and also a VE. have been in RC for many years but not active for the last 5 yrs. Getting back to it as my son got me a foam Brubaker canard, made from Dollar Tree foam. probably have around 20 models of all types. Still have my instructor certificates for the real birds and have a Q200 experimental in the garage. presently trying to get two airtronics RD6000s going and not getting any more than servo's jittering, the 2.4 radios do fine.
Ron

Basscor

Hey all, kept glossing over this thread and finally came back to post.

KJ6OMA General currently in Bozeman, MT.

I was talking to my dad (KF6AH) about the FPV stuff and he asked if I was transmitting my call sign at at while flying. When I was studying a few years ago I do seem to remember something about having to do that. I have my call sign ready beside me, but not in/around the video stream. Is that something we (collectively) need to worry about or is our info out of date?

OilNBolts

Hello to all, KG6JDC here. I picked up a ham ticket just to be able to fly on 6 meters, but the 2.4 ghz revolution has really changed everything.
Just started on a Versa, discovered first that I knew nothing about hot glue guns. So, waiting on Amazon and playing with foam board. What a great site this is!

TXBob

Hello from NC5T. Just joined the forum and found this thread while looking around. Been a ham since 2010, mostly HF, and into RC off and on since I was a kid.

I was looking into getting back into RC I was amazed at the leap in technology over the last several years! My last plane, and boat for that matter, was still using 72mhz! I was looking into maybe getting another plane when I found the Flite Test folks' videos that led me to the site. I've been looking at the quads and tricopters lately and ordered up one of their kits along with a new 2.4 ghz radio.

This site is a wealth of info and I really appreciate the Flite Test Crew for putting all of this great info out there!

Bob
NC5T

edfjockey

Been flying for more than thirty years and Ham licenced since 91 but BOTH parents and an uncle are all ham's too. My handle is Darin VE3GWO (3 Georgous Women Occupied)LOL. Dad was VE3CWO now also VE3VS and Mom is VE3HQH. I've been hamming it up since I could talk though and worked field day over night since age 7 (OH GOD that's 41years ago tomorrow!!!!!)

73 and 88

And for those who know share an 807 with me tomorow!

VE3GWO QSY and clear.

riskybiz

Hi there. KE6IBZ tech lic in SoCal. Been flying R/C for a long time. Earned my Ham in '94. Handle is Bob (I spell it backwards though)