HAM's of Flitetest...Say Hello!!!

HiHi,HoHo, OM's... Brand new to RC, though it was actually a pretty big part of the hobby, when I became a HAM over 40 years ago, and I was interested in it then, but it was sooooo expensive, that the interest quickly waned. I am not on the air at the moment, but RC Flight has fallen into my price range and I am getting started with it, so hopefully I will soon be in the air! I have a "newbie outfit" on the way, including a FlySky FS i6X and a SkyHawk V2 940 that I am going to build as a single pusher. I am Learning on a couple of RC sims, and I am here to tell you, it's not as easy as it looks, but by the time my kit is all here and I can put it together (slow boats, and all that...), I'll be ready. This is not my bird, but this is what it will look like, including the FPV...
Skyhawk.V2.FPV.png
To be honest, if I had found Flite Test before I bought this, I would be building an FT Explorer, instead, and that is still in the plans. Truth is I may build it first so as to decrease the risk to my pretty, expensive, store bought play-pretty....
73 de
K4DFH, Dave, Extra
QTH, Lugoff, SC

Last edited:
No, receive only
Go ahead, take the plunge. There are lots of great resources on the web to learn from. Two great resources that I guarantee will win your license if you do your part, are Dave (KE0OG) Casler's lessons on YouTube, and Hamstudy.org, After being off the air and out of radio for over a decade, I got my Extra in 2 weeks time with these resources. You have nothing to lose, and a world to gain!

Flite Risk

Similarly the flight test tech Channel is amazing and the crew taught me everything I know about the principles of RC flight.

Another great resource for RC flight painless360, he focuses mainly on the Open TX protocol for receivers and transmitters. His content is pure gold.

lastly but certainly not least of all, the fine members of this forum. but you already know that because you are here. The people that contribute here are some of the most talented people in the hobby oh, you know who you guys are. I'll take an opportunity to say thank you to all you guys who helped me on my RC Journey.

if it's not on your radar as a thing to do, look into flitefest when it returns. there is nothing like it in the world. The camaraderie and Insanity in the air is so much fun

Similarly the flight test tech Channel is amazing and the crew taught me everything I know about the principles of RC flight.

Another great resource for RC flight painless360, he focuses mainly on the Open TX protocol for receivers and transmitters. His content is pure gold.

lastly but certainly not least of all, the fine members of this forum. but you already know that because you are here. The people that contribute here are some of the most talented people in the hobby oh, you know who you guys are. I'll take an opportunity to say thank you to all you guys who helped me on my RC Journey.

if it's not on your radar as a thing to do, look into flitefest when it returns. there is nothing like it in the world. The camaraderie and Insanity in the air is so much fun

I am binge watching Painless 360 right now ;)

I am very much looking forward to FliteFest, My son lives near Columbus, so I get to kill two birds with one stone, I have seen some of the posted videos of festivals. I only live a couple of hours from Triple Tree.

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Hey.. while this thread seems to have been awakened again.. Maybe some of you guys who will be going to Flite Fest that can administer the tests should start coordinating now.

I asked before back for FF18 and it was too late to organize testing. I am sure it would be a huge benefit to the community as well as maybe help you guys with some hobby cash. Maybe even get with FT core team and work things out who knows what could develop from talking to them as well.

the_law_man01

Well isn't this a delight to find!

I've been flying RC for about 12 years or so now and got my HAM license Feb 2021. I tested from zero to General on my first attempt. Currently studying for the Amateur Extra.

I've been flying FPV quads for about a year now. I'm hoping to do a bit of research and install a DJI Air Unit into something like a Kit Fox. My in-laws and my parents each live along rivers. My plan is to begin doing some FPV sand/gravel bar flying at some point.

KF0DYL

FlyinHam

I'm new to Flite Test and it is great to see so many hams on here. Ham radio has been an awesome hobby for me. I got my Novice license in 1970 and Extra in 1975. My main interests have always been homebrew, QRP and CW.

Of course back in the day you pretty much had to be a ham to fly RC. Then as commercial radio gear became available it was nice to be a ham because you didn't have to worry much about someone else being on your channel. Now of course none of that maters with 2.4GHz. I still fly primarily with the 6 meter gear that I built from ACE RC kits in the 80s and 90s. I just converted my very first transmitter (built in 1981) to 2.4GHz though and I'm starting to get interested in playing with some of the OpenTX transmitters I have been reading about.
73 - Jerry - W0PWE

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Back when FPV was starting to get popular, and the HAM license requirements were being pushed, I spoke with some friends who had their license. I suggested making some training to make it easier for reluctant FPV pilots to get legal.

The ones I spoke with were against it. It boiled down to "if it was hard for them, it should be hard for others. if you make to easy, then just anyone can get into it".

So, instead, the FPV pilots went on flying, without the licensing. And here we are years later, and no one has seen much fuss about it legally. So few people care to bother with the process.

I'm hoping that the FTCA really takes off. And that local FTCA groups can partner with HAM clubs, and work together to get more people educated and licensed. Flite Test has always been about education, and getting more people into the hobby. As they move forward, I think partnerships will be the key to future successes.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Back when FPV was starting to get popular, and the HAM license requirements were being pushed, I spoke with some friends who had their license. I suggested making some training to make it easier for reluctant FPV pilots to get legal.

The ones I spoke with were against it. It boiled down to "if it was hard for them, it should be hard for others. if you make to easy, then just anyone can get into it".

So, instead, the FPV pilots went on flying, without the licensing. And here we are years later, and no one has seen much fuss about it legally. So few people care to bother with the process.

I'm hoping that the FTCA really takes off. And that local FTCA groups can partner with HAM clubs, and work together to get more people educated and licensed. Flite Test has always been about education, and getting more people into the hobby. As they move forward, I think partnerships will be the key to future successes.

I tried to get that ball rolling for HAMs to at least set up test times for people who were ready and studied like myself. But having an official class as part of Flite Fest or any FTCA sanctioned event would be awesome way to get people not only legal but maybe make an extra $ or two for the seat time to pass on to STEM of other supported efforts.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Here's our chance!

Not to bash the AMA, but that's something they should have partnered up with. So, as I mentioned above, whoever takes lead for their local area within the FTCA, they should reach out to the local HAM club, explain what they want to do, and see if they can get some partnership going. Even if only a portion of the people end up taking the next step and going into HAM for the radio side of it, it's helping grow their club better than not working with us at all.

boogieloo

HAM radios? The transmitter works something like that. It finds something to bind. At the correct frequency. Until it is found. Then it uses that frequency.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
HAM radios? The transmitter works something like that. It finds something to bind. At the correct frequency. Until it is found. Then it uses that frequency.

At one time, model aviation was part of amature radio in the USA.

JayMor

Was licensed as no code Technician in 1995. Then when I realized the CW requirements had finally been dropped, I sat down at a local HAM fest and tested through Extra. I've been very inactive for the last decade or so, but as we're starting to get into the RC Plane hobby for the kids, I also just found the local HAM club seems to meet/dinners all around our address, so perhaps will get back into that too - since we seem to be in the center of it.

Glad to see this thread here and look forward to seeing if there is cross over. Sounds like FPV is working on "unlicensed" spectrum. Watching some of the FT videos with it - seems to be pretty "noisy". I'm not sure if there is any advantage to more power/different frequencies on the HAM bands for video... have never explored that part of the hobby. Really only slightly familiar with Slow Scan TV, and that wouldn't be too useful for FPV at all. :giggle:

Anyway, glad to see this post here.