HAM's of Flitetest...Say Hello!!!

robschonk

Nice score Thurmond

@Rob
Bet that rig spent some time on 11m ;-)

Nope. Radio Shack went to extraordinary lengths to make it un modifiable. There were (and still are) plenty of 11/10 meter radios available, but I was licensed, so why bother. Not to say that The Blue Goose in Southeastern Virginia was any slacker back in the '60's.....

robschonk

;-)
That HTX-10 can be mars/cap modded, it's quit easy.

Well, at the time, I went thru every ham mod page on the internet, and the unanimous opinion was it couldn't be done. Not that I was all that interested, but a challenge is a challenge.....

Now my TS-430 is unlocked from 150khz to 30mhz. Not that I'm claiming to have used it on the marine HF freqs, mind you.

And my dual band HT.... Well, you get the idea.

Just that I considered 11 meters and between a wasteland. I had better ways to spend my time.

boomerboy66

I'm a beginner what transmitter would be best for ft flyer power pack you can buy from lazertoys.com wich transmitter best fits that power pack

vk2dxn

Take a look at the hobby king web site.
You can pick up an orange brand tx for around $65 and receiver for as little as $5.
The turnigy 9x & 9xr are good with the frsky module.
If I could do it all again I would defiantly get the frsky taranis, it is a little more advanced but has all functions in one box for when you expand the hobby

Link
Found this, turnigy 9x (mode 2) with module and receiver for $53
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/..._Module_8ch_Receiver_Mode_2_v2_Firmware_.html

Last edited:

shandman

Art - KK4CCE here and my first post. Sorry to say that although I've been licensed for 3 years, I've yet to press a PTT button on a radio! Pretty sad. BUT- having just recently 'discovered' FPV, I'm ready to parlay that license and a good number of years of conventional RC flying into the best of both worlds. Been doing a bunch a reading here, and more to go... I'd like to understand the ins and outs of using the 'ham bands' for FPV. I'm guessing I'll come across some good info here, but if anyone can suggest some good sources of information on the application of ham band to FPV, please do!

Bill

Hi - Bill here, NW6O. I am very new to R/C, I used to fly a Blade heli and I am dying to try the speed build kits from Flite Test. That new Mustang looks awesome. I have an extra HAM license but I am just getting into HF. Anyone interested in getting licensed should check out hamtestonline. It is a pay service, but the price is very reasonable and their service is a very efficient and effective way to prepare for the ham tests.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Hi - Bill here, NW6O. I am very new to R/C, I used to fly a Blade heli and I am dying to try the speed build kits from Flite Test. That new Mustang looks awesome. I have an extra HAM license but I am just getting into HF. Anyone interested in getting licensed should check out hamtestonline. It is a pay service, but the price is very reasonable and their service is a very efficient and effective way to prepare for the ham tests.

Welcome Bill, I see that you earned your extra class about a month after I did. Congratulations.

Thurmond

Tfelog

W2PET here. I've had my ticket for a few years now. I haven't been on the air since I got rid of my old truck 3 years ago and never put it in my new truck.

SteevyT

I just passed my technician exam today. Just waiting on my callsign now. They offered to let me take the general exam even though I didn't plan on it, missed passing that by 3 questions.

Tjhogg

Just passed my test today just my tech and also awaiting my Callsign hope to get it before flitefest

KD8ZBT

Last edited:

RoyBro

Mentor
I just finished my Technician course. I'm pretty sure I could ace the test if I took it today. Unfortunately, I have to wait til mid-July to take it. IF I miss that date, the next test isn't until September. I guess I'll keep taking practice tests online to keep it fresh until test day.

sarpilot

Jake KC0UXP
learning the craft of the quadcopter for search and rescue use from flitetest,
thanks for all the help!

RoyBro

Mentor
Woo-hoo! I just passed the technician test this morning. They offered to let me take the general test for free. Unfortunately I hadn't looked at the general license questions. I haven't seen so much red pencil since third grade spelling. :black_eyed:

earthsciteach

Congrats, Roybro! I need to get my license, as well. But, is there a point, now? I mean, if fpv is illegal according to the FAA, why should I also worry about violating FCC regulations?

RoyBro

Mentor
Congrats, Roybro! I need to get my license, as well. But, is there a point, now? I mean, if fpv is illegal according to the FAA, why should I also worry about violating FCC regulations?

Thanks Teach,

Maybe I'm an optimist, but I can't believe that this will stand. Especially given the latest court decision and the fact that one of the Congressmen sitting on the committee that oversees the FAA is hired a photographer that used a model helicopter to get aerial video of his wedding. Although I think the most significant is the case won by the volunteer rescue group in Texas.