Hand launch hack-job

Copperbricks

Official crash tester
One time I was testing some stuff on my parkzone wildcat, and I blipped the throttle enough to chop off some skin near my fingernail-ouch!

Cj1Corbystarlet

I guess its all down to technique when launching pusher aircraft, my self have launches pushers running flat out literally hundreds and hundreds of times and never been bitten by a prop, maybe one day ill get a mate to video me launching and see what i do?

But i do have a Enya 15 scar on my left knuckle when my phone started to vibrate in my pocket, it put me off ballance moving my leg and Bam!

One other thing i highly stress to people is also the vicinity of dogs around aircraft, i have seen first hand 2 incidents when a dog has walked into a prop, first on was and ic r/c trainer idling in a field and the owners dog decided to have a sniff of the plane before i could reach over and kill the switch on the pilots transmitter it was all over, the dogs jaw made contact with the prop and had extensive jaw and rhinoplasty done, the dog was rushed to the vet but was unable to recover from the operation.

The second incident was on a airfield with a full size Cessna172 taxing out on the apron, a Labrador (sp) ran out and made contact with the prop, the dog was instantly killed and spread out over a 100 ft area, not pleasant to see and clean up, the engine and prop on the cessna had to be "bulk stripped" and inspected, leaving the insurance company about 30K out of pocket.

Just remember almost anything can make it's way into a prop no mater what size it is.

Regards
Ben

BigDon

Two of the biggest problems you see when hand launching pushers is that the pilot has too much throttle and/or is applying up elevator at the moment of launch...both things which can push the back of the plane down and into the fingers of the person launching the plane for you.