HAM's of Flitetest...Say Hello!!!

SubZero-AK

Frozen Idiot
@KC2ZPK - John

Hey, just so you know there is an IRLP node in Carmel that is regularly connected to the Alaska Reflector. I don't have the specifics, but KC2CWT has provided the link to a repeater in that area. I believe it is in the 220 mhz band. If you have that capability, stop by and say hi. The propagation over IRLP from NY to AK works perfectly every time!

Mark
WL7NI

KC2ZPK

@KC2ZPK - John

Hey, just so you know there is an IRLP node in Carmel that is regularly connected to the Alaska Reflector. I don't have the specifics, but KC2CWT has provided the link to a repeater in that area. I believe it is in the 220 mhz band. If you have that capability, stop by and say hi. The propagation over IRLP from NY to AK works perfectly every time!

Mark
WL7NI

Yep, Bob is a member of the same club I am in, don't see him much though. Unfortunately I don't have any 220 MHz gear. I have all mode HF, and FM for 2M and 70cm. I need to move out of my condo and into a house before I expand the radio gear. We are out of space as it is now.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Just found this thread. N8INJ here. Got my ticket way back in 3rd grade when I still had to learn morse to get my novice, but upgraded to tech just a few months later. Passed my general written but even after trying a few times just couldn't get my morse at 15wpm so stuck at tech for a long time.

Then high school and college happened and my radios gathered dust.

Few years ago got the bug again and with code no longer being required hit a test day and got my general finally. Since then have done a bunch of fun stuff with radios again (Satellites, QRP, APRS, lots of homebrew, SDR...) http://www.dunephotos.com/Electronics but about 6 years ago I moved and have been lazy about getting my antennas back up at my new house. Finally put my R6 vertical back up last summer but don't have room to keep radios setup right now so it doesn't get used as much as it should.

Have been seriously thinking about an APRS tracker for a plane...but adding yet another signal source doesn't seem like a great idea on an FPV setup :) And to be honest I haven't dug in on FPV yet due to lack of funds. Pretty determined to make it happen this winter though.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Well it pains me to state this here, but I see in most of the FT videos that they are using 900MHz FPV and a 433MHz LRS so I proposed the question in the "Ask Chad" thread what their call signs were . The question has been ignored TWICE so I am beginning to suspect that they are operating WITHOUT a valid Ham License. If I am wrong then I retract my statements. If I am correct then the guys need to "Man Up" and get Legal by getting their Technician Licenses.

Thurmond

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
If I am wrong then I retract my statements. If I am correct then the guys need to "Man Up" and get Legal by getting their Technician Licenses.

Agreed!
(he says self-rightiously, after passing the technicians exam last night)

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
And it only took three tries over 15 years(!) to pass.

Tried twice in college, but didn't take the time to study enough. 15 years of electronics experience later and a reason to sit was all it took ;)

Tritium

And it only took three tries over 15 years(!) to pass.

Tried twice in college, but didn't take the time to study enough. 15 years of electronics experience later and a reason to sit was all it took ;)

It sure helps that there is no Morse Code requirement any more. I always had a hard time deciphering it. ;) Now my computer does it for me! :)

Thurmond

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Well it's official: KK4UEV :D

. . . And glad it only took the bureaucrat 6 days to press the button. Couple more days and I'd have to wait for the Gov to reopen :mad:

SubZero-AK

Frozen Idiot
Congrats KK4UEV!

I strongly encourage you to use your license to grow both hobbies. I would like to see lot more new HAM's out there. If you don't want to run out and buy radio gear, you can always use something like EchoLink to try out your new privileges. It's not really true radio, but if you connect into a linked system like the one I help maintain then you actually are transmitting your voice over radio...lots of radios! So, if you are interested check out:

http://www.echolink.org/

Once you get that configured, connect to: KL7M

KL7M is the portal into a system of connected radios up here in Alaska (The Alaska Reflector), spreading out all over the world. We have regulars that come on from Australia and New Zealand.

I would like to make the Alaska Reflector the un-official hang out for Flite Test Hams!

My only suggestion if you decide to use EchoLink get a headset. That brings the microphone close to your mouth making the transmission much more clear. EchoLink's audio quality is sub-par because of the compression they choose to use (GSM). However, it's a great way to become comfortable with the jargon.

Again, Congrats!

73's
Mark
WL7NI

robschonk

When I went from Novice to General, I went from KA4SCG to N4JKL. Passed Advanced the next month, and would have got K?4??. Kinda liked what I had so I kept it. Back then, you needed 20 WPM for Extra, and I was a solid 18, but never bothered with the upgrade.

Back then, in the late '70's, the old timers were W4XXX Or K4XXX, and the guys who has been licensed 15 years were WB4XXX. Your call sort of defined your place in the pecking order. Now with vanity calls....

Last edited:

robschonk

Hey good one shawn
Its a great hobby. Just watch out for that HF bug because it bites hard

One way to scratch that itch is with a used Radio Shack 10 meter rig and a modified CB antenna. Used to drive around working into Europe like they were next door.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:

Tritium

License upgrade Thurmond?

No I passed my Technician and General Exams on the same day last January and my Extra Class in February. It was just a few weeks ago that the call sign with my initials came out of it's 2 year waiting period so I applied for it and it was granted on the 15th of November.

Thurmond