HAND LAUNCHING POWER MODELS

Keno

Hand launching powered models for can be a problem for some and other a non-issue. Those who have, bad throwing arm, nerves, coordination, worry, safety, or whatever need help. The safes way for those with difficulty is to have a fellow flier launch their model. If you don’t have this option other methods may suit your need. The bungy system, “Hai-Lee has addressed this method many times. I have another Idea that may work but have found no mention of it. What if you were to mount a holding seat on the top of a pole stick having spring (fishing pole) or maybe springy water pipe may work. This type of device could be held in hand and whipped forward. Of maybe stuck in the ground and pulled back and released, “plane launched”. Probably, another hair brained idea of little value. Just want to get others opinion on this subject.

slipshift

The springy pole is an interesting idea. You might need a stop for the pole to allow the plane to unhook(?) so it won't just bury the plane on the other side of it's arc. Maybe you can test it with chuck gliders.

Jim

Keno

The springy pole is an interesting idea. You might need a stop for the pole to allow the plane to unhook(?) so it won't just bury the plane on the other side of it's arc. Maybe you can test it with chuck gliders.

Jim
The chuck glider is a good idea. Hopefully the model would be gone at the top of the arc, but I can visualize your concern.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Whilst investigating this idea perhaps you could modify the "Holding seat", to allow the provision of wheels and a steering servo so that it doubles as a trolley for taxiing and ground run take-offs!

Just a thought!

Have fun!

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Wild idea - would love to see someone give it a try! Personally I do the toss with my left hand and keep the right hand on the stick - after pushing the throttle up with my chin or my right hand (when wearing the transmitter on a lanyard). Only failed spectacularly a couple times o_O

Keno

Whilst investigating this idea perhaps you could modify the "Holding seat", to allow the provision of wheels and a steering servo so that it doubles as a trolley for taxiing and ground run take-offs!

Just a thought!

Have fun!
The thought is good and I did think about it and failed to mention the trolley launch method in my original post. That is an method that has proven as is the bungy launch. Just looking for other simple launch ideas. I could go to Wally World and buy a cheap RC vehicle and mount a launch plate on its top. Novel launch method, maybe give it a try for fun. Maybe its driver could have toss it into the air. Please, I am not trying to controversial, just trying to hear about any new launching ideas for impaired fliers.

Rockyboy: just read your post, Oh yes I too have done the same and also used the under hand launch. I guess if we over power our models we could fly off an elevated static platform, LOL.

Anyway, everybody take care and love to hear your opinions and ideas