Hand launch fails 😔

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Yea its something that has happened to me a few times. My issue was not enough power in the throttle and/or the toss. You said you have gone through a handful of planes with no flight yet?

What plane do you currently have?

Do you have any vids of the offending launches?

Gonna need some details to help you diagnose the issue my friend. Maybe we can talk you through the problem so you can get some quality airtime. Sound fair?

shadeyB

Legendary member
At first it was a hard left hand bank, second was nose dive, third and in have been nose dive with a bank right
Lol sound like every time I went out to fly 😖

what plane are you trying to launch ?
how have you been trying to throw them

quorneng

Master member
From what you are describing your plane is not flying when you have launched it.
A hand launch does not guarantee a plane will fly, it has to be able to fly to start with.
If the plane has to fly particularly fast but has only just enough power to fly it will be very difficult to hand launch.
So as shadeyB asks what plane (a picture helps), what motor, prop, battery and how much does it weigh?
With this sort of detail it may be possible to determine if it can fly and the chances of a successful hand launch.

NavyFlier

Yea its something that has happened to me a few times. My issue was not enough power in the throttle and/or the toss. You said you have gone through a handful of planes with no flight yet?

What plane do you currently have?

Do you have any vids of the offending launches?

Gonna need some details to help you diagnose the issue my friend. Maybe we can talk you through the problem so you can get some quality airtime. Sound fair?

NavyFlier

I have several planes that I have tried to fly. A couple FT designs, and a few of my own. I don't know how to reduce the video size of one of my attempts to fly it. As far as setup goes, I went with the FT speed build kit and C Power Pack with recommended 3C 2200mAh battery.

I have built several planes and I can't figure out how to hand launch. Can anyone help please?

Yeah I'm a newbie too. My first plane wouldn't fly, I just repeatedly threw it and it repeatedly crashed. Turns out it needs to be trimmed correctly and CG adjusted. (I will when I get around to it.)

My next two planes just fly right out of my hand, to the point where I'm getting lazy with the toss - I wind up as often as not just tossing even slightly downward and it still flies awesome.

For me with the plane balanced correctly and trimmed correctly it'll take off for you just fine. (If it's a good flyable plane to begin with.) I've been setting my throttle at around 65% and with a bit of up elevator. Hope this helps.

quorneng

Master member
NavyFlier
Without more details of exactly which FT speed build kit and its weight my guess is your plane is heavy for its size.
A 'C' power pack and a 2200 mAh 3s battery is intended for larger planes (50" span?) and thus are heavy for something at the 30" span.
Hand launching such a combination would be difficult as it would not be a flying speed as it left your hand and would have to rely on its excess thrust to get to flying speed before it hit the ground. Sounds easy but too much throttle and the motor torque will cause it to roll over and crash, too little power and it will never get to flying speed and crash.
My suggestion is you need to loose a whole chunk of weight (smaller motor, prop & battery) so it will be able to fly at a speed you can sensibly achieve with a 'controlled' hand launch.

NavyFlier

Yeah I'm a newbie too. My first plane wouldn't fly, I just repeatedly threw it and it repeatedly crashed. Turns out it needs to be trimmed correctly and CG adjusted. (I will when I get around to it.)

My next two planes just fly right out of my hand, to the point where I'm getting lazy with the toss - I wind up as often as not just tossing even slightly downward and it still flies awesome.

For me with the plane balanced correctly and trimmed correctly it'll take off for you just fine. (If it's a good flyable plane to begin with.) I've been setting my throttle at around 65% and with a bit of up elevator. Hope this helps.

Which planes are you currently flying? I have a FT Bloody Barron built, but am apprehensive to toss it for fear of the crash.

NavyFlier

NavyFlier
Without more details of exactly which FT speed build kit and its weight my guess is your plane is heavy for its size.
A 'C' power pack and a 2200 mAh 3s battery is intended for larger planes (50" span?) and thus are heavy for something at the 30" span.
Hand launching such a combination would be difficult as it would not be a flying speed as it left your hand and would have to rely on its excess thrust to get to flying speed before it hit the ground. Sounds easy but too much throttle and the motor torque will cause it to roll over and crash, too little power and it will never get to flying speed and crash.
My suggestion is you need to loose a whole chunk of weight (smaller motor, prop & battery) so it will be able to fly at a speed you can sensibly achieve with a 'controlled' hand launch.
FT Corsair

Which planes are you currently flying? I have a FT Bloody Barron built, but am apprehensive to toss it for fear of the crash.
I'm still afraid of launching too! But I have no reason to - a good-flying plane will take off just fine.
Well mine are all small scratchbuilt planes of my own design, based on basic flitetest techniques. The Bloody Barron should give you no troubles but I'm not the expert there - someone else here needs to verify.
The basics: A bit more throttle than it'll need for level flight, a little up elevator and you'll correct right away as it climbs. (Because up works better than down. I know - I've tested it. :D)
It's super scary at first. And then you're flying! Remember it's just a toy you made out of craft supplies. ;)

FT mini corsair or master series corsair?
That's a good question. The warplanes run hotter - they need more airspeed and need to be trimmed with more precision. Somebody please verify the Bloody Barron will be more forgiving.

Timmy

Legendary member
My 2 cents:

I've noticed that a lot of my friends can't actually hand launch a plane, even if the plane flies. They always end up giving the plane some twist or something. The trick is to not flick your wrist, give it a straight launch and about 15-30 degrees up. Maybe get a Walmart glider or a paper airplane or something to practice hand launching on?

Last edited:

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
The Bloody Baron is an awesome little plane, it has a wide speed envelope depending on where you set the CG. You could fly slow/hang off the prop with a rearward CG or run fast and sporty with a forward CG. But because Its so maneuverable its not really a beginners plane, neither is the Corsair. But we are talking about hand launching, I would say built the Simple Scout, or the Tiny Trainer as starter planes. Hand launch with about 70% throttle and throw it like a baseball upwards about 30 degrees. When I say like a baseball, toss it like you mean it.

Do your checks before hand, CG, surfaces, etc. like others have said, and it should start flying. Get it in the air and start flying my friend, lets get this hand tossing thing behind you

M

MCNC

It took me a while to get my TT and Scout to fly. Became more successful when I plugged the rudder servo into the aileron channel.

Ok after like a dozen failed launches in rapid succession I said Stop Right There. Put together an easy "dumb" build that'll fly well. I did, it was a simple stick design, I didn't think I'd be impressed with it but I wound up loving it, and it flew great. So you proved you can build. Now focus on flying, try a plane that's easy to fly if you need to.